• left
    • second to left
    • second to right
    • right

Bills' McGahee wants trade if he's not starting

Aug. 20, 2004

SportsLine.com wire reports

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7597687

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Running back Willis McGahee has asked the Buffalo Bills to trade him if he is not their starter on opening day, a source told The Associated Press on Friday.

McGahee's request was not issued as an ultimatum, but the player made clear he won't be happy playing backup to incumbent Travis Henry, said the source, who is close to McGahee, and spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Bills spokesman Scott Berchtold said, "There is no truth to that whatsoever."

McGahee was not available for comment, as the Bills were off Friday in preparation for Saturday's preseason game against Tennessee. McGahee's agent Drew Rosenhaus declined comment.

After hosting Tennessee, the Bills close their preseason with two road games in preparation for their season-opener against Jacksonville on Sept. 12.

Questions about how the two running backs can work together have been raised since the Bills selected McGahee 23rd overall in the 2003 draft.

Henry is now coming off his second consecutive 1,000-yard season while McGahee missed his entire rookie season recovering from reconstructive surgery on his left knee.

The former Miami star was considered a top-three pick before he was hurt in his final college game, the Hurricanes' loss to Ohio State in the national championship, the 2003 Fiesta Bowl.

Rookie coach Mike Mularkey has said that both players can work together this season, but has maintained that Henry is his starter.

That's been evident through camp, where Henry has worked exclusively with the starting unit, while McGahee has worked mostly with the second string.

McGahee has looked good so far.

In his preseason debut, he had 13 carries for 58 yards, a 9-yard reception, and scored the go-ahead touchdown from the 1, in Buffalo's 16-6 win over Denver last Sunday. McGahee also shone, scoring four touchdowns from within 2 yards, during a controlled scrimmage against Cleveland earlier this month.

While Henry and McGahee refer to themselves friends, theirs has been an uneasy relationship.

Henry initially called the Bills decision to draft McGahee as a slap in the face.

He's since backed off that claim, saying the two can work together.

Henry, however, has previously said that he's not prepared to be a backup to McGahee. Henry has also said that he expects one of them to be traded after the end of this season.

Henry is signed through the 2005 season. McGahee has four years left on a contract that could potentially be worth $15.53 million if he meets all the incentives.

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

This sounds like BS to me - or a comment taken out of context. I saw McGahee on NFL Access a couple of nights ago. When asked about backing up Travis Henry, McGahee said he'd like to start but that Travis was a great back and he (McGahee) would except whatever role was aked of him. That's a far cry from what CBS is reporting.

Originally posted by docdru

Haha, he probably wont get picked up by anyone. That would be mean.

He's looked really good in camp and has pushed Travis Henry for the starting job. May be a good late round fantasy pickup for those of you that play.

That's a nice attitude to take towards a team that drafted you in the first round dispite the fact that you couldn't even walk at the time. Travis Henry is twice the back MaGahee is. There is no doubt who should start for the Bills.

Before the injury this guy was arguably better than Portis.

Just ask Sean Taylor about this kid. Bills took a huuge risk on him though. They could be in the hot seat if he doesnt pan out, seeing as though they used a 1st rounder on him. He looks decent so far, I hope he does well. That'd be big for the NFL for him to come back from that injury and do well.

Originally posted by jonjeff

That's a nice attitude to take towards a team that drafted you in the first round dispite the fact that you couldn't even walk at the time. Travis Henry is twice the back MaGahee is. There is no doubt who should start for the Bills.

I wouldnt go that far.:nono:

Originally posted by jonjeff

i beg to differ.. Travis is out after this year...Mcgahee is a stud...the Bills are just in a great situation...for this year anyway...they should come out of this with someone's #1 next year...

If the report is true, this kid has some giant, swinging balls to say that.

The Bills took a shot with him, gave him a lot of upfront money (knowing he wouldn't play last year), gave him the best doctors money can buy, and before he plays one snap in what is essentially his rookie year, he demands a trade if he isn't starting?

I hope that's a BS report...

I also think this is bull....

but if any 2nd year player, who is in essence a rookie makes such a demand, and i'm a GM, i laugh and say, get the fu*& out of my office kid.....

they lived without him for one year....and now they have a new coach that is in his honeymoon period....Willis has no power.

Isn't there a rumor that Travis Henry said he wanted to be traded if not starting???Anyway.......

McGahee should just sit back and watch for another year. His knee will be even better than it is now. Henry is trade bait for next season and I am sure the Bills FO knows what teams will be knocking their doors down to get him.

I understand that McGahee wants to play and he should play, but not start, unless Henry's perfomance is below average and the coaching staff wants to go in a different direction. You could say this year is Henry's "walk year".

Archived