Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Taylor or Lott

xe101

this is a spin on the thread

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=879736#post879736

"Question was asked WTF, Taylor not starting again????"

What is the true reason Taylor is not starting???

1. Practice - what's happing at practice?

2. Is Lott better in game situations?

3. Is the Lott/Bowen combo better then Taylor/Bowen?

4. Taylor's a rookie and needs more time?

If you can answer these questions you will know why Lott is starting and Taylor is getting into the games... nothing wrong with coming off the bench as a rookie in the NFL...

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=3026

From the Sidelines With Gregg Williams

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

August 17, 2004

Q: How is Sean Taylor progressing?

A: "He is doing well. No one has any questions of his physical gifts. He has to get into the flow of the pro terminology and he needs to be a little more vocal with his calls. I think even the novices see that he is pretty physically gifted.

Q: What does Taylor need to improve on?

A: "I would like for him to respect the speed in this league. It has been good the last couple of practices, he has gotten caught and beaten deep. That is what a young guy has to learn. He played at the college level where I do not know anyone who could outrun him except on his own team at the University of Miami. He has come in here and has held his own or ahead of everybody else on the speed factor of the game. I need to make sure that he is respecting the speed in the NFL so he doesn't give up points in a real game. As he gets more vocal, he'll be more comfortable in the terminology of the defense. He's close, but he's not there yet."

Originally posted by LaVarArringtons****

Just like that idiot said over in the other thread. Taylor is more physically talented while Lott has more potential. :laugh: :doh: Yeah keep thinking that in your own world. I disagree with Taylor not starting but i trust our coaching crew.

LA's *****... ha ha ha ha... would you want to see Taylor tosted by Schokey (he's been in practice @ UofM) casue he's not ready yet??? or would like to see that match up in December in Taylor's house??? This is a NO-BRAINER... a Rookie is a Rookie and he will work his way into the starting line up... Remember that UofM did not play this D and Taylor has to work everything out before he's starting...

You guys talk like you never played ball in H.S. My younger brother stated over me a QB my senior yr... I took the hand signals from the coaching staff called the play and my brother set the snap count and did all the other crap that you do before a snap... you have to remember if you can do the physical, you have to do the mental as well!

Originally posted by xe101

LA's *****... ha ha ha ha... would you want to see Taylor tosted by Schokey (he's been in practice @ UofM) casue he's not ready yet??? or would like to see that match up in December in Taylor's house??? This is a NO-BRAINER... a Rookie is a Rookie and he will work his way into the starting line up... Remember that UofM did not play this D and Taylor has to work everything out before he's starting...

You guys talk like you never played ball in H.S. My younger brother stated over me a QB my senior yr... I took the hand signals from the coaching staff called the play and my brother set the snap count and did all the other crap that you do before a snap... you have to remember if you can do the physical, you have to do the mental as well!

And what if Shockey toasts Andre Lott? Should we keep Lott in? Or change it up and see if ST shuts Shockey down. I know the coaching crew will put in the best line up against Shockey but Lott willl have tons of trouble with shockey if he is covering him man to man.

I'll take whichever one helps our defense most and I believe that is Lott. We can't afford to give up big plays and I think there's a better chance of Taylor making a costly mistake than Lott.

Obviously Taylor is more physically gifted and probably talented than Lott. He's going to be better than Lott, and I refuse to believe otherwise. As of right now though, I think it's in the best interest of this team that we start Lott.

You also have to remember that Taylor is still seeing plenty of time on the field, just because he's not starting does not mean he's not seeing significant playing time.

This is a team that has to win now, that's how this team is set up. We don't have the luxury to throw Ramsey out there and get him more experience, just as we can't do that with Taylor on defense. We'll use them when they give us the best chance to win, and I agree with that philosophy especially given our current situation as a win-now team.

I think we should start whoever the coaching staff says should start. Williams has said: he wants Taylor to respect the speed of this league and who did Galloway almost torch last weekend?...you got it!. Did anyone catch that article about Taylor right before the season? There was a quote that stuck out (in my mind) where Talor was saying he was not doing a lot of film study? That got my attention. I think this plays into this issue and is the coaching staffs way of saying: 'Young man, you need to prepare better and respect the other pro's in this league other wise you'll get beat, and we won't tolerate that'....just as Galloway beat him on Sunday.

I'd leave it up to Gibbs. Look what he was able to do with Darrell Green. Perhaps he's doing that with Taylor. I'm not saying Taylor is the next Green, but he can be molded just as effectively. Maybe we should do with Taylor, what we did with Green during his rookie year lol.

Taylor will end up starting but all the DBs will see action based on the down and distance as Williams indicated.

The coaching staff has a plan for Sean and I think we are seeing the slow approach being used to rewarding him too quickly.

Gibbs and Co. want to make sure Sean shows the requisite study and practice habits BEFORE he starts to play more regularly.

The risk of just throwing him out there is what happened to LaVar, in that he depends on his raw ability and takes longer to refine his game and learn how to play within the system.

I do believe Mr. Greg Williams said it best:

Q: Is Sean Taylor on track to start at some point this season?

A: "Just because I put a guy out there at the start of a ballgame does not mean he's a starter. All spring and during training camp, everyone was trying to anoint the starters and I told you it doesn't work that way. It won't work that way all the way through the playoffs. There are 11 guys out there on that play. When you break it down, I'd love for one of our defensive lineman have 33 plays and another have 32 out of 65 plays. You'd like to have the same thing with your linebacker corps when you have the right kind of people. The premise is, each snap is precious. If you take a false step, a lazy step or a tired step, why if you have fresh people standing nearby? We're trying to play as many people as possible."

Can we close the poll now?

Originally posted by RunPortisRun

Of course I voted for Taylor. When Taylor is in the game things just happen. See the fumble he caused last game? He should be on the field. And no, I'm not a coach.

Edit: Oh yeah, I decided to stay if you guys are willing to put up with me some more.

Nobody has thrown you out, so it looks like you stay. Course that depends on you.

hey, excuse us you ****ing elitists..."Oh god, theyre not talking about Sean Taylor again are they? Jesus" well, its not "again" for some of us, its the first time for the topic. So can it and just don't post, nobody cares that you've already read about it.

On another note...is it true that Lott is Ronnie Lott's nephew? My friend was telling me that, and i didn't fully believe him ,because i'd think i'd have heard that by now, or somebody would have mentioned the fact that Sean Taylor is being compared to Ronnie Lott and also competing for a spot with Ronnie Lott's nephew. Just wondering.

Archived