Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

something i always wondered

Leonard Washington

i always wondered what is wrong with a car that will cause it to catch on fire? in the summer i see plenty of burnt or burning cars on the side of the road. i've had cars overheat on me, but never get smolder or catch on fire. it doesn't seem to be age pr make issue b/c i've seen 80's buicks as well as 90s-2000s mercedes/ford/lexus/bmw burning with the best of them. what gives? are their any symptoms your car is about to or likely become a bbq pit?

A number of things could occur to cause melt down. We've all heard about the misplaced fuel tanks that cause explosion. I've heard of transmision lines busting, hitting the exhaust. Wire melt down, perhaps an unwanted ground on a live circuit, that is not fuse protected. Such a situation could occur where someone wires in accessories into a preexisting circuit, over loading it, and causing the wires to burn. I'm sure a burst fuel line coming into contact with an exhaust manifold could do the trick. I've heard of people catching their vehicles on fire trying to start them with starting fluid. I also heard of a bus burning from a tool that fell and arked itself against the starter terminal. It can be a particular make/model that has problems. Ussually the manufacturer will recall such vehicles and perform some sort of technical bullitin to correct the problem once they become aware of it. Hope this helped some.

Originally posted by portis2000yrds

Was in tha wrong thread so I figured Id post a cartoon.......lol

:helmet: :helmet: :helmet:

-----------------------------------------------

Great sig pic. You should keep that up there for a while...that's too funny!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :puke: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: laughed so hard I puked...:laugh:

Like someone said above... a number of factors can cause a fire within a car.

I once saw a big cadillac catch fire in a restraunt parking lot one time. The starter malfunctioned and engaged.... trying to start itself.... some sort of electrical malfunction. It sat there trying to start itself until it got so hot it caught the excess oil on the engine block on fire... which spread to the hood insulation and rapidly increased.

Craziest thing... car on fire while it's starter was still engaged with the solenoid and trying to start itself.

Originally posted by portis2000yrds

Was in tha wrong thread so I figured Id post a cartoon.......lol

:helmet: :helmet: :helmet:

-----------------------------------------------

Man that is a great pic.... everyone in my office got a kick out of that pic!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Archived