Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jackson Sun Sports: Heath Shuler teaches faith, football

Dead Money

http://miva.jacksonsun.com/miva/cgi-bin/miva?SPORTS/sports_story.mv+link=200407226330285

Heath Shuler teaches faith, football

By JEREMY PEPPAS

jpeppas@jacksonsun.com

Jul 22 2004

It might have been a lazy summer day on Wednesday, but it wasn't at Jackson Christian School.

JCS has been hosting a week-long football camp for grades five through eight, and JCS head football Eric Cohu said about 50 had come out for the camp, with the majority from JCS and Cohu said just a few were from other schools.

Wednesday was a little different, though.

Former University of Tennessee and Washington Redskins quarterback Heath Shuler was in town to help teach at the camp. And JCS' camp is one of several that he helps at.

Wednesday was all about teaching, not just football, but also faith.

''Faith is the most important thing,'' Shuler said to the campers before a break for lunch. ''A personal relationship with Christ is the most important thing that you can develop.''

As far as the football goes, Shuler takes an unconventional approach.

''I live back in North Carolina,'' Shuler said, who recently moved from Knoxville to Waynesville on the western edge of the state near Asheville. ''And I was working with a group of quarterbacks. Well, I took them out to this big pond and they asked me if they needed to put their cleats on and I told them no. Then they asked me if they needed to get the footballs out and I told them no.

''We threw rocks for an hour. The way you throw a rock is the way you throw a football.''

They weren't throwing rocks at JCS, just footballs.

Blake Carden was one of the quarterbacks working out. Carden, who will be in eighth grade this fall, is already 6-foot-2 at all of 13-years old.

''This has helped,'' Carden said. ''I'm throwing with better aim. He (Shuler) was showing me how to set my feet when I throw. Your feet are a long way from your arm, but where they are is important.''

Carden hasn't been playing quarterback very long.

''Two years,'' Carden said. ''I started playing on the line and I touched the ball twice when I was tight end. Then I played tackle and center, but I wanted to handle the ball and I tried out at quarterback and that's where I've been.''

Carden showed a nice touch on throws and even pulled out a long ball, which caused Cohu to say, ''look at that arm'' as the ball sailed deep.

Carden doesn't remember Shuler's playing days, but that isn't any surprise to Shuler.

''When was he born, like '90 or something,'' Shuler said. ''I was at UT, '91-92-93. He was just barely born.''

- Jeremy Peppas, 425-9634

The Shuler file

# An All-American quarterback for Tennessee.

# Picked in the first round by the Washington Redskins, and his career was derailed by injuries.

# Is now in the real estate business and develops commercial and residential properties.

# May have a future in politics.

Originally posted by Funkyalligator

Career derailed by injuries????

His foot was crushed while playing in New Orleans, he was unable to ever play after that.

Me personally, I think Norv Turner's desire to take a mobile athletic QB and surround him with no talent and make him into a Troy Aikman pocket passing clone had more to do with his failures than his own ability, but that's just me.:D

I have never understand why there are so many Shuler haters. Shulers stats during his time here were about the same as John Elway and lots of other young quarterbacks early in their careers. They had a truly crappy offensive line and the only receiver was the 57 year old Henry Eller. I also think Gus Ferrotte coming in as a 7th rounder and picking the offense up quickly made him look bad and created a lot of pressure and doubt in his mind - of course, his training camp holdout didn't help.

I'm not sure that Shuler ever would have been a good quarterback - he didn't seem to understand the offense very well or have good decision making processes. Unfortunately, the injuries derailed his career before the light bulb could come on.

I remember one game where he looked like he was starting to figure things out. It was against Dallas in Dallas I think we won a close game. Things just never worked out for him in D.C. for whatever reasons. I can't believe the way some of you are bashing him. None of you are invited to my funeral!

Archived