Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoot Interview on Redskins.com

pr11fan

This team need to keep Smooty Flakes. He has the attitude and I think he's going to have a breakout year this year. Showed tons of heart last year, the most of the CB's. I know this is a contract year for the guy, but he needs to stay here, IMHO. We'll see what Peter Queen has to say about the 'Skins regretting the draft of Smoot. Actually... we probable won't. Crow isn't so tasty... :laugh:

Nick

I am a HUGE Smoot fan and I think we GOTTA get him re-signed..........................and I haven't even read the interview yet!

However,

I think we might be singing a different tune throughout the year. Our Defense has an equally inept DL as last year, as has been painfully covered ad nauseum on this board. And with the loss of Champ, our secondary has been diminished NOT enhanced even with the additions of Shawn Springs and Taylor (a rookie). The Only upgrade we've made is speed at LB and potentially in the coaching department.

I jus think we're REALLY gonna feel the loss of Champ this year, especially if we don't apply any pressure on the QB.

Originally posted by fish

The Only upgrade we've made is speed at LB and potentially in the coaching department.

Ok, OK, NOT "potentially". We DEFINATELY upgraded the defensive coaching.:doh:

My Bad, My Bad.

its funny cause I remember a while ago I read in the washington post how Champ may remain a redskin for years to come, but Smoot may leave. They were talking about Darrell Green's retirement back then. Suddenly its reversed, Champ left and Smoot wants to stay. Hopefully we let him stay.

To the other posts, our secondary is sitll pretty strong as long as Smoot and Springs can remain healthy, and safety has just improved, now we have Iffy or Bowen as a backup instead of David Terrel. Our d-line is sitll slightly improved over last year, not saying much. The coaches will do something though.

My only concern is why we weren't reading about Smoot's dedication and work ethic his first couple years in the league. It almost appears he now sees the need to morph into this player we see now in order to get "paid" when his contract expires. Benefit of the doubt says he's matured.... but that inkling is still in the back of my mind.

It was always there he just wasnt getting the press clippings.

If you remember his rookie year toothpicks were caling Smoot slim.

Now look at how much he has added to that thin frame.

Smoot is no where a stubby or any other player who shines in their contract year for the big bucks he has improved annually

"I am looking for players who want to be Redskins."

Joe Gibbs

To me, Joe Gibbs saying that, was looking for leadership, camradarie being the vehicle. Well the later is in now, as Gibbs atested to the other day at mini-camp and Fred Smoot is ONE of those with that torch lit over his head. It is compliment from the player and to the coach that he reads Gibbs loud and clear, like a drill sergeant breathes life into his platoon.

Smoot and Springs (a class act that compliments, the NFL, Redskins, and the community (where have I heard this before ;) , this time, there are TWO - make that THREE of them - when Harris is healthy, man you are going to loooooove this guys attitude for the game!

Originally posted by Cskin

My only concern is why we weren't reading about Smoot's dedication and work ethic his first couple years in the league. It almost appears he now sees the need to morph into this player we see now in order to get "paid" when his contract expires. Benefit of the doubt says he's matured.... but that inkling is still in the back of my mind.

Couple things actually make me feel the opposite about that... I feel it's a good thing he's coming along and don't worry about the timing. One thing... he's growing up. He's not a college kid anymore. Another thing... I can't remember ever reading an article like that about Champ. Smoot always wants to improve, grow and lead, now more than ever.

Nick

Archived