Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone listen to jazz?

Luca Brasi

My latest favorite: Stan Getz Plays Jobim (the Girl from Ipanema). Gets ( :doh: ) you in a cool mood.

Ella Fitzgerald/Count Basie - On the Sunny Side of the Street

-has been cheering me up for years. Plus, ANY combination of Ella and Louis...

Here are a few names from my Smooth Jazz collection.

Ken Navarro

Kim Waters

Luther Vandross

Babyface

Richard Elliot

3rd Force

Four 80 East

Special EFX

Fatburger

Lee Ritenaur

Kevin Toney

Brenda Russell

Keiko Matsui

Paul Taylor

Jeff Golub

I listen to a lot of miles and coletrane.

As far as modern though, I like michael brecker. There's a drummer out here in LA that I love named brian blade, but I didn't care too much for his album. When he plays in quartets and whatnot though he is amazing. Unfortuantely, I have not seen any records yet with him on it that I liked.

Luca,

Have you ever gone down t0 HR-57? It's on 14th between P and Q, NW. Great Jazz there... It's half jazz club and half jazz preservation np. Wynton drops by and plays there unannounced... you listen to some great names and some great nobodies. Found them while working with WAMU... Tony's a cool guy too.

Originally posted by Ignatius J.

I listen to a lot of miles and coletrane.

As far as modern though, I like michael brecker. There's a drummer out here in LA that I love named brian blade, but I didn't care too much for his album. When he plays in quartets and whatnot though he is amazing. Unfortuantely, I have not seen any records yet with him on it that I liked.

Brian Blade is awesome. I saw him a few years back playing with Joshua Redman and Christian McBride. He was incredilby solid and really had some great things to say as well.

Originally posted by Burgold

Luca,

Have you ever gone down t0 HR-57? It's on 14th between P and Q, NW. Great Jazz there... It's half jazz club and half jazz preservation np. Wynton drops by and plays there unannounced... you listen to some great names and some great nobodies. Found them while working with WAMU... Tony's a cool guy too.

No, actually I haven't, but I will now. I have heard of it but didn't realize the caliber of players they must be getting.

Check my sig out. That sig got me an autographed poster all the way from the UK after I sent a link from here to their website and showed it to their producer, Stuart Wade, who answers all the e-mails

I have seen them in concert last year in Richmond, Virginia and have all 5 of the CDs below. They play a mix of jazz, soul, and funk, but have a hard time getting airplay on some of the smooth jazz stations in the US because of that

I also have all 3 CDs by Four80East who tex mentions above. I also recommend Marion Meadows, The Crusaders, Incognito, Ronny Jordan, and Euge Groove

Originally posted by Luca Brasi

I'm into Dave Douglas right now. He's a trumpet player that I unfortunately haven't been able to catch live. His stuff can be really abstract at times.

Hell yeah!! Dave Douglas is amazing. I forget what album it is but he has theis one tune "Girl with the rose hips" that might be the most emotional piece of music I've ever heard.

Originally posted by codeorama

Mahavishnu Orchestra

Al DiMeola

I see there code. That was a kind of quick little assimilation there. I see they have made quite an impression on you in what 3 months?

Glad to see you paying it forward.

To further code's point. If you like progressive music at all, go buy every mahavishnu orchestra album you can find. You won't regret it. Just ask code.

Originally posted by Ignatius J.

I see there code. That was a kind of quick little assimilation there. I see they have made quite an impression on you in what 3 months?

Glad to see you paying it forward.

To further code's point. If you like progressive music at all, go buy every mahavishnu orchestra album you can find. You won't regret it. Just ask code.

No doubt man, I owe you a big thanks.

the first 2 albums plus the Trident session album and I love them. They are very inspiring for a musician.:cheers:

I've always tried to get into jazz, if not for anything else to make me look really hip and "with it", but it's never been my scene. "Kind of Blue" is supposed to be one of the greatest jazz records ever made, but it's always bored the hell out of me.

The only jazz record I've ever really enjoyed is "A Love Supreme" by John Coltrane, which I acknowledge as a great work of art. "Black Saint and the Sinner Lady" by Charles Mingus is one of my favorites as well.

Never gotten into the modern stuff, always seemed a little too elevator-ish for my taste.

Archived