Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoot and Springs

Golgo-13

I just wanted to point out that I think our corners played an outstanding game. Smoot had the one freak play where he was going for the pick and Bryant somehow got the catch but otherwise they seemed to be in on every play and covering very well. Springs seems like the real deal to me as well. I don't recall any catches being made on his man and he had an AWESOME hit on Meshawn. That was one of my favorite plays of the game. I think these guys will only get better as the season goes on.

Listening to both Smoot and Springs after the game made me know these guys will be able to get it done.

Shut down corner. How many times have we heard that. Oh yeah, Newman......shut down corner. Didn't look like he was shutting down much last night.......more like a latch on to the jersey corner.

And I don't think Bailey would have faired any better. Smoot is taking the lead. Oh yeah, he and Ryan Clark had that disaster split. But Clark looked lost. Let's just keep him off the field.

Springs is a good match for Smoot.

Taylor needs to wrap up his man. He seemed to want to make that "big play" and not get down to the fundamentals of tackling.

He will be great.......of that there is no question. Just not yet.

Blondie

I'm surprised at just how good Springs has been. No one is even looking his way so far. He certainly has been more of a shut down corner than Bailey was last year in that no one is even looking at him. Smoot is challenged more, but has responded nicely. On the one play this year he was beaten by Bryant, it was exceptional coverage and he just misplayed the ball. You can live with that until it becomes obvious it's a normal thing. Like you saw with Bailey where he was often in good coverage only to get beaten. Until Smoot develops a similar book on him we're good here.

I think it's very clear we have the best pair of corners in the division right now, and perhaps the best title extends further than that. The question is whether we have the top two corners individually in the division as well at this point.

I've been thoroughly impressed with our secondary play so far. Smoot, plays with intensity. When people throw his way he know exactly how to get to the ball, and keep the receiver away. Springs, on the other hand, I hardly have heard his name on passing downs. That's because no one is evening testing him. When they have, he's defended it very well.

Another great thing about our corners is their ability to play in blitz packages. You saw Smoot get to Testverde last night, and bat the ball down just as he tried to throw. I've seen Springs get in there as well. I'm pleased with their play so far.

When you allow a defensive player to be aggressive and not worry too much about the things going on around him, you get the play we saw last night. Damn good.

Our defense is fine and their going to need to keep helping us in games until our offense gets into its groove (which started last night)

Just amazing performance, they were left out on islands a lot this game and we didnt get to Vinny fast. That is the hardest thing to do in the NFL, cover 1 on 1, esecially that long. And the only thing they gave up was the pass to Bryant which was not Smoots fault it was just Bryant making a great play, Smoot had the pick.

These guys have just been amazing.

If Harris continues to play like he's been playing, don't be suprised if the team thinks long and hard about the long-term commitment to Smoot.

I like Smoot... although I think he gets more talk and praise due to his personna more than his play. The Bryant catch last night is his game in a microcosm... going for the INT in tight coverage and allowing Bryant to out position him for the ball. In fact, Bryant may be Smoot's career nemesis... much like Irvin to D. Green.

I also think Smoot and Springs are both playing very well. Yes, Smoot went for the pick last night on the pass to Bryant, but Bryant made an excelent play on the ball and came up with it. Credit goes where it's due. Smoot had very good coverage, had good position on the ball, and Bryant simply made the right move to get the ball.

The breakdown that allowed Richie Anderson to get freee up the sidelines was kind of disturbing, since that's the second time in two weeks one of our safeties has been burned in a zone coverage.

~Bang

Overall I think Smoot played great, except for the one played mentioned by Golgo. He shouldn't have been going for the pick, if he defended the reciever instead of going for the ball he would have broken it up.

I loved seeing Springs break up the screen pass. He got off his block and made a great play. Its a good thing when you dont hear a corners name all game, you know he is doing job.

Ryan Clark on the other hand played like crap. He got beat for a couple of big plays.

Springs who I believe was covering Keyshawn most of the game, gave up one catch to him, he's been playing fantastic and the reason you haven't heard his name that much is because he's been shutting peope down.

The national media jumped on the fact that although the Broncos lost Portis, they were still very solid at RB (Which they aren't) but what they failed to realize was even with losing Champ, with Springs, Smoot, and Taylor who trust me will be a superstar, we are also very solid with our pass coverage, Lott and Harris aren't scrubs either, when you consider all this who really won the trade, we did!!! although it should work out fine for both teams.

I was very impressed with Spring's play last night. He quickly went and interrupted the wr screen. On the other hand, Smoot is another story. Yes, he played well.. but not when he needed to. Sure he was step for step with Bryant but he mis-played the ball.. he kept running while Bryant slowed down enough and that allowed him to get the ball. Then there was the HUGE misplay on 3rd down that allowed Anderson to go on the sideline and make that play. If you go back and see that play, one can see that Taylor had the flat covered, and that Smoot too tried to cover the flat ALSO!, allowing Anderson to fly right by him. I am alomost certain that was a blown coverage by smoot and not anyone else. Both those plays by Smoot led to COWBOYS scores..... :-/

Guest Gichin13

Umm, I thought Smoot had underneath and released him to the safety that replaced Bowen when he got hurt. Same guy that bit on the halfback option play ...

I think both corners are playing surprisingly solid. They are going to give up a play now and again, especially with us blitzing so much. Main defensive issue to me is pass rush on the D Line -- it would be alot better to get pressure without having to take so many risks on every play. Have to praise the defense against the run though, we are playing pretty stout against rushing so far.

Originally posted by mh83

Springs who I believe was covering Keyshawn most of the game, gave up one catch to him, he's been playing fantastic and the reason you haven't heard his name that much is because he's been shutting peope down.

The national media jumped on the fact that although the Broncos lost Portis, they were still very solid at RB (Which they aren't) but what they failed to realize was even with losing Champ, with Springs, Smoot, and Taylor who trust me will be a superstar, we are also very solid with our pass coverage, Lott and Harris aren't scrubs either, when you consider all this who really won the trade, we did!!! although it should work out fine for both teams.

Actually Springs wasnt holding keshaun on that on pass play he caught. I think it was Walt Harris.

Archived