Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Keying on Portis

RWJ

I have said this for the last couple weeks and it continues to happen. Teams will continue to key on Portis and until our passing game starts to open up we are doomed!!! Once the passing game opens up the running game will start to take off again.

That's what the offensive coaches want: the defenses to key on Clinton Portis. They leave themselves open to playaction which is very effective against teams playing the run.

I don't think we've seen a game this season where the first offensive play is a pass. We've started all our games with rushes.

If Coach Gibbs call more pass plays on first down, the running game will definetly pick up.

Yes, there were alot of downs yesterday where the Browns defense was stacking 8 or 9 guys in the box. I was surprised that we didn't see Gibbs having Brunell taking more shots deep downfield. I only saw two plays, one complete to Coles down the middle and another one in desperation late to Gardner down the sideline were he was covered.

Part of the reason people stack the box is because we aren't beating them with our WRs. Our WRs don't seem to be getting open as much as they should. There were several times where the pass protection was good and Brunell was not able to find an open receiver. This is a serious concern, especially since many of us thought our WRs were one of the strengths of this team.

Like I will say again. Portis does not deserve this blame for yardage, just for fumbles. The threat of having him is leaving a number of things open, he is doing his job to help the passing game, the passing game isnt doing its job to help Portis.

Yes, there were alot of downs yesterday where the Browns defense was stacking 8 or 9 guys in the box. I was surprised that we didn't see Gibbs having Brunell taking more shots deep downfield. I only saw two plays, one complete to Coles down the middle and another one in desperation late to Gardner down the sideline were he was covered.

Part of the reason people stack the box is because we aren't beating them with our WRs. Our WRs don't seem to be getting open as much as they should. There were several times where the pass protection was good and Brunell was not able to find an open receiver. This is a serious concern, especially since many of us thought our WRs were one of the strengths of this team.

1. Our offensive line can't hold back defenders on its own.
  2. In response, we stick two TEs in the box to help protect the QB in a "max protect" scheme.
  3. We only have two WRs running routes, one of which has a sore toe, who have difficulty getting open.
  4. We are ineffective in the passing game with two WRs, so teams stack the box, creating more pressure on the QB.

It's a vicious circle...

Archived