Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The best proof of Joe Gibbs' coaching ability.......

TC4

......I give you the 1987 Super Bowl season

Think about it. After 2 games, the players go out on strike. The NFL decides to play replacement players in replacement games

While some teams later had some of their regular players come back to play suring the 3 weeks that the strike games were played, one team did not have a single one of their regular players cross the picket line and play, the Washington Redskins

In their three games during the strike, they beat the St. Louis Cardinals 28-21 at RFK, one of many teams with regular players, and to whom the Redskins went into the game a 2 TD underdog, then beat the NY Giants on the road, coached by Bill Parcells, 38-12, and then, in the very last strike game, beat the Dallas Cowboys on Monday night in Texas Stadium, 13-7, a Cowboys team that has such starters as QB Danny White, RB Tony Dorsett, and D-linemen Ed "Too Tall" Jones and Randy White

Remember now, this was a Redskins team that was thrown together in just under 2 weeks, as after the players went out on strike, they called off the week three games and gave the strike teams just under 2 weeks to get into playing shape for the strike games

Thus, Joe Gibbs and his staff did a masterful job of getting together a entire team's worth of ragtag, mostly unknown players and being one of just 3 teams(The 49ers and Chargers being the other two) who went 3-0 during the strike

That alone truly shows the real ablility of Joe Jackson Gibbs as a football coach :logo:

the first superbowl was a strike year too. Until he won his third superbowl there were critics that said he could only win during a strike season. One thing that I can't wait for is his second half adjustments. Over the last few years, I would always have hope that the skins would make adjustments and win the game becuase I was so programmed to believe that. Of course, it very rarely happened....spurrier didn't believe in second half adjustments.

Not to mention he beat Dallas team laden with guys who broke the picket line.

I think the truer testament that year is that Gibbs won the Super Bowl playing musical quarterbacks, something you're not supposed to be able to do.

~Bang

Guest Westbrook36

"Back in Nineteen clickety click, we used to play with leather helmets and had just institituted something we liked to call the 'forward pass'......."

Originally posted by Westbrook36

"Back in Nineteen clickety click, we used to play with leather helmets and had just institituted something we liked to call the 'forward pass'......."

Hey West, how many Super Bowls have the Eagles won again?

To quote your sig line, "That's what I thought"

:eaglesuck

Looks like Philly-boy is trying to boost his spirits after Smarty Jones' NFC Championship game defeat by trolling. Nice try.

Guest Westbrook36
Originally posted by TC4

Hey West, how many Super Bowls have the Eagles won again?

To quote your sig line, "That's what I thought"

The Eagles have 3 NFL Championships including two back to back shutouts which has never been duplicated.

Do real Eagle's fans talk about that? No, of course not. Because if it happened 10, 20, 30, or 40 years ago, it has no bearing on next season.

So why in your common misconceptions on the Eagles secondary thread did you bring up last years stats?

Guest Westbrook36
Originally posted by fixer26er

So why in your common misconceptions on the Eagles secondary thread did you bring up last years stats?

You can make points when you have the same players to compare between two seasons.

Unless I'm mistaken, is Darrell Green, or any of the 80's boys coming back this year?

You can make points when you have the same players to compare between two seasons.

Unless I'm mistaken, is Darrell Green, or any of the 80's boys coming back this year?

Unless I am mistaken, you DON'T have the same players.

Originally posted by hercules

Leather helmets?? Isn't that the era when even the Eagles were winning championships? Pre-Super Bowl type championships, of course.

The good old days - when men were men and played both ways. Today, that phrase has a completely different meaning. :D

The Eagles have 3 NFL Championships including two back to back shutouts which has never been duplicated.

Do real Eagle's fans talk about that? No, of course not. Because if it happened 10, 20, 30, or 40 years ago, it has no bearing on next season.

Well first, WIN A SUPER BOWL TITLE, not just play in and LOSE an NFC Title game, and THEN, maybe we will take you more seriously when you try to talk smack on here

WOW leather helmets ??, eagles winning 3 NFL championship games ?? you guys must be really old to remember that stuff....

But I remember Joe Gibbs winning those 3 superbowls..... I remember those masterful halftime adjustments and I remember him doing it with no-name players, and built teams.... not a sets of individuals...

Guest Westbrook36
Originally posted by TC4

Well first, WIN A SUPER BOWL TITLE, not just play in and LOSE an NFC Title game, and THEN, maybe we will take you more seriously when you try to talk smack on here

Oh ok, I guess since an NFL Championship is the same thing it really isn't since it doesn't have the catchy name of "Superbowl".

I'll file that nugget of info away.

Well let's talk about the last three years, when they were watching the Super Bowl on TV like the rest of us. :stfu:

:eaglesuck :eaglesuck

:helmet:

This guy from the 80s they called Joe Jackson Gibbs is coming back. He's same one TC4 was talking about coaching a ragtag team.

So in fact, the info is directly relevant, and your "leather helmets" reference just proves how much you want to actually SEE your team win a title, not just hear about it or watch old tapes.

Gibbs is good at making adjustments and he's a champion. His teams have won 3 World Championships. The city of Philly hasn't won a Championship in any sport in over 20 years. They dont understand about making adjustments to become Champions is about. They whine and complain but cant win. Whether it's called Super Bowl or World Championship the Eagles have shown the last couple of years they cant get it done with their Championship Coach Andy Reid.

At least back in the day the Iggles could get to the Super Bowl; even though they couldn't win.

Nowadays they can't even get to the Super Bowl. With the level of talent they have had, that's pathetic.

The point of my short story: :eaglesuck ...and they can't win when it matters most

Originally posted by Coolinrastaboi

At least back in the day the Iggles could get to the Super Bowl; even though they couldn't win.

Nowadays they can't even get to the Super Bowl. With the level of talent they have had, that's pathetic.

The point of my short story: :eaglesuck ...and they can't win when it matters most

*said in whiney childs voice* It wasn't much of a story. I want something with stronger conflict, a better resolution. I guess there is a protagonist and antagonist, but I thought their relationship could be developed more.

Originally posted by ramseyskins

This guy from the 80s they called Joe Jackson Gibbs is coming back. He's same one TC4 was talking about coaching a ragtag team.

So in fact, the info is directly relevant, and your "leather helmets" reference just proves how much you want to actually SEE your team win a title, not just hear about it or watch old tapes.

And we have a winner.

Westbrook36, our superbowls are VERY relevant, because the guy that was the coach when we won them is our coach now. We are allowed to mention this very relevant fact as many times as we like, and if you get snotty about it one more time you can take a few days off to mull over this extremely simple logic. Get it?

phillly sucks, and so do the fans...loud obnoixious...they are just mad their ancestors didnt make it to new york...so they are always jealous...

philly is going to be in third place this year...dont believe the TO or jevon kearse hype...oh yeah, donvan SUCKS/////

Archived