Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis Bashers - May I have your attention please?

Morning Wood

Why don't we take a collective step back on this whole Portis thing for a moment and do a little reflectin on the whole situation. No, Clint didn't score a TD on his old team like we ALL would've loved to have seen. Nor did he break any 20-30 yard runs. Truth be told, he really didn't do much at all. BUT...

I mentioned this in an earlier thread, but I think it bears repeating in light of all the disgruntlement. Clinton Portis is our undisputed starting back. He knows this, Coach knows this, we know this, the whole team knows this. Hell, even Jimoh knows this, and after his performance last night, I'm not convinced he can even spell Ade. AND, if memory serves, Portis was coming of a slight groin tweak. Several folks in the media even speculated beforehand that he might be held out altogether.

Yes Quentin looked pretty sharp out there, but what back doesn't against our D? (I'm hoping that'll change shortly) Quentin on the other hand is not the undisputed starter. This is a man fighting for the chance to be the MAN. What I saw last night was two backs with COMPLETELY different motivation. I suspect that Clint's (and the team's) main goal was to step off the field with absolutely no injury setbacks. Unless you've been on another planet for the past two years, you know what he can (and will) do.

My point? Ease up, its preseason and his job is in concrete. ...Unless he sustains injury. Get me? I predict that two months from now we'll all be havin a grand laugh about all these Clinton concerns goin on right now.

Originally posted by Dan T.

Godd post, Morning Wood. BTW, how did the beers, baby, and the Barcolounger work out last night?

I'm glad you asked. Remember that INT Taylor had in the endzone? Well, much to my surprise, if Daddy jumps off the couch like he has been goosed with a 9 iron and bellows "Hell Yeah!!!!!' at the top of his lungs, this will in fact scare the pants off of an eleven month old and, send her into a very unhappy place.

Glad I learned this early on so we can practice this play before the next game.

Originally posted by Morning Wood

I'm glad you asked. Remember that INT Taylor had in the endzone? Well, much to my surprise, if Daddy jumps off the couch like he has been goosed with a 9 iron and bellows "Hell Yeah!!!!!' at the top of his lungs, this will in fact scare the pants off of an eleven month old and, send her into a very unhappy place.

Glad I learned this early on so we can practice this play before the next game.

:laugh: :doh:

I've been there, brother. My boys learned real early that daddy acts very strange when the Redskins are on TV.

I had previously posted "Was Denver right" thread... It was not my intention to bash Clinton at all... Hell I am a huge fan and hope he makes a ProBowl appearance on behalf of the skins. I was purely trying to feel out how other people on this board felt about that statement from Shanahan that it was his "system" that built Portis, not the other way around...

Please forgive me if this was misinterpreted...

"Yes Quentin looked pretty sharp out there, but what back doesn't against our D? (I'm hoping that'll change shortly) Quentin on the other hand is not the undisputed starter. This is a man fighting for the chance to be the MAN. What I saw last night was two backs with COMPLETELY different motivation. I suspect that Clint's (and the team's) main goal was to step off the field with absolutely no injury setbacks. Unless you've been on another planet for the past two years, you know what he can (and will) do."

Isn't that what the debate has been about? How much of what Portis did in Denver was Portis and how much was system and weak competition. They showed the string of backs who put up great numbers out there and off what Griffin did last night and late last year there's a lot of good reasons to think he can keep that string going. On the other hand Portis is the first back to leave the Denver ground machine healthy so no one really knows if he will be less or more effective in a different system.

You really can't draw any definitive conclusions off such a small sample but I'm guessing most people on this board would be happier today if Portis played like Griffin last night and Griffin played like Portis.

Originally posted by Pocono

You really can't draw any definitive conclusions off such a small sample but I'm guessing most people on this board would be happier today if Portis played like Griffin last night and Griffin played like Portis.

Obviously. But, if you've been around this site for awhile, you quickly realize that there are many among us who are never short on armageddonish, sky is falling type tendancies. I for one try to steer clear of such rash thinkin, and was merely trying to illustrate why Mr. Portis' lack of yardage accumulation last night is no cause for any sort of alarm.

And I DO think that Denver's system is conducive to a very healthy running game. I think Q-tip will be no different, and if he remains the starter, will be very effective. That being said, CP will silence the critics soon enough.

Denver's line is much more seasoned than ours is. Give us a little time to get used to a NEW SYSTEM under Bugel. We will be fine, plus it's just pre-season guys. I know some of you homers were expecting 100 yards on 3 carries, but it just doesn't happen like that in REAL football (maybe in video games).

Archived