Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Interesting Gibbs Stats to Get U Pumped

Bozman777

Check This out. I am ready for some football!

He won three Super Bowls in a 12-year span, and did so with three different starting QBs and three different starting tailbacks.

In Gibbs' tenure as an NFL coordinator and head coach, his teams averaged nearly 5,900 yards of total offense. To put that into perspective, only nine teams in the past three years have produced more yards than the average Gibbs team.

Gibbs will win with whatever weapons at his disposal. In Gibbs' coaching tenure, he maintained almost a perfect 50%/50% run-pass ratio. Yet, there were wide ranging variables from year to year. In 1988, his team threw 58% of the time for 4,339 yards and 33 touchdowns; whereas in 1983, the team only threw 42% of the time and ran the ball an astounding 629 times for 2,625 yards and 30 touchdowns.

Gibbs' teams averaged 524 carries, 2,021 yards and 18 touchdowns a season. In nine of eleven full seasons, his team rushed at least 500 times. His team scored 20 or more rushing touchdowns six separate occasions.

Originally posted by Larry

Wasn't there one year where we shut out three straight teams in the playoffs?

It wasn't the playoffs but rather it was the first three home games of the Bandwagon year 1991.

We opened against Detroit with a 45-0 game. 2 week later we returned home to destroy Phoenix 34-0. 2 weeks after that they played their third home game and shut out the Beagles 23-0.

As I remember in the Detroit game we had first a goal before the 2:00 warning in the 4th quarter and Gibbs made Ryp take a knee so as not to further embarrass the Lions (I also remember that is the Lions team that finished 13-3)

Like every other long time fan I love to hear about his stats, but we need to be realistic the Gibbs that takes the field now will be different then the one before. The NFL is different and this season can go 2 ways, one very good, the other very bad, we just don't know yet.

I'm curious, why do you say this is going to be a different Gibbs? Have you had a personal talk with the man via cell phone? Did he send you an email dictating to you his plans for his tenure with the Redskins this go-around?

What makes anyone THINK that Gibbs is going to be different or that he can't win with the same philosophies as the last time he was here?

Personally, I don't think he's going to change much. Why change something that brought you 3 SB trophies?

Archived