Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs Believes in this team: the team doesn't believe in themselves

skins4eva

This team doesn't believe in themselves. Case in point: the balls out fourth down conversion which lead to a touchdown. That showed an enormous amount of faith in a struggling offense. It worked beatifully, and should have provided the offense/team with the confidence to destroy cleveland. But, Gibbs can only do so much from the sidelines, and ultimately, the players on the field have to make plays, and stop making excuses.

Some random thoughts

Yesterday Baldinger kept harping on how Jeff Garcia told him how he was struggling to grasp the new terminology of the browns offense, and how he had to think during the play about where the players where, and what route was being run by whom. It was effecting his play, because he couldn't just react naturally. The system was completely different than what he was used to in San Fran.

Now if 1 player learning a system is hurting the browns offense, imagine trying to get 11 players all on the same page. Gibbs system is new to all our players, and the ones from last season, it is a complete 180 from Spurriers. Everything from blocking schemes, to reads, to routes by the WR. Portis is still trying to learn his timing with the OL. Brunell has said Gibbs has asked to do things different than what he has done before..... and much of Gibbs offense is based on timing. Everyone has seen a car run when it's timing is off. The offense right now is sputtering at times and is stalling on third downs and in the red zone. Gibbs is all about ball control and setting up the big play. If we can't make third downs, or score TD's in the red zone and the timing is off on big plays... kind of explains 15 points a game avg.

Also I posted this earlier... right now the Skins are not catching any breaks. Seems like they are getting the short end of officials calls, they are having turnovers that are game changers, and not getting any to aid them. And the offense right now is not good enough to overcome these obstacles currently. Our schedule is considered one of the most difficult to begin with, we have already faced some tough defenses which is difficult for a team learning a new offense. Unlike the Giants & Dallas we had to play the Browns on the road the day Suggs returns, a little thing but it adds up when you are struggling.

Right now what the Skins need more than anything else IMO is some success. Something to build on. Even if it is a bad call in our favor, or a fumble or Int returned for a TD.. something to give us an edge to help push the offense over for a victory. The offense is playing tight, and all the games are within a few points. If the offense could play with a 10 plus point lead I think we would see it open up more, we need to get opposing defenses on their heels, trying to prevent more points, instead of attacking our offense in a close scoring ball game. A little success breeds confidence which will allow players to relax and let the plays come naturally which will add in improved timing and better plays which will lead to more points and victories which will build more success..etc....

Originally posted by codeorama

Bubba, I agree with you, but the devil's advocates will say, what about Atlanta?

That's the problem is that Skins fans see success in other areas that are fast and they expect the same.

that is where the breaks going in their favor comes in. Atlanta only scored 6 points last week, but they played a bad Az. team at home who only scored 3 Pts. The Giants gotthe 7 turnovers against us. And yesterday got a INT off a ball in the air pass that lead to an easy TD. Plus Favre got knocked out of the game and they where playing against Pederson the 2nd half. little things that help obtain a victory. The Giants are building confidence. If the game against us was the reverse and we were aided by a bunch of Giant turnovers... I think the Giants would be 0-4 or 1-3 right now.

Originally posted by bubba9497

that is where the breaks going in their favor comes in. Atlanta only scored 6 points last week, but they played a bad Az. team at home who only scored 3 Pts. The Giants gotthe 7 turnovers against us. And yesterday got a INT off a ball in the air pass that lead to an easy TD. Plus Favre got knocked out of the game and they where playing against Pederson the 2nd half. little things that help obtain a victory. The Giants are building confidence. If the game against us was the reverse and we were aided by a bunch of Giant turnovers... I think the Giants would be 0-4 or 1-3 right now.

Good points. Like I said, I agree with you, but I think so many get upset because they see instant success elsewhere.:cheers:

Archived