Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Betts in danger of not making team

spanishomelette

There is precident for Gibbs keeping Betts: Kelvin Bryant.

Bryant was another player who was an important contributor as a backup RB who also had the talent to be a 1,000 yard rusher. But he, too, had trouble staying healthy. Gibbs could have cut him any time, but chose not to until they had two solid, reliable running backs in Byner and Gerald Riggs.

Until the Skins acquire another RB who can legitimately start, I think Betts makes the team, or at worst, gets put on the PUP list to start the season.

I'd like to see Betts get healthy because I think he's considerably more talented than the other backups we now have. These guys are scrappy and hard workers like Keith Griffin and Jamie Morris were for the Skins back in the '80s. But Gibbs knew they weren't good enough to be regular starters.

Originally posted by bird_1972

Damn, I really thought Betts would be an ideal power runner for Gibbs. Too bad we can't just hold out a little longer before pulling the trigger on cutting him. I really think a healthy Betts is head and shoulders above all of the other backups.

What has Betts ever shown when healthy to make someone think he's better then Sutan and Rock?

Betts is slow and when I saw him, couldn't break tackles well.

Originally posted by Hooper

Byner's exact quote on Betts --

''He's as gifted as any player we have. If he gets his opportunity, he will shine.''

That is one hell of a vote of confidence, I sure hope he gets his chance and does shine.

Originally posted by GURU

There is precident for Gibbs keeping Betts: Kelvin Bryant.

Bryant was another player who was an important contributor as a backup RB who also had the talent to be a 1,000 yard rusher. But he, too, had trouble staying healthy. Gibbs could have cut him any time, but chose not to until they had two solid, reliable running backs in Byner and Gerald Riggs.

Until the Skins acquire another RB who can legitimately start, I think Betts makes the team, or at worst, gets put on the PUP list to start the season.

I'd like to see Betts get healthy because I think he's considerably more talented than the other backups we now have. These guys are scrappy and hard workers like Keith Griffin and Jamie Morris were for the Skins back in the '80s. But Gibbs knew they weren't good enough to be regular starters.

And I believe that Gibbs was quoted as saying that Betts would make a good third down back. But that was before the Portis trade I think.

All these RBs make the team through roster spots, PUP, IR and practice squad.

Ladell Betts is not Kelvin Bryant. Kelvin Bryant had production - 400 yds rushing and 400 yds receiving twice that we can only hope for with Betts. Also, Bryant had a reputation from his USFL exploits as a solid player. Kelvin Bryant's injuries were much more frustrating because he was clearly a solid contributor.

Betts has not distinguished himself yet. As a Skins fan, I hope he does.

President

Kelvin Bryant Fan Club

Saw something in Simon's style I liked during the game against the fish . He showed patience running along the oline while looking for a crack to bust through. Hope he makes the team.

Betts? Watson, an undrafted free agent bested him in 2002. Watson had 534 rushing yards, a 4.6-yard average, a touchdown, plus the third-most catches on the on the team with 32.

Betts is a straight ahead runner. To be effective he has to be durable. Thus far that has not been shown to be the case.

I'm afraid we're going to be making cuts too heavily weighted toward who's been healthy this preseason. Everyone on the coaching staff is always talking about "availability" like it's some kind of mantra they repeat in coaching meetings. I hope they take the nature of the injuries into account (whether they're likely to recur or instead are flukes, whether they suggest the player isn't sufficiently tough/can't play through pain/doesn't have the desire -- or instead if they simply can't play), and consider not just the past several weeks but the player's history of (and with) injuries.

I realize a) to some extent, particularly with less established players, this coaching staff needs to evaluate them in person, and based on this scheme, and can't rely entirely on film -- but that "assessment uncertainty" is a distinct issue from "availability" based on too small a sample size. I also realize B) Trust in Joe Gibbs (turns over "he knows many orders of magnitude more about football than I do, but we are entitled to have our opinions, this is a chat board" card).

What this boils down to is cut Cliff Russell (assuming you can't PS him) -- he's never shown anything other than speed, and he does seem to be injured all the time. But I will be surprised and disappointed if Betts or, even more so, Taylor Jacobs is cut, despite their injuries.

Archived