Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP:Pierce Gets Another New Opportunity with Redskins

scskinsfan

http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=293&sid=257956

Pierce Gets Another New Opportunity with Redskins

Updated: Tuesday, Aug. 31, 2004 - 5:59 PM

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) - Linebacker Antonio Pierce has made the most of another opportunity and has now turned into a luxury for the Washington Redskins.

The undrafted free agent signed in 2001 has impressed yet another Redskins coaching staff with his intelligence, work ethic and versatility to take one step closer to becoming a full-time starter in the NFL.

Pierce's climb up the depth chart was cemented on Sunday when the team released 10-year veteran Kevin Mitchell, who had started the preseason at middle linebacker in place of starter Mike Barrow.

However, Pierce's speed and ability to play all three linebacker positions has, for now, turned him into the preseason starter - even though he'd never started a game at middle linebacker.

"It's a great opportunity, especially playing a new position," Pierce said. "The last time I got an opportunity like this was probably my rookie year. I'm going to take advantage of it. If Mike's ready to go, then I'll have to go to my next spot, wherever that is."

During his rookie season, Pierce made eight starts, but mostly because of injuries to others. In his first career start, Pierce had seven tackles in place of LaVar Arrington against Kansas City. He then recovered a fumble the following week against the Giants in place of outside linebacker Shawn Barber.

It was those experiences that reinforced Pierce's commitment to learning all three linebacker positions and impressing another coaching staff as he was originally signed by Marty Schottenheimer, only to see playing time diminish in his first of two seasons under Steve Spurrier.

Last season, Mitchell was primarily used on special teams, but appeared in all 16 games and made nine tackles.

"When it comes to defense, the thing that helped me out the most is being able to adapt to all three linebacker positions," Pierce said. "I knew that coming out."

Assistant head coach for defense Gregg Williams said he didn't know much about Pierce's past, but that there are always places for versatile players like Pierce in his defense that has so many looks.

"He's so versatile in the packages because he can play so much. He plays it with hardly any burden to him mentally at all. You can throw him out there in any situation and he knows what he do," Williams said.

"He's a pro. He's not one of those guys looking for attention that'll come up and chitchat with you. He is preparing every single second of the day."

The biggest thing Pierce can be preparing for now is whether Barrow will be ready to start on opening day at middle linebacker. The 34-year-old veteran has been bothered all camp by tendinitis in his knee, missing numerous practices and has yet to appear in any of Washington's four preseason games.

Coach Joe Gibbs has maintained throughout camp that Barrow would return to the field when he feels he is ready, and Williams said Tuesday that Barrow was close to being ready.

Pierce said he's not sure when Barrow will return, but that he's ready to learn something different no matter what happens.

"Mike's thing is kind of weird. One day it looks like he's ready to go, the next day he's got ice back on his leg. I've got to prepare myself ready to go either way," Pierce said. "We paid him to be the starter. I got the coaches that believe in me in some way, I just need to the let the rest of the NFL know that as well."

OTHER REDSKINS NOTES:

The Redskins also held their annual Welcome Home luncheon Tuesday, the first for Gibbs since he left the team after the 1992 season. The highlight of the day came when former Washington cornerback Darrell Green presented Fred Smoot with last season's defensive most valuable player award. Green, who played with Smoot at the end of the career, said he had hoped Smoot would idolize him. But after seeing Smoot's tackle total (58) from last season Green said "I guess he's a Deion Sanders fan."

Washington made its final cut in the current series of roster changes on Tuesday, releasing cornerback Ralph Brown. The team released Brown to get down to the league limit of 65, plus eleven players who are exempt because they played in NFL Europe. The next roster deadline is September fifth, when squads must be cut down to 53 players.

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler

Gotta give Marty credit for a pretty good rookie class in 2001.

He drafted Gardner, Smoot, and McCants. The jury is still out on Rosenfels - another pick who's a project yet seems to play well every preseason.

Then Pierce, Kenny Watson, and Ohalete as undrafted free agents? Not bad.

That was actaully Allen who did most of the picking. That was the last good draft the redskins had.

Originally posted by Dexter's Better

That was actaully Allen who did most of the picking. That was the last good draft the redskins had.

oh, please,

Marty had all the power then, it was part of the condition for him joining with snyder.

You got to give him the credit.

It was those experiences that reinforced Pierce's commitment to learning all three linebacker positions and impressing another coaching staff as he was originally signed by Marty Schottenheimer, only to see playing time diminish in his first of two seasons under Steve Spurrier.

I doubt that Spurrier knew his name. It was under Marv "the Savior" Lewis and George "The People's Coach" Edwards.

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler

Gotta give Marty credit for a pretty good rookie class in 2001.

He drafted Gardner, Smoot, and McCants. The jury is still out on Rosenfels - another pick who's a project yet seems to play well every preseason.

Then Pierce, Kenny Watson, and Ohalete as undrafted free agents? Not bad.

Don't forget Bryan Johnson. Darn good lead blocker, i'm not surprised both the Saints and Bears showed interest in him, with the Bears eventually winning out.

I have always liked Pierce. You can't help but root for him. Every one of his coaches has said he is one of the most intelligent players they have seen.

Sadly his job always seems insecure until the season starts but I guess that means we get to root for the same underdog every year :)

Archived