Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spurrier Turnovers (that gibbs likes too!)

Ignatius J.

this is not a joke thread and is not sarcastic.

Spurrier had an interesting way of playing offense. When you get near the endzone, if you're given a 50-50 shot of scoring a TD and a 50-50 shot of being intercepted, you throw the ball.

2 field goals later, you'd wish you'd had seven points.

I think gibbs agrees with this logic.

Why on earth was gibbs throwing the ball after ramsey clearly demonstrated that he might turn the ball over at any moment?

because it was the right play at the time.

I feel like many people don't realize that brunell's one fumble last week was far more inexcusable than any of ramsey's mistakes today. Ramsey's throws pinned the opposing team deep. Brunell gave them 7 points. That's important.

With a stifling D, and ramsey's arm, it made sense to take the shots (except for that one pass where he didn't set and simply tossed)

With a home run threat like portis, why didn't gibbs rely on him?

I think that ramsey played a better game than some on this board give him credit for. I am really biased though, so I expect several people to call me out on my rose glasses. still, I can't help but feel that gibbs agrees with me. Spurrier may have done some things poorly, but this is one area where gibbs and spurrier agree. IF you've got a guy who can get the ball downfield, chuck it deep. If it gets picked off, get em next time.

In the future I hope ramsey does better with the next time.

I think Ramsey played fine to be honest. He through alot of balls that certianly should have been caught, and one for a touchdown to 50/50 Rod.

It is never easy for a young guy to come into a game half way through and is expected to spread the field. I think Pat will be just fine and I hope he sees more time throughout the year.

Are we forgetting that Ramsey did score a WOULD-BE TD with his arm, and that Gibbs called the right play, but Mr. 50/50 dropped a pass that was right into his hands. That has NOTHING to do with playcalling. That wasn't Ramsey's fault. On the same drive a Portis TD was negated by a penalty. So Gibbs seems to be calling the plays just fine.

Originally posted by Ignatius J.

this is not a joke thread and is not sarcastic.

Spurrier had an interesting way of playing offense. When you get near the endzone, if you're given a 50-50 shot of scoring a TD and a 50-50 shot of being intercepted, you throw the ball.

2 field goals later, you'd wish you'd had seven points.

I think gibbs agrees with this logic.

Why on earth was gibbs throwing the ball after ramsey clearly demonstrated that he might turn the ball over at any moment?

because it was the right play at the time.

I feel like many people don't realize that brunell's one fumble last week was far more inexcusable than any of ramsey's mistakes today. Ramsey's throws pinned the opposing team deep. Brunell gave them 7 points. That's important.

With a stifling D, and ramsey's arm, it made sense to take the shots (except for that one pass where he didn't set and simply tossed)

With a home run threat like portis, why didn't gibbs rely on him?

I think that ramsey played a better game than some on this board give him credit for. I am really biased though, so I expect several people to call me out on my rose glasses. still, I can't help but feel that gibbs agrees with me. Spurrier may have done some things poorly, but this is one area where gibbs and spurrier agree. IF you've got a guy who can get the ball downfield, chuck it deep. If it gets picked off, get em next time.

In the future I hope ramsey does better with the next time.

I don't necessarily agree. I think Gibbs would rather settle for a field goal than take an unnecessary chance on an INT. When throwing into the endzone I think Gibbs thinks the odds are less than 50/50 that it will be an INT. He's thinking 33/33/33 TD/incomplete/INT. So there a 66% chance we'll score either a TD or a field goal. If you remember, last week he passed up going for it on 4th down and short to kick the field goal. I would have assessed the odds at better than 50/50 that the 'skins would have made the first down, but he took the field goal.

For long passes where it isn't to the endzone Gibbs knows you have to take your shots (to at least stretch the defense and open up the running game, but hopefully get the completion), but again the odds are 33/33/33 completion/INT/incompletion. But you are right, in those instances where there is an INT, it is like a punt. Gibbs picks his shots however. What Gibbs doesn't want is throwing deep randomly (e.g., into double coverage) where the odds of a completion are even lower.

Any of the INTs should be calculated risks, not "smart" turnovers, because that is an oxymoron.

My :2cents:

That one pass?? How 'bout that other pass when he forced the ball into the endzone, thinking he could magically get it between two defenders who were blanketing the WR. Whatever, dude. Let's stop defending EITHER of our QBs. They've been letting us down since minicamp. I just want to know when the offense is going to wake the f_ck up!

Originally posted by Potato Sack

How 'bout that other pass when he forced the ball into the endzone, thinking he could magically get it between two defenders who were blanketing the WR.

Actually, I think that was a bad pass as opposed to a bad decision. I think if he had gotten the ball to the outside right corner it probably could have been a touchdown. But he didn't and that "one pass" really is unforgivable. He should have really, really known better.

Originally posted by terpskins

Actually, I think that was a bad pass as opposed to a bad decision. I think if he had gotten the ball to the outside right corner it probably could have been a touchdown. But he didn't and that "one pass" really is unforgivable. He should have really, really known better.

The pass was a bad throw and a bad decision - see the WP article today. Rod Gardner was wide open in the middle of the end zone but Ramsey never looked his way - instead he tried to force the pass to Coles.

Ramsey's other two throws were absolutely terrible. Field goals on 2 of those drives would have tied the game - on all of those drives would have won the game.

PR needs to get his head screwed on tight. What I don't get is why he didn't learn enough after the first pick to be more careful....... or after the second pick!

Damn.. feels like it did last season after a Spurrier coached loss.

Archived