Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Baghdad Sheraton???

skull1669

What's next Georgie? Walmart, Disney World Middle East, or Hooters. Come on don't make the imperialism so obvious.

Rocket strikes Sheraton Hotel in central Baghdad, causing minor damage; another explodes near Baghdad Hotel used by Western security contractors, wounding one person

(you know its a slow day at work when I'm looking stuff like this up)

Skull1669, here's some quick info on the Sheraton Baghdad. Its been around for quite some time.

http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=hot&script=410&layout=6&item_id=514744

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Releases Statement Regarding the Sheraton Baghdad

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 14, 2004--In response to today's events in Baghdad, Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE:HOT) released the following statement:

"The Sheraton Baghdad hotel in Iraq has no direct or indirect association with Starwood's Sheraton brand since the Iraqi government confiscated the property after the first Gulf War. The Sheraton name, in this instance, is currently being used without our permission, and the hotel has not been part of Starwood's portfolio for more than ten years. We look forward to the day we can safely return to Iraq and continue what was a long term and successful history before the first Gulf War."

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. is one of the leading hotel and leisure companies in the world with more than 740 properties in more than 80 countries and 110,000 employees at its owned and managed properties. With internationally renowned brands, Starwood is a fully integrated owner, operator and franchisor of hotels and resorts including: St. Regis, The Luxury Collection, Sheraton, Westin, Four Points by Sheraton, W brands, as well as Starwood Vacation Ownership, Inc., one of the premier developers and operators of high quality vacation interval ownership resorts. For more information, please visit www.starwood.com

Skull, you'll have to excuse the ignorance on my part here -- but how would the presence of Western owned businesses in Iraq be a negative thing? (realizing of course that the Sheraton in question wasn't an example of such, but there are other western businesses slowly coming -- MANY of which are even owned by Iraqi ex-pats that are re-investing in their country)

You know, I always thought of Baghdad as being a mecca of capitalism.

I can't help but think of all those old "genie" movie with markets lining both sides of all the streets and everyone hawking for each others customers.

Just capitalism at it's finest.

Archived