Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Lavernues Coles reverse

freakofthesouth

Thinking back to last week's game, the first play to Gardner was a fantastically executed reverse to Rod Gardner. He had TONS of room to break it open, yet loafed a bit, IMO. However- this is not a bash Gardner thread...

I simply want to point out how much bigger that reverse would have been if LC got the call.

A few plays after the reverse, Coles catches a short hook, and uses his speed to pick up 15 more, burning the secondary of Atlanta.

If Coles had that reverse, w/ the room that play had, it would have been a much more significant gain. Much more.

Just a little reminder that we have some serious talent at all crucial positions of the offense, and that an LC reverse, if executed properly, will produce some huge gains for us in the future.

One thing that I noticed on that play was the great block thrown by the WR on that reverse. I am not positive if it was Coles, but I am pretty sure that it was. If it was Coles running that reverse it is highly questionable that Gardner would have executed that block so well.

Just my .02$

Originally posted by ADF

Gardener did not loaf on the reverse.

Disagree. He slowed down for a Falcon when he was clearly blocked. At first, he looked good; but he slowed unnecessarily, and that, IMO, is loafing.

BUt...like I said...this is not a bash Gardner thread. I'm simply saying that LC can run faster, and thus, produce a more succesful reverse.

I disagree. I just watched the play again. Falcon defenders took angels that forced Gardener into the guy Coles was blocking. Gardner only slowed up when he tried to change directions to avoid the guy Coles was blocking. The CB got past Coles just before Gardner got there. Coles did a great job of blocking the CB so Gardner could get the yards he did. The falcon CB did a good job of disengaging at the right moment to make the tackle.

The only thing Gardner is guilty of on that play is not having great speed, but not loafing and that was the only point I was trying to make.

One thing I used to find odd was that it seemed like whenever Gibbs ran a reverse in the past, it always went to Art Monk - never known as the quickest or fastest receiver around. I always wondered why that was.

The reason they ran the reverse the other night was because the counter had been being chased down from behind in previous games. Gibbs wanted to give that end something else to think about before he went all out after the RB.

During Norv's tenure, he used to run the reverse more like a sweep. His RB's (Allen, Davis) weren't fast enough to get around the corner so he had the receivers do it to spread the field a little. Not likely to need that with Portis running.

Archived