Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Couple of things I noticed watching the game.

Art

Originally posted by thinker

It was known for days that LaVar and Daniels would be out - the DE and LB on the left offensive side. I doubt Miami did extensive game planning - nobody really does in pre-season. More like they were trying to take advantage of two of our starters on that side being out and try to get a bit of a running game going.

Good point....as

Um, does everyone understand that running to the left or right has nothing to do with anything the defense is doing?

In fact, the majority of the runs were towards the strong side of the offense which in turn meant they were running towards Washington, not LaVar's spot.

Edit: I better clarify that statement.

The defense (ours) is set up to switch personnel based on the stregnth call of the offense. We want LaVar or the Will backer on the weak side and Marcus or the Strong on the strongside.

The ideal way to run is to the TE side or strongside of the formation. Does not happen all the time but there is a reason the Defense refers to the side with 3 down linemen as the strongside of the formation. They make calls based on run ablity.

Ron Warner must be undersized and hasn't the technique down to hang with the big boys but what he does have is a high motor....how some describe Grant Wistrom.....with the right teaching,scheming, and a year in the weight room, he could be a valuable asset in our rotation. You can't teach heart and desire and he seems to have that.

Sunday afternoon (I caught the replay on NFL Network) was a breath of much needed fresh air. That was Redskins football. We had two defensive starters not even make the trip and the D still looked very good. The O-Line effort was excellent. Opening holes and protecting the QB was something that I had not seen in a long time. Taylor is still the man. If he can make these plays on Sundays from Sept. til January we will be in great shape.

I watched the game a second last night and one player who kept grabbing my eye was Brian Kozlowski. That mans motor does not stop and he can block. He never gave up on the 5 or 6 plays I watched him.

Yes its pre season, but is it not nice to see our defense in the backfield all the time? Feely looked nervous out there and out of sync. I like the attacking style. Can you imagine if we still had George Edwards?

:doh:

One thing is for sure they got alot of practice run blocking Sat.

As far as pass protection did Brunell even get hurried. I heard one of the broadcasters say In the NFL you cannot give the quarterback that much time to throw. On some plays it seemed liked Brunell had all day, and the linemen by the 2qtr new it was going to be running play you could tell it. I like what I am seeing offensively and defensively preseason or not. The "we are a team" can be seen on the sidelines.

Originally posted by Utah

Um, does everyone understand that running to the left or right has nothing to do with anything the defense is doing?

In fact, the majority of the runs were towards the strong side of the offense which in turn meant they were running towards Washington, not LaVar's spot.

Edit: I better clarify that statement.

The defense (ours) is set up to switch personnel based on the stregnth call of the offense. We want LaVar or the Will backer on the weak side and Marcus or the Strong on the strongside.

The ideal way to run is to the TE side or strongside of the formation. Does not happen all the time but there is a reason the Defense refers to the side with 3 down linemen as the strongside of the formation. They make calls based on run ablity.

Utah, understood and all good points ... but they were running left against Marshall not Washington in the plays where I credited Marshall with good containment. That was the point of my original commment, that Marshall showed better patience in containment, and seemed to avoid getting locked up by a blocker and being driven from the play.

Now it's possible that a bunch of the other left-side runs were run strong-side against Washington. I didn't review all the plays. But the plays that jumped out at me involved Marshall, not Washington, in containment.

I've watched far too many plays (this season too) run against LaVar, where LaVar runs himself into the backfield, gets held by the blocker, and the runner runs through the gap where LaVar's containment should have been. This wasn't happening against the Dolphins, which caused me to notice the effect of quiet, good containment by the OLB. It's the sort of solid defensive play that doesn't result in individual tackle stats but does help to create a stout, soundly schemed and executed defense.

Originally posted by carlsbadd

What impressed me the most was seeing the lineman getting downfield, clearing the way for Portis on a couple sweeps.

Yeah, that was great, but Portis didn't always wait for them to make their blocks like he should have. On the sweep to the left that made big yards, at the end of the run he ran past 2 blockers and was tackled by the guys that they would have blocked if he had let the play develop. He outran his blockers even more in the first 2 games, so he is learning.

It seems like he is not used to waiting for his blockers to clear the way. Are the Denver linemen that much faster than ours, or is having linemen in front of him downfield something new for him?

Originally posted by MidPennSkin

Yeah, that was great, but Portis didn't always wait for them to make their blocks like he should have. On the sweep to the left that made big yards, at the end of the run he ran past 2 blockers and was tackled by the guys that they would have blocked if he had let the play develop. He outran his blockers even more in the first 2 games, so he is learning.

It seems like he is not used to waiting for his blockers to clear the way. Are the Denver linemen that much faster than ours, or is having linemen in front of him downfield something new for him?

This is a very good point. Had Portis sat in the pocket with his running linemen, he could have at least used them to run interference for an even bigger play. But, he just blew by them. Of course, remember, he did have some pursuit that almost got him from behind, so he can't go too slowly and be effective either. But, I think on that sweep he could have down shifted and wound up scoring a touchdown.

Art,

I watched that play many times on TIVO, and while it is true that portis could have slowed, he made the right decision.

Two backers fell down in pursuit of him as he blew past them. Had they not fallen they would have been right on his tail. In that position, the last thing you want is for your running back to look behind him, so I am glad that he chose to plow into a weak DB instead.

He gained five yards after contact with the DB, and might have broken the tackle, so I think he made the right choice there.

Archived