Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins and the playoffs.

AkaD

:helmet: Will the Redskins make the playoffs? Will it just be another season full of close games with mediocre opponents? Will Gibbs be the coach he used to be, or will he be outmatched by a more intricate league than the one he left? Will our acquisitions prove adequate enough to compete?

These are questions that we cannot possibly answer before the season is underway, but we can absolutely have opinions.

Personally, I think coach Gibbs is a coach with qualities and knowledge that's extremely unmatched in the league of today. He knows through other people, and through his own investigating, that the league is much different than it was in 1992. In my opinion, Gibbs will succeed regardless of any evolution the league has endured, not because he is easily acclimated to adversity, but because he himself isn't about what "the league" is about, he is about the game itself. He is a personell man. A leader that players are drawn to. A simple man with simple expectations. He doesn't make a team a difficult or intricate concept, from his playbook to his coaching strategy, he makes it simplistic and enjoyable. He doesn't create a business-like atmosphere, he creates a comfortable family-like work envirenment that is complacent to all that are involved.

We can't possibly answer the questions everyone is asking, but we can have our opinions. We know who and what coach Gibbs brings to our table, because he's been at our table before. It's a wonderful optimism that only Redskins fans could know, and a confidence only Joe Gibbs could create. I don't know about you, but i'm not concerned in the least about the questions surrounding Gibbs' return, i'm just happy to have that old feeling again.

Lates.

I think what we have found out the hard way is the most critical thing in these days of salary caps and teams being pretty much on the same par with each other is coaching is everything. I don't think Gibbs will have a problem whatsoever adjusting to this league. As a matter of fact, I think what he brings to the table as far as coaching ability, attention to detail, and being able to make adjustments during the game are even more important keys to success now more then ever.

My opinion is that this year may in fact be another struggle, at least early on. Just because we have alot of talent and a great coach doesn't mean we need less time to gel. It will take at least 8 games to get into a groove, which may hurt our playoff hopes this year. I think we will become a dominant team in the last 8 games this year and then go into 2005-06 season as a legit super bowl candidate.

It's a "win now" league, especially for us, but every team needs time and this is once again a "new" team.

:point2sky

I agree with the first two posts. Coaching is everything these days, and Gibbs has surrounded himself with the old and the new coaches all proven in their areas of expertise. I see us coming out of the blocks charging and faltering midway, but I still see a playoff berth. Gibbs went from one pressure point to another nascar and succeeded there. The eagles will implode this year, the Giants forget it, and as far as Dallas we will split the games, but I firmly believe we will be on top at the end of year.

Bottom line, whether we make the playoffs are not I know we will improve. I do believe we will make the playoffs though. I think we can do better than Carolina. My only concern is Carolina and the Cowboys kind of snuck up on everyone last year. I don't think the Skins will sneak up on anyone. Too much respect for Gibbs.

Originally posted by budski

The coaches have respect for gibbs, but can those coaches convey that to their players? I dont think the players will believe them until its too late.

Thats the most untrue post I have heard. Every article I have recently read has a player saying "they respect him" or "he demands respect" or "the feeling in the locker rooms is great." That is way off base. Anyways someone else said that we will falter half way through the year after coming out strong... Yeah right that was Spurriers strategy. Plus guys we don't need to sneak up on crap. When the season starts our attitude will be "We are gonna come to your house and whip your:moon: "

,and we will... Bottom Line

If the skins can win 7 and 5 games under Spurrier, with 15 penalties a game and 4-5 other close games that we should have won each of those seasons. I'm pretty sure that if Gibbs just gets rid of the stupid stuff and calls good plays then 10 games will be won even if he doesnt do anything spectacular. I'm not really too worried about it unless there are tons of key injuries or Gibbs has medical problems and quits or something like that.

The coaching staff will give the players everything they can to beable to win. The talents there, and the drive as well. This teams fate is up to the team, not history or anything else. They'll only go as far as they want, and from I've seen and heard so far, they can go straight to the top. But they have to want it, and go get it. It's not just going to be given to them on a silver plater, just the door to get there.

Archived