Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Upshaw and the salary cap

gbear

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A60229-2004May27.html

Did anyone else catch this blurb in the Post today:

That representatives for the union and the league have had a few meetings to begin negotiating an extension of their labor agreement, which runs through the 2007 season. Upshaw said he hopes to have a deal to present to the players by the completion of the upcoming season. The extension probably will run through the 2011 season, Upshaw said, to coincide with the league's new television contracts. Upshaw said a six-year TV deal is desired because it would enable the three networks to broadcast the Super Bowl at least twice. The NFL's current TV contracts run through the 2005 season. Upshaw also hinted that the union will seek a heftier percentage of revenues for the players under the salary cap.

"I think there will be a pretty significant change on how we approach the whole economic model," Upshaw said. "The way that we approached it in the past and a lot of things that we did 10 years ago, we've outgrown with where we are now. So we have to look at a different way of how do I get more to my guys? What I'm saying is, 'I need more money.' That's the whole approach to it, is to try to get more to the players because they [the owners] are making a lot. If you look at the price of a team -- even [Redskins owner Daniel] Snyder, everyone thought he was nuts that he paid as much as he did [$800 million] for the team. But if you look at what it's worth right now, it's now probably $1.4 [billion], $1.5 billion in a very short period of time. So we have to address those. Those are the things that we're kind of looking at."

----------------------------------------

It seems like he wants a big jump in the salary cap. Doesn't that mean that some of our current long term "big contracts" may not hurt as much as we currently think once the new labor agreement goes into effect? Aren't most of the doomsayers saying we'll have trouble in 2006?

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

1.4 or 1.5 billion? The price nearly doubled? I can believe its at 1 billion but doubling in such a short time is hard to believe

It seems like he wants a big jump in the salary cap. Doesn't that mean that some of our current long term "big contracts" may not hurt as much as we currently think once the new labor agreement goes into effect?

That's kinda' what we've been saying all along... :cheers:

:logo: :helmet:

Nick

Depends on how you calculate value, I mean if you sold the team today, you probably would include in the price not only the stadium and seat revenue, but also current (and potentially future) merchandise sales, etc.....Considering how willing and able Snyder is to put down huge bonsuses on players.....it might not be to far fetched.

Archived