Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could tonight's game be Sean Tayor's break out game?

Johnny Punani2

Could the big game against the Cowboys tonight be Taylor's break out game?

I'm thinking there is a good chance it will since the Cowboys will try and throw it down field. I think Williams will start him tonight and use him a lot more then the last two games. Look for Taylor to make a big impact tonight. Anyone thinking the same?

I just hope he doesn't underestimate Vinny's arm strength. The old guy can still throw the football if given the time in the pocket.

It will be interesting to see how all the players rise to the occasion. I find it hard to believe our "O" is going to be able to do well vs. that "D". This should be a low scoring battle of defenses.

I would say "NO" for two reasons:

1) The weather is probably going to be nasty which means the passing games will be retarded and both teams will be trying to establish the run. Fewer opportunities for obvious passing down packages that would involve Taylor.

2) Williams (I won't say Gibbs anymore since the D is obviously Greg's baby) still seems unready or unwilling to unleash Taylor. Apparently Lott is too much of a bookworm/film geek to be supplanted in his starting role, despite Taylor's overwhelming physical superiority.

I can appreciate the argument that there's no need to rush things when we have the #1 D and that's not the glaring weakness of this team. But if we continue to lose games, I think it will become apparent that we need PLAYMAKERS, especially with LaVar out.

I'll trade Sean getting burned once or twice a game for his huge sack, fumble recovery, INT return for a touchdown, etc. We need that. And as a fan, those plays get me excited and make the game fun to watch. That agonizing display last week was NOT fun to watch in any way. Sean will perform when given the chance, and like a big time running back, he needs lots of touches to increase his potential for breaking a big one.

Release the hounds, Greg!

This year, Sean Taylor will have difficult games against smart, veteran quarterbacks. Malign Vinny's saggy breasts and graying hair as much as you want, but he has over a decade of experience and won't make many mental mistakes. That plays against Sean Taylor, who at this point is still a rookie adjusting to the pro game and learning his first defensive scheme. Taylor will have his breakout game against a young quarterback or a mistake-prone quarterback. If Taylor is exposed, it'll be by a guy who plays smart football.

Nevertheless: Jeff Garcia and Kyle Boller, you guys are on notice.

Ok, I remember I had a dream of something important happening today, now I remember it was about the game. Sean Taylor had an int returned for a td, and Madden was like 'thats almost like the way he did it in preseason' (and was also having an orgasm over the counter trey as usual). Not sure if we won the game or not, but Sean Taylor had an awesome game.

Now I wish my dreams were completely prophetic.

I'm not sure what you guys are expecting from Taylor. Even the best safeties in this league don't get interceptions or "big time" plays every game.

If the opposing team really perceives Taylor as a threat (which I doubt), then they will simply be more conservative on plays where he would be a factor in coverage. At the college level, they don't gameplan around defensive players, but that is something they do at the NFL level -- when the game counts.

Originally posted by KenF

I'm not sure what you guys are expecting from Taylor. Even the best safeties in this league don't get interceptions or "big time" plays every game.

wasn't the post about whether or not taylor would have a break-out game against the cowgirls?

The point is there is no such thing as a "break out game" for a safety.

that's a pretty idiotic statement. wouldn't you feel stupid if taylor had something rediculous like 3 interceptions tonight? as for your first post, ed reed comes to mind as a safety who makes "big time" plays almost every game. he doesn't get an interception every game but having 14 in just his 3rd season is pretty damn good.

wouldn't you feel stupid if taylor had something rediculous like 3 interceptions tonight?

If he does, I hope there will be someone to rub it in.

The problem I have with this thread is that people seem to think the Skins can just stick Taylor into the lineup and INTs will just magically result. All a player can do is make the most of his opportunities. The safety doesn't have an opportunity for an INT every game, and when there are opportunities deep in the secondary (where Taylor plays), they usually occur because a) the opposing QB is inexperienced, or B) the opposing team is behind and trying to be overly aggressive with their passing game.

You mentioned Ed Reed, so let's take his example. All but two of his INTs came last year in blowouts, when the Ravens were winning by multiple touchdowns, and the opposing team forced balls into the secondary to try and make something happen.

Brian Russell, the league leader in INTs last year, had all but two of his INTs when his team (Minnesota) was up by an average of 2+ TDs, and a third of his INTs came against backup QBs or WRs throwing passes in trick plays.

I expect Taylor will make the most of his opportunities. But until our offense shows that it can put lots of points on the board, I just don't see Taylor getting many chances to make big plays in the secondary.

If he does, I hope there will be someone to rub it in.

The problem I have with this thread is that people seem to think the Skins can just stick Taylor into the lineup and INTs will just magically result. All a player can do is make the most of his opportunities. The safety doesn't have an opportunity for an INT every game, and when there are opportunities deep in the secondary (where Taylor plays), they usually occur because a) the opposing QB is inexperienced, or B) the opposing team is behind and trying to be overly aggressive with their passing game.

You mentioned Ed Reed, so let's take his example. All but two of his INTs came last year in blowouts, when the Ravens were winning by multiple touchdowns, and the opposing team forced balls into the secondary to try and make something happen.

Brian Russell, the league leader in INTs last year, had all but two of his INTs when his team (Minnesota) was up by an average of 2+ TDs, and a third of his INTs came against backup QBs or WRs throwing passes in trick plays.

I expect Taylor will make the most of his opportunities. But until our offense shows that it can put lots of points on the board, I just don't see Taylor getting many chances to make big plays in the secondary.

So you are saying if a team has no running game:D and will go down the field a lot :D Taylor has a good chance:D BTW Vinny makes bad moves even if there is no blow out. Look at the Cleveland game:D

Originally posted by McMetal

And as a fan, those plays get me excited and make the game fun to watch. That agonizing display last week was NOT fun to watch in any way.

McMetal - you had me agreeing with you when you were talking about Taylor's ability to create turnovers. However, when you start talking about playing players because they're "fun to watch," then you lose me.

I personally have fun watching the Redskins WIN, and I have to assume the coaches will play the players who give the team the best chance to accomplish this goal.

On a related note, I remember when Spurrier was hired, Snyder (and Spurrier) got up during the press conference and started talking about how they were going to "give the fans an exciting brand of football." (<--paraphrasing).... Their statements made me wince, because it made me think that they were concerned about entertaining fans as much or more as actually winning.

We are going to need HUGE play from both safety positions tonight, because I think our CBs will have We desperatly need Bowen to get to Testeverde and yes- we need Sean Taylor to creat HAVOC back there.

Even if he doesn't start, which I really don't mind, he needs to make Keyshawn think twice about catching ANYTHING. (I really see Vinny-to-Keyshawn as the biggest threat tonight.)

Clubis...

Yeah, I can understand your wincing. I never meant to imply that it is more important to entertain than to win. Winning trumps all. My point was just that I would rather take the ups and downs than the maddening conservatism of a close game.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that forced to choose, I would rather lose games like Green Bay did yesterday as opposed to say, the Cardinals. (Or us, last week)

I know there are so many more factors that play into this: implementing a system, safeguarding the team's psyche, playing to your strengths, etc. Gibbs is clearly taking it slow, playing close to the vest, bringing the guys along carefully. I get that.

But first and foremost I am a Fanboy, and I want to see us make plays AND win. I understand this will take time. But I think a key part of the process will be getting guys like Taylor into the game so they can learn and grow.

All good points guys.

I want to point out something, a theory that I have. And though it is w/o any solid info to back it...

Sean Taylor took Shockey out of the game last week. I think he was the one coverging him for most of the game, and completely shut him down.

Can anyone confirm this?

If that's the case, he will most likely do the same w/ Witten tonight, and take him out of the equation.

So, even if we don't hear Taylor's # called, it might be a positive thing.

freak,

Don't know about Shockey, but Taylor didn't play much until the second half.

I don't think it was really a matter of "shutting Shockey down." The new coach of the Giants isn't using Shockey like a WR anymore. He's being used to block, almost like a HBack. He doesn't have more than ~40 yards in any game, and he had only two catches against the poor Eagles secondary.

freak,

Don't know about Shockey, but Taylor didn't play much until the second half.

I don't think it was really a matter of "shutting Shockey down." The new coach of the Giants isn't using Shockey like a WR anymore. He's being used to block, almost like a HBack. He doesn't have more than ~40 yards in any game, and he had only two catches against the poor Eagles secondary.

OK. Well, carry on then. :)

Archived