Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Church or Football

xe101

As a former Christian who is now an agnostic, and who finally got around to doing years of research on my own, I think Mark Twain sums up my sentiment about ALL organized religions. So you know where I will be on Sundays. In front of the TV. :rolleyes:

"During many ages there were witches. The Bible said so. The Bible commanded that they should not be allowed to live. Therefore the Church, after doing its duty in but a lazy and indolent way for 800 years, gathered up its halters, thumbscrews, and firebrands, and set about its holy work in earnest.

She worked hard at it night and day during nine centuries and imprisoned, tortured, hanged, and burned whole hordes and armies of witches, and washed the Christian world clean with their foul blood.

Then it was discovered that there was no such thing as witches, and never had been. One doesn't know whether to laugh or to cry. Who discovered that there was no such thing as a witch -- the priest, the parson? No, these never discover anything." -- Mark Twain [1835-1910], American novelist

I don't see the point of this poll.

You just use your Tivo. You may start watching the game 1-hour late after church, but with the Tivo, you can easily skip all the commercials. By the time there are 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter, you've caught up to live. You know the result at the same time as everyone else.

A Tivo isn't like a VCR where you have to wait until the recording is done to start watching. You can watch the Redskins game from the beginning while it is still recording, and skip all the commercials until you catch up to live.

Four years ago, Tivos were $400 so they were only for hardcore fans. Now they are only $49-$99 after rebate though, so there's no excuse not to have one. The only reason not to get one..is if you want to use the Redskins game as an excuse to miss church...

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

"During many ages there were witches. The Bible said so. The Bible commanded that they should not be allowed to live. Therefore the Church, after doing its duty in but a lazy and indolent way for 800 years, gathered up its halters, thumbscrews, and firebrands, and set about its holy work in earnest.

She worked hard at it night and day during nine centuries and imprisoned, tortured, hanged, and burned whole hordes and armies of witches, and washed the Christian world clean with their foul blood.

Then it was discovered that there was no such thing as witches, and never had been. One doesn't know whether to laugh or to cry. Who discovered that there was no such thing as a witch -- the priest, the parson? No, these never discover anything." -- Mark Twain [1835-1910], American novelist

God is perfect, God is good... People - not so much.

Although this isnt a thread about religon so much as it is about scheduling, I do still feel compelled to respond.

PEOPLE are in charge of organized religon - therefore by their nature they are not perfect. Many terrible things have happened in defense of religon, in the quest to spread religon, or have been "inspired" by religon. To this end, I agree with you 100%.

But, being a Christian isn't about religon. Its about believing in God - believing that he is the Creator of all things, and that he sent Jesus as the ultimate sacrifice to take the wrath for our sins and allow imperfect, unworthy people into heaven.

That's it. Church is a great tool that helps us to further our relationship with God. As a Christian, this is very likely something you'll want to do. Its much more than a social gathering - but by all means attendence is not the most key component to having a personal relationship with God.

In short, I don't see anything in your post that proves anything about God's existence. It simply provides evidence that people have used the Bible to try and justify senseless acts of rage towards their fellow man. This is something we already know - just watch the news.

Oh yeah, in addressing the reason the thread was started - I'd say just check around and find a church you like that has an early service. My church has an 8:30 and a 10:30 service. The latter means I would only get to watch 30 minutes of pregame shows, the former means I get close to 3 hours of pregame. For this reason I'll be waking up earlier for the next few months :)

living up here in the midwest, it's a bunch of miles to get to any other towns in the area. i am a lay minister for the lutheran church, and i preach 2-3 sundays at two different churches about an hour to an hour and a half away from my home. my last service will get done about 11:50am, and i have to drive like heck to get home for the noon kickoff. i won't make it obviously, but, i should be home by halftime each sunday that i preach. the washington redskins are one of the most important things in my life, and have been since i was a little kid, but church is more important. football won't help me get into heaven my friends......

Originally posted by xe101

I know most of you go through this every year... It's football season and some of us men attend Church... what do you do when football season is in effect?

Interesting post... What would Joe Gibbs do if he were a die-hard fan? That would be my answer.

(Note: Any of you who have read either of his books, "Fourth and One," or "Racing to Win," would know what decision Joe Gibbs would make.)

Originally posted by lolhahaha

Why would you go to church for Gibbs first game back in 12 years?

Because that same Gibbs would tell you to go to church and put God first before a bunch of guys who throw a pigskins up and down a field while hitting each other?? Sounds good to me.

Originally posted by skinsfan51

Interesting post... What would Joe Gibbs do if he were a die-hard fan? That would be my answer.

(Note: Any of you who have read either of his books, "Fourth and One," or "Racing to Win," would know what decision Joe Gibbs would make.)

Wow -- that almost harks of a marketing idea for Extremeskins merchandise. How's this for a new line:

WWJGD -- What Would Joe Gibbs Do?

Eh? Catchy.... :logo:

Anyways, I for one will be going to church, the early service, so it's really not an issue. But if it was, I'd still go to church, and Tivo Sunday Ticket.

Going to church has always been part of my pre-game ritual. I think that's why I love 1:00 games, reminds me of when I was a kid and would stomp around the lobby after church as my mother would start jawing with another fellow parishoner. Had myself convinced that if I missed kickoff, we'd loose. After I got my driver's license, I started driving myself.

Archived