Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Same Judge OK'ed Muslim Prayer

Thiebear

The irony of it all... What was that about legislating from the bench. Hopefully the "Civil Liberties" group has time to look into this one ;)

Tuesday, June 1, 2004 11:04 p.m. EDT

Same Judge OK'ed Muslim Prayer

The same San Francisco federal judge who just overturned a federal law banning partial-birth abortions also approved of Muslim prayer in schools when federal rulings ban all other denominational prayers and activities.

In a December 2003 decision, U.S. District Judge Phyllis Hamilton decided that it was lawful for a California middle school teacher to require students to recite Muslim prayers, get down on their knees and role-play as Muslim adherents.

As part of the class students were told to recite: "In the name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful. Praise be to Allah, Lord of Creation, The Compassionate, the Merciful, King of Judgment-day! You alone we worship, and to You alone we pray for help, Guide us to the straight path."

The Byron County 7th-grade world history teacher was sued by the parents of one of the students, who claimed that their child had been coerced to engage in a religious practice.

Hamilton, in a summary judgment, ruled that the teacher's actions were legal.

The teacher prepared a student guide which said that as part of the study of Islam "you and your classmates will become Muslims."

According to court documents, the teacher also read the Koran and Muslim prayers out loud in class and required students to recite lines of Muslim prayers in class as well.

Students also were told to recite Islamic prayers as they exited the class, including the Muslim refrain "In the name of God, most merciful, most gracious."

The teacher also assigned students to fast or give up something like TV for a day to experience Islam's month of Ramadan and one of its pillars of faith.

At the end of their Islamic studies, students also were required to write an essay on Islam. But, but the teacher instructed her students, "BE CAREFUL HERE – If you don't have something positive to say, don't say anything!!!"

In her ruling, Judge Hamilton threw out the parents' case, saying the religious role-playing was not tantamount to the exercise of religion and the school activities were not of a devotional or religious nature.

So the teacher is teaching a religion but not allowing you to have an actual opinion if its not positive :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And a Judge thought this was not teaching a religion?

Sounds to me like there is a failure to communicate as it never should have made it past the Principal...

*Newsmax disclaimer: It may cause seizures in the liberal types ....

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/6/1/230708.shtml

So...let me get this straight... children are banned from reciting god's prayer in public school.... or even studying anything about Christianity for fear of offending someone NOT of the Christain Faith.

But.... it's perfectly legal to have the children learn Islam and "be muslims" and pray like muslims for a month. Then, in the end, write an essay about Islam that must be positive and embracing.

Liberalism....the enemy within!!!!

Anyone got a link that isn't newsmax? Don't want to have a "seizure" or anything but newsmax is a right wing version of the weekly world news. I still remember them reporting a white girl getting beaten on "beat up the white kid day" as an assualt on hate crimes legislation, but failing to mention the kids that attacked her were charged with a hate crime. Thus I am left wondering what part of this case has been left out.

Originally posted by AJWatson3

let me guess destino... beat up white people day was in san franscisco too... crazy ass queer liberals.... burn 'em!

Cleveland I think. While you are burning liberals could you heat me up a hotdog?

Archived