Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Monte Coleman = ?

skns4life

I'm going to go with Wayne Chrebet. Not the same position obviously, so you cannot compare in that sense. But both were drafted out of small schools (actually, I'm not even sure if Chrebet was drafted...he may have been a walk-on if I remember correctly). Neither of them would even be considered the best player on their team at their position, yet they both show up every week to play. Both are tough players who made/are making a long career in the NFL, when by all rights neither should have been playing in the league at all (Monte would not have even been drafted in today's league since the draft doesn't go to the 11th round :) )

Monte was one of the greatest Redskins ever, in my opinion. No one exeplified the honor like he did. He was a warrior and should get his name in the ring of fame.

Hmm, today. Today things are so specialized,, and Coleman did it all for us,, as noted above,, he was a TERRIFIC pass covering LB, he was an excellent hitter, never ever out of position, played special teams,, basically, I think he would have been the kicker if the Redskins had needed it.

I don't know that i would compare him to anyone today, because anyone today that does as much as he did would thump his chest and make sure everyone knew it.

Monte just carried on like it was business as usual.

Again, he was one of the greatest Redskins of all time. Incomparable.

~Bang

My buddy and I always argued between Monte and Olky. While we both loved BOTH of them, I stood up for Monte and he Olky.

My argument was Monte's speed. He was a physical freak AND he had endurance. He played longer.

As to whom to compare him with today..............tough question. Nobody comes to mind. I really don't have that much time, especially in the off season, to think about league-wide LBs. What about Dexter Coakley?

Arrington. It took a couple of years for Coleman to get on track, but he was a "Safety" a little bigger than Taylor, but the added bulk didn't affect his game, so Coleman was able to be all everything to the skins, defensively. Stop the run, stop the pass, make the big, big play, make the hits, leadership, Special Teamer with gusto' and respected off the field.

Monte will surely join a list of Redskins including Gary Clark, Joe Jacoby, Russ Grimm, Jeff Bostic, Charles Mann, Manley, Dave Butz and Art Monk to be ignored by the Hall of Fame.

Meanwhile Irvin and Ken Norton, Jr. will be ushered in on first ballot.

Archived