Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

West Coast Offense?

Mr. S

I hear about a lot of teams in the 'west coast offense' style, and I hear about players switching from that style to something else, like Rob Johnson last year switching from west coast to fun n gun. Thing is, what is the West Coast Offense, can someone give a summary of it or something, I'd just like to know what exactly constitutes a west coast style.

West Coast Offense:

Largely credited to Bill Walsh who spawned many many NFL head coaches who use the system today including but not limited to Jon Gruden, Mike Holmgren, Andy Reid, etc.

The system uses short passes dependant on timing and yards after the catch. Every coach who uses this offensive system tweaks it to their liking such as:

Jon Gruden relies heavily on crossing patterns while Mike Holmgren has added more down-field patterns to the mix. Other teams may incorporate the run into the system than others. More than anything though, timing is the critical element to this system (not that its not critical to any system, but tremendous timing between a QB and his WR is essential for the WCO to be successful).

Thats about the extent of what I know about it. Perhaps there is a site out there that can explain it further to you. Watch the Eagles and Bucs play this season against the Skins. Both of those teams use the WCO in what I think is its purest form.

Hail Skins.

Ok. I for one am not going to go and google the sucker and then post it like I knew what I was talking about. LIke Jetro, I did know that it's basically ball control using the pass instead of the run, but apparently there's much more to it, ( obviously). Here ya go. Good site to learn about it. West Coast Offense Fellows with a tad more knowledge than I seem to go there to learn about it.

PCS-

Is that a shot at me?

What I said came straight from my head, no internet research whatsoever. I have watched enough football and heard enough broadcasters and coaches talk about it that I can describe the basics of the system. What I said is not near what I could find if I actually did some research on it. If you dont agree or think Im wrong in what I say then tell me. Dont assume, however, that just because I said something that you didnt know about a particular offense that I just dug it up from a search engine.

Dang, Im just tryin to help the man out...

Absolutely not Jethro. Certainly not my intention. It was an attempt at humor, ( though apparently a weak one), and apologies if it came across as a shot at ya. None intended. And remember 2 things. If I take a shot, I tend towards actually pointing out who I'm taking a shot at. Also, I try to never assume. Assumptions are based on what people think they know as opposed to what they do know. I try to clarify if I'm doing so. Have one on the house.

Originally posted by Park City Skins

Ok. I for one am not going to go and goolge the sucker and then post it like I knew what I was talking about. I did know that it's basically ball control using the pass instead of the run, but apparently there's much more to it, ( obviously). Here ya go. Good site to learn about it. West Coast Offense Fellows with a tad more knowledge than I seem to go thee to learn about it.

Thanks PCS, you show personal integrity and provide a useful link of information. :notworthy

I'm old enough to reflexively think (incorrectly) of West Coast Offense as Air Coryell:laugh:

haha, well thanks guys for the info. It seems like the offense is still used with screen passes and whatnot, but also quick routes with slants and curls. One still needs a running game though to be completely successful i feel.

This is my take on the West Coast Offense.

The passing side of the West Coast Offense is a system of timing, but it built of a series of "reads" and "check-down".

The O attacks the D and tries to dictate the formation. The QB is responsible to read the D and determine the progession of pass opportunities throughout the timing of the play. The backs and tight end have the responsibility to read the D and release for a 4th or 5th read (or check down). It is their responsibility to run to the open area left by the defense.

In this system, ball control is done in the passing aspect of the O. Success a result of the the yards after catch. (ie - the short dump-off pass of three yards goes for 12 yards because the D is out of position due to the other action of the O).

The successful West Coast Offense (like all successful offenses) MUST have a serious run threat. This allows the effective use of the play-action threat for the deep routes.

Would you believe that the skins were a West Coast offense for a season, back when Ritchie Pettibon was head coach. Mark Rypien was the QB. The skins looked good thru the preseason up to the season opener against the Dallas Cowgirls, where the skins ran all over them in a laugher(I don't remember the final score). After that we stunk for the rest of the season at 4-12 record.

That was a tough season for skins fans.

The simplest way to envision the WCO is this: get the ball into the hands of your best weapon as fast as possible and as often as possible.

It's ealiest conception is actually traced back to Paul Brown with the Cleveland Browns (of course it would not have recieved the monicker West Coast at that time). If you run a stats check on Otto Graham you should be very surp[rised at his numbers as a passer if you compare them to other QBs of his era.

The purpose of the underneath, crossing and slant routes is to keep the defense from taking away your best weapon by assigning double coverages to him.

The essentials to run it are an accurate QB that always delivers ther ball in stride (McNabb's problem), big, smart WRs that must win their route assignments vs coverage and gain yards afetr the catch. RBs with equal ability to be effective in the passing game, running game and pass protection schemes. And an offensive line that is disciplined in it's assignments.

It is a complicated system and is unforgiving if the sum of it's parts do not perform as needed. An interesting side note is that the team most largely noited for the success of the WCO no longer runs it, SF.

Archived