Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Balt. Sun: Obstructed View Seats

Om

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.fans04sep04,1,5116796,print.story?coll=bal-sports-football

Redskins fans left feeling blocked out in new seats

Pillars obstruct view for some in lower level

By Jeff Barker

Sun Staff

September 4, 2004

LANDOVER - The concrete pillar in Section 223 was wider than an offensive tackle.

And as far as Washington Redskins fan Dennis Frye was concerned, it was fulfilling the same basic function as a lineman last night.

It was blocking.

Frye, of Burke, Va., was among a group of fans who accepted an offer from the team during the offseason to move their seats from the upper bowl of FedEx Field to 4,000 newly created seats in the back of the lower bowl.

Frye said he was told by the team "that there might be an obstruction. But you never think it's going to be this bad. From one of my seats you can't see from the 15 [-yard line] to the end zone. At least upstairs you can see the whole thing."

Frye saw his three new seats for the first time during Washington's preseason game last night against the Atlanta Falcons.

The obstructed seats have become a hot topic among fans during the preseason on sports talk radio and on the Internet.

The team says it didn't deceive fans. Its says ticket holders were apprised of any obstructions before the seats were sold, and were asked to inspect the seats before purchasing them. Those that did not come were offered a computerized drawing of the seating area, the team said.

But some fans were left to wonder why, with today's technology, any stadium needs to include seats where the sight lines are partially blocked. In some old baseball stadiums, obstructed seats - like hand-operated scoreboards - possess a certain charm.

But at FedEx Field, which opened in 1997, "the idea of obstructed seating drives me nuts," said Redskins fan Mark Steven of Woodbridge, Va. "If I go to a movie and somebody with a big head sits in front of me, I'm not happy."

Steven, who attended last night's game, did not have an obstructed view and says "I wouldn't buy one of those."

The team strategically placed TV monitors around sections where some fans' views are partially screened.

The new seats raised the capacity at the stadium to 91,665, the largest in the league.

The Redskins say the new seats were originally planned when the team made a bid, which was rejected, to host a future Super Bowl. The idea was shelved until Hall of Fame coach Joe Gibbs decided to return during the offseason.

"When Gibbs announced plans to come back, fan interest spiked and we put it back on the shelf," said team spokesman Karl Swanson. "When you've got 105,000 accounts on a waiting list, you do what you can to accommodate them. In our mailings, we stressed limited-view seating."

Several fans in Section 223 said they weren't able to see their seats in person before purchasing them because the new sections weren't yet completed when the seats were offered in letters from the team.

Frye said he plans to complain about his seats Monday, and that he didn't mind having his name appear in a newspaper article because he already had obscured views, "so what are they going to do to me?"

Swanson said the team would accommodate fans as best it can.

Not all fans in Frye's section were complaining.

Wil Rice of Frederick said he accepted one of the seats so he could be downstairs. He had previously sat on the aisle in the upper deck and said his view was often blocked by fans walking up and back from the concourse.

From Rice's new seat, a section of one of the end zones was blocked. "It's still better than Section 423 on the aisle," he said.

Copyright © 2004, The Baltimore Sun

;)

Originally posted by Dan T.

What's the deal - I thought the whole story of fans being upset about their seats was fabricated by the Washington Post? ;)

Not really, The Skins were upset with the Post for exposing the story. They had their rebuttal, but some of the posters who were affected took the Post's side. I don't think we have seen the end of this.

Originally posted by afparent

Not really, The Skins were upset with the Post for exposing the story. They had their rebuttal, but some of the posters who were affected took the Post's side. I don't think we have seen the end of this.

AF, wink, wink, wink.

Originally posted by afparent

Ok, I'm lost...where are you guys going with this....I am totally confused. First I see some picture of some young ladies and some places/words I never heard of...must be an inside joke...:D

fill us in!

Mark Steven, quoted in this article, is our very own Om--beloved of ladies, gentlemen, and children alike. He used to display his "location" as "Terra Infirma," being the witty and learned soul he is.

Originally posted by Ancalagon the Black

Mark Steven, quoted in this article, is our very own Om--beloved of ladies, gentlemen, and children alike. He used to display his "location" as "Terra Infirma," being the witty and learned soul he is.

I should have put 2 and 2 together..thanks:D

After reading this we DEFINITELY WON'T be able to live with him!

;)

Blondie

That was me the article quoted at the end. My seats were close to Frye's. The reporter saw me (on the other side of the column) and came over to talk. He asked me if I was happy about my seats and how much did the Redskins agent tell me about them. I told him the agent was very accurate in telling me the amount of obstruction I would have (small corner of the end zone to my right). Actually I can see the whole field just leaning forward with my elbows on my knees. I feel sorry for the ones that got bad seats but I could not give a negative review to the reporter. I am surprised he printed my positive experience, but he did.

So that's where Terra Infirma is.

Ancal, thanks. Had that TI there for like 3 years, and I don't think anyone ever asked about it. Glad to see now that I removed it, it's been remembered. ;)

Mr. Barker is the new Skins beat reporter for the Sun (happens to have grown up in the MD suburbs of DC as a Skins fan). He'd seen a post here that I made about this issue, and asked if I'd be interested in talking to him about it---specifically, I think about the question of why the team (or ANY sports franchise) would even build obstructed view seats in this day and age.

He was very cordial and interested the whole issure, and seemed intent on presenting as balanced a piece, given the information available, as he could. The quotes, btw, are accurate ... although he didn't use the one thing I think best encapsulated my particular thinking, and that is:

I personally would neither build NOR buy obstructed view seats ... BUT, as long as the buyer is fully aware of the situation, I understand that business is business and that's just the way of the world. The only real problem I still see unresolved at this point is if the team did in fact show some people one set of seats beforehand when they came to the stadium to decide, then assigned them something else, which the purchaser only discovered when they showed up for the first game.

To my knowledge, that remains an unanswered question, and the one issue in all of this that really ought to be the focus from here on out.

Archived