Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FOX: Redskins Team Report 5-24-04

bubba9497

Redskins Team Report

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2426644

LG Derrick Dockery's footwork already is better than last season, and he will have a better understanding of what he needs to do to be successful. Dockery is huge (6-6, 345) but quick enough to pull. He needs to make better use of his leverage and play with his pads lower. A preseason of pointers from line coach Joe Bugel should smooth out many of the rough edges. . . .

QB Gibran Hamdan will battle Tim Hasselbeck for the No. 3 job. Hamdan has a strong arm but lacks experience. He's getting some in NFL Europe, but whether he'll benefit more from that than he would have by learning the new offense at the team's facility is another question.

SAFETIES ANALYSIS

Sean Taylor brings a rare combination of size, speed and power to the free safety spot. He has the ability to cover a significant amount of ground in a short amount of time, and he is more than capable of delivering cleat-shaking hits. Matt Bowen will slide to strong safety and battle Ifeanyi Ohalete for the starting job. Bowen has decent size and speed, is capable of covering tight ends and is a big hitter. Ohalete is an underrated performer. He's not as good in coverage as Bowen, but Ohalete can deliver big blows at least as well. Andre Lott and Todd Franz will battle for the fourth safety spot. Lott is better in the base defense. He moves quickly and is better in coverage. Franz has struggled in coverage but is a solid special teams player.

Originally posted by blakman211

I think Frantz will surprise some people this year and beat out Lott. He had some mistakes last year, but I think he's gonna be a better player than Lott.

Nah, I think the opposite, Lott will blossom under Willams and company, and be more of a contributor this season.

QB Gibran Hamdan will battle Tim Hasselbeck for the No. 3 job. Hamdan has a strong arm but lacks experience. He's getting some in NFL Europe, but whether he'll benefit more from that than he would have by learning the new offense at the team's facility is another question.

McCants was on the Sports Junkies last week talking about how Hasselbeck had upped his game a bit since last season. Listening to what he said about Hamdan, I don't see where there's any competetion. Maybe he'll be a different player once he's finished in Europe.

Nick

Originally posted by skns4life

hasselbeck beats out hamden and lott beats out franz....but with the kind of luck the redskins have after players leave washington, watch hamden tear up the NFL in a couple of years.....maybe the next delhomme or warner

I agree with you predictions of who beats out who, but I think Hamden will find his place on the enlarged practice squad roster. He will probably be there for a year or two, and then move into the third spot when Brunnel retires in two to three years.

Gibran is probably gone. Someone will sign him late from the Practice squad, if he continues to improve.

And Lott beats out Franz pretty easily, as long as he puts in some work on special teams.

I'm excited about Dockery. I think he could be a monster eventually. Heck, in the Skins offense, within 2-3 years, under Bugel's tutiledge, I wouldn't be shocked if he's one of the better guards in the league.

Originally posted by Liberty

I think we should keep Hamdan on the team and send Hasslebeck to the practice squad, because Hamdan has far more potential to become decent than Hasslebeck, atleast when we talk about being a pure passer.

A big arm means squat if you don't know what to do with it. Hamden will need time to learn and lots of work to make it in the NFL. His best move is the practice squad.

Hasselback is getting much praise of late from Gibbs and teammmates. After next season he may not be here, as an UFA he may opt to sign somewhere else as a clear #2. Besides Hasselback can not go on the practice squad, even if Gibbs would want to send him, his eligibilty for the practice squad has run out.

Originally posted by Liberty

I think we should keep Hamdan on the team and send Hasslebeck to the practice squad, because Hamdan has far more potential to become decent than Hasslebeck, atleast when we talk about being a pure passer.

Not to long ago I would've agreed with this, but now I don't know. I think that Timmy is just knows how win. Look what he did for us the last five weeks, when just about everybody on the team had given up. Timmy will be a great back up for many years.

I don't think that Hamden will go. He didn't get any playing time last season, and I don't think that anybody will pick him up from waivers before he's listed on the practice squad. And once on the practice squad, it'll cost too much for another team to come in and get him.

those 2 controversies, im going with Hamdan and Lott. Hamdan has the arm, and sure he doesnt have experience, but he could easily gain some. Tim, I thought he could do well seeing those last 5 games, but now I dont think he played terribly well, he was decent and average, but definitely did not have the skill that a starter does. With 2 great qb's now, id say we give Hamdan that 3rd spot.

I dont know much about Lott or Franz, but I just think that there was a reason why we drafted Lott in the 5th round and why Franz became a UDFA I believe.

Question if we got down to our #3 QB who would you rather have play.

A. A experienced QB who has started some games, is smart and been in QB school with Gibbs

B. A Strong armed QB who has no experience, only started half his Senior Season in college, and is a backup in NFLE?

Alkie Smith and Ryan Leaf both have cannons for a passing arms....

Hamden will benefit greatly by being on the practice squad again this season and play in Europe again next season. Beside that is the logical choice for Gibbs, that way the Skins keep all 4 QB's.

Reading that about Dockery really gets me excited for the O-Line's play this year. If Raymer can hold up there is a huge upside to this line. Man, if they can get to play aggressively and shove people around that will do wonders for everything the offense does. It will give them the mental edge of imposing their will upon the guy across from them. That's a tremendous edge in the trenches, the ability to impose a whipping on the other guy sets you up for the entire game. Really looking forward to the Line's play this year.

Originally posted by bubba9497

Nah, I think the opposite, Lott will blossom under Willams and company, and be more of a contributor this season.

Watch out for UDFA Dennard Wilson. He can cover TE's, he hits, and he plays Special Teams. Hey, that's three out of three! He could surprise. But if Wilson doesn't make it, I give Franz the edge over Lott because Special Teams are truly a big deal to Gibbs.

Originally posted by bubba9497

Question if we got down to our #3 QB who would you rather have play.

A. A experienced QB who has started some games, is smart and been in QB school with Gibbs

B. A Strong armed QB who has no experience, only started half his Senior Season in college, and is a backup in NFLE?

Alkie Smith and Ryan Leaf both have cannons for a passing arms....

Hamden will benefit greatly by being on the practice squad again this season and play in Europe again next season. Beside that is the logical choice for Gibbs, that way the Skins keep all 4 QB's.

What you say makes perfect sense to me, Bubba.

I like Lott, but I don't like his size. Every year, we've been saying that he's goning to blossom and make a name for himself, but I'm starting to think that all he is is a name. There were moments when Frantz looked real good last year. Given he made some mistakes, but I think that he has a chance to be a nice reserve safety/special teamer.

It seems strange to me to have Sean Taylor at free safety this season.

I've always though of the position as (traditionally) one with a lot of responsibility and better left to a veteran like Bowen in the short term.

Could it be that the Redskins will do something similar to what Dallas has done with Roy Williams? Where Taylor is a "Free Safety" that basically plays near the line of scrimmage all day?

Archived