Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: U.S. official: Fallujah strike almost got al-Zarqawi

jbooma

Getting closer :cheers:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/06/25/iraq.main/index.html

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- A coalition strike in Fallujah on Friday might have come very close to killing Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the wanted terror mastermind, according to a senior Pentagon official.

The official said U.S. warplanes targeted a suspected safe house.

As they began to drop 500-pound bombs on the house, a convoy of cars rolled up to the home. A man left the house, the bombs fell, and the man was thrown to the ground.

He was put into the convoy of cars and the cars drove away.

The official said al-Zarqawi is thought to be the only person in that network of terrorist insurgents who travels with such a large security detail.

The man they saw fall to the ground "wasn't wearing a name tag," but they believe it may have been al-Zarqawi.

The strike killed 20 to 25 people, a senior coalition official said.

It was the third such U.S. airstrike in a week. On Saturday and Tuesday, alleged safe houses in Fallujah linked to the al-Zarqawi network were targeted by U.S. forces and about 38 people were killed.

The target was "based on confirmations of actionable intelligence provided by both Iraqi and coalition intelligence sources," spokesman Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt said Friday.

Al-Zarqawi is a Jordanian-born Islamic militant U.S. officials say has close ties to al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

They also blame him for the videotaped beheading of American businessman Nicholas Berg in May.

Pentagon officials said earlier this week the first two attacks did not target al-Zarqawi directly, but were aimed at targets known to be connected to the so-called terrorist leader.

Iraq tightened security ahead of next week's handover of power, and two top Iraqi government ministers vowed to stand firm against the escalating insurgency.

In Baghdad, Interim Defense Minister Hazem Shallan al-Khuzaei, speaking during a wide-ranging news briefing with interim Interior Minister Falah al-Nakib, issued blunt, tough warnings.

"Today is the day for the Iraqi people to say to those outlaws and traitors the time has come for the showdown," said "And God willing, this showdown will be great."

Both men promised to shore up Iraqi security institutions, brace for insurgent attacks designed to disrupt next Wednesday's transfer of sovereignty to the interim government, and take on the cranked-up insurrection, which Iraqis fear will sow chaos in the coming days.

Meanwhile, fighting continued in Fallujah on Friday. At least seven Iraqis were killed and about 54 others were wounded, according to a health ministry official.

The coalition press office said it was unaware of any overnight activity.

Video from the city, shot Friday morning, showed rising smoke as the sound of small arms fire and explosions could be heard. Heavily armed masked insurgents -- some brandishing rocket launchers -- patrolled the streets, aiming their weapons at unseen targets.

The 1st Marine Expeditionary Force said Thursday its actions in Fallujah have been "strictly defensive in nature." U.S. warplanes and helicopters were taking part in the operation.

More violence could mean more troops

With violence increasing in Iraq as the handover of power approaches, U.S. military planners' contingency plans are to send thousands more ground troops if the fighting continues.

In his confirmation hearing before the Senate on Thursday, Gen. George Casey -- who will soon take over as the commander of coalition forces -- said U.S. Central Command is working on contingency planning for increased violence.

"That is CentCom doing some prudent planning in the event the security situation changes," he said. "But it is not a request for forces or even an informal request for forces."

As many as 15,000 troops could be deployed to Iraq if the insurgency continues to intensify, CNN has learned. About 140,000 U.S. troops are in Iraq.

At least 96 people -- 93 Iraqis and three U.S. troops -- were killed in seemingly coordinated insurgent attacks in five Iraqi cities Thursday.

Hours after the strikes, the military wing of the Unification and Jihad, a group linked to al-Zarqawi, issued a statement on a Web site that claimed responsibility for attacking five police stations in Mosul, two locations in Baqubah, one in Ramadi and another in Baghdad. (Map)

In addition to the 96 killed, 331 people were wounded, according to Iraqi police and health officials.

The frequency and intensity of attacks against U.S. forces, Iraqi officials and security forces and civilian Iraqis have been worsening in recent weeks as the June 30 date for the transfer of sovereignty to Iraq nears.

"The insurgency is much stronger than I certainly would have anticipated," Casey told senators. "I think they have got support from external sources."

On Wednesday, Pentagon officials said a group of Army Reserve soldiers rarely tapped for duty could soon be heading to Iraq.

As many as 6,500 Individual Ready Reserve troops such as military police, infantry and engineers could be called up, Pentagon officials said.

A decision to call up these troops is expected within the next week, according to officials. (Full story)

Police on full alert

Heightened security was highly visible Friday following Thursday's coordinated attacks.

Police officials said security had been increased throughout Iraq, including additional security checkpoints and more forces on the streets ahead of next week's handover of power from the coalition to an interim Iraqi government.

According to a police official, Baghdad police headquarters has ordered all police in the Iraqi capital to be on full alert through the handover.

A police colonel said the moves are being made in anticipation of further terrorist attacks.

Other developments

An imam allied with radical Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr on Friday said the Mehdi Army has stopped its military operations in the Baghdad neighborhood of Sadr City. Before his sermon at Friday prayers in Baghdad, Sheikh Ra'id Al-Kadhimi read a statement from the militia's leadership that said the stoppage came "for the sake of the Iraqi people and because these are sensitive times for our people."

A U.S. military hearing was expected to continue to determine whether to court-martial or dismiss charges against Spec. Sabrina Harman, one of seven U.S. soldiers accused of abusing Iraqi prisoners at Abu Ghraib. The Article 32 hearing, similar to a civilian grand jury, began Thursday morning and was expected to end Friday. (Full story)

A roadside bomb exploded near a police car in western Baghdad on Friday morning, killing one police officer and wounding another, a police official said. The attack took place in the al-Amriyah district.

Jbooma, did you intentionally leave five paragraphs or so out of the beginning of that article or was that CNN? I do notice that your post timestamp is a few minutes before the last article update from CNN so I’m not accusing anyone of anything.

Just wondering, I saw the coverage on CNN TV and it sounded like the attack was realy really close to getting a high level target, talking feet and seconds here. The current CNN article has some info on this.

Originally posted by wkelch

Jbooma, did you intentionally leave five paragraphs or so out of the beginning of that article or was that CNN? I do notice that your post timestamp is a few minutes before the last article update from CNN so I’m not accusing anyone of anything.

Just wondering, I saw the coverage on CNN TV and it sounded like the attack was realy really close to getting a high level target, talking feet and seconds here. The current CNN article has some info on this.

updated

I heard the target may have been dinged up via TV too. I thought I heard the target was being dropped off at the house though (crazy press). Whoever it was was said to have been knocked/blown to the ground and the security personnel rushed up, picked them up, threw him in a car and drove off. This is coming from the press person at the Pentagon right after the report was released at 2pm maybe so its bound to change a bit.

Originally posted by Riggotoni

There were false rumours that Saddam had been hurt in one of our airstrikes.

Since the guy already has a wooden leg anyway, I'm sure anytime he's in danger, his aides might well carry him out.

The scoop is he never had his leg amputated, merely that it was injured.

Archived