Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ernest Byner On Ladell Betts

Hooper

I've been in the anti-Betts camp ever since we drafted him.

Could he become a viable backup in 2004 and beyond? Sure. He's the type of back who's above average across the board in just about every measurable way. He's not lacking anything though he's certainly not special in any one area. The biggest concern now is probably what was considered his biggest strength coming out of college - durability.

But in my heart, I feel like he is just a guy. And when you take a guy in the second round - especially at RB - you are expecting him to become a solid starter, not a solid backup. To me, that makes him a disappointment.

Yes, he could end up contributing and I'd be OK if he started a game or two. But it doesn't make me feel any better when I look at the list of guys we passed on in 2002 for this jabroni.

Here's his scouting report coming out:

Notes: High school All-American and Missouri prep Player of the Year. Has led Iowa in rushing every year he has been in school. As a true freshman in 1998, played in every game, started eight and carried 188 times for 679 yards and five touchdowns and caught 20 passes for 259 yards. Started every regular-season game the past three years but hardly played in the 2001 Alamo Bowl after injuring his hamstring in practice. Carried 189-857-5 and caught 20-195 and one touchdown in 1999. In 2000, Iowa wound up the year with 1,090 net rushing yards as a team, and in 12 starts, Betts carried 232-1,090-5 and caught 17-111-0. In ’01, Betts carried 220-1,056-10 and caught 14-127-1.

Positives: Productive and durable four-year starter who led the Hawkeyes in rushing all four years. Has good run vision and skills. Knows how to use and cut off his blocks and will make the first man miss. Generally catches the ball well.

Negatives: Tries to get too cute and will make too many moves at times. Lacks great top-end speed. Average blocker. Does too much cut-blocking.

Summary: A good, solid, durable back when he is not trying to get too cute. Lacks special qualities but can be a solid pro if he runs north-south instead of east-west.

I like betts. he has shown signs of brilliance, only to be sat again.

tough to get in a flow with those kind of opportunities...

i like him a lot.

always have. I think our offense is going to be sick this years...

deep at quarterback,

nice running back

oline coach buges...

and lots of bruising tightends...

All I will add at this point, Dirk, is that the reason we're having this particular discussion is because RB Coach Earnest Byner came out and said some good things about Betts. Personally, I coupled that with my own feelings about the guy, plus remembered what Doc had to say about him, and I was moved to simply stand up and say I was a Betts guy.

Just seemed the proper venue. :)

Oh. And not directing this at anyone in particular ... but as to the "yeah, but he's a second rounder, man" thing ... hey, we need to judge him on his own merits; it's not HIS "fault" the Skins probably picked him a round early.

Om

I respect your opinion as much as anyone on this board. And you certainly have some good company if Doc and Byner are indeed in your camp. But I just expected to see more out of Betts by now.

RBs probably have the easiest transition of any player in the league. You almost always know by a back's first or second season whether he can handle the big time or not. To have the jury still out is not a good sign.

And I completely disagree that the round he was picked in shouldn't be considered. Fred Smoot and Jon Jansen were 2nd rounders and they are upper echelon starters/captain types. To expect Betts to at least be starting quality is not asking for too much.

But hopefully, we won't find out save for 5-8 carries per game. Because if he does get in there for any length of time, it will mean that Portis is injured and I think we can both agree that that's not a good thing.

:)

Originally posted by Bang

Betts always looks to me to have the size of davis, with quickness Stephen never had. He hits the hole fast and can find the open area quickly. I agree, an asset in every sense to the team.

~Bang

Man what Betts have you been watching? IMO Betts big weakness was/is that he was slow to hit the hole. Davis on the other hand waited for his holes and then displayed a very quick burst through the hole. Davis was and is far faster than Betts and certainly quicker.

I never liked the Betts pick and to date he has confirmed my dislike for that pick. Now if we had waited about two -three rounds to draft him (And we most likely could have) I probably wouldn't have much heartburn at his production (But then Watson would still be here and Betts would be gone).

I'm always willing to trust the word of ex-Redskin insiders, especially guys like Doc and Byner, so I've got my fingers crossed on Betts. Which says something, in my opinion: I need to cross my fingers on Betts, because the guy has a penchant for injury. Again, IMO, if a football player can't stay healthy, then he can't be considered good. The best NFL players stay healthy. Until Betts can kick his injury bug, he's "unproven" in my book. Therefore, my stomach gets a little uneven when I think about relying on him as a backup.

If - the infamous "if" - Betts can stay healthy, then he certainly has the talent and (apparently) the attitude to be a good backup. I'm pulling for him.

Someone earlier compared Betts to Cliff Russell, and that's just silly. At least Betts has played and showed us some skill; Russell has more pine splinters than a red squirrel.

Originally posted by Chachie

While I know this has NOTHING to do with real life, I just want to say that I have just as much success with Betts as I do with Portis in Madden 2004. Just thought I'd toss that piece of abslolute nothing into your thread.

That's why I'm not buying Madden.

Originally posted by Om

All I will add at this point, Dirk, is that the reason we're having this particular discussion is because RB Coach Earnest Byner came out and said some good things about Betts. Personally, I coupled that with my own feelings about the guy, plus remembered what Doc had to say about him, and I was moved to simply stand up and say I was a Betts guy.

Just seemed the proper venue. :)

Oh. And not directing this at anyone in particular ... but as to the "yeah, but he's a second rounder, man" thing ... hey, we need to judge him on his own merits; it's not HIS "fault" the Skins probably picked him a round early.

You can expect Ex-Redskins and current Redskin coaches to praise players currently on the Redskins roster, although, I'm pretty sure the coaches wouldn't have said anything at all if they felt Betts was a bust.

I remember Stephen Davis talking about how good Betts was going to be in the future.

honestly what is ernest gonna say? Ladell has no business stepping onto the field, we expect he will be cut as soon as we are done using him as a tackeling dummy in camp?

If they really felt he had as much talent as anyone else and if given the chance he will realize that potential, u think we woulda given up champ for portis?

Archived