Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kerry war hero? not!

Ravens777

Ravens777 - I think the term drinking the kool-aid is just not a strong enough comment here. Nothing is black and white. So you have an opinion, great. What you are trying to do right now is like trying to convince a Redskins fan that Ravens fans are better. Ridiculous right? If your goal was to start a thread to 'convert' people, you are on the wrong board. If your goal was to hear like minds on this issue - try the many pro Bush boards out there. What I can tell you are just trying to antagonize people, and that is what I call a Bully.

Originally posted by Thiebear

Kerry went over and fought - got no issue with that

Kerry threw away his medals - got no issue with that

Kerry then put them back on later - got an issue with that

Kerry then pulled out the same war he dissed as his credentials - got an issue with that...

Kerry claimed fights that the previous commander was the leader of - I got an issue with that.

Bush did National Guard - dont have an issue with that Fighter Pilot is one of the most dangerous.

Then took approx. a year and helped someone get elected during that time - I got an issue with that...

Doesnt appear to actually have been AWOL and using his "daddy's" influence (hid dad didnt have any at the time).

But he doesnt run on his National Guard Service and bring it up to every elementary school he tours at..... Dont have an issue with it.

Great job!!! Lets also remember how Kerry said leaders of other countries want him in office and then did not have the ba*** to say what country said it. Why? Because he cant, why? because there is zero leaders telling him that more less even talking to him....... Again, this man is not a leader.... I dont claim that Bush is the answer to all the problems this country is having but out of the two (Kerry & Bush) I will take Bush anyday of the week.......

Originally posted by Alvin_Walton40

Ravens777 - I think the term drinking the kool-aid is just not a strong enough comment here. Nothing is black and white. So you have an opinion, great. What you are trying to do right now is like trying to convince a Redskins fan that Ravens fans are better. Ridiculous right? If your goal was to start a thread to 'convert' people, you are on the wrong board. If your goal was to hear like minds on this issue - try the many pro Bush boards out there. What I can tell you are just trying to antagonize people, and that is what I call a Bully.

Some points are well taken but the one about posting on another board, please this section of the board is made for many different topics. Just because you may not agree with my post does not mean I am a bully.... I have heard a lot of things on this thread today but this by far takes the cake, bully because I asked a question on a board that was made for thoughts......OK!

Puffy Paint

Mix equal parts of salt, flour, and water in a large bowl. Place mixture into squeeze bottles. Add paint into bottles and shake well. Best used on poster board.

Originally posted by LC80

Puffy Paint

Mix equal parts of salt, flour, and water in a large bowl. Place mixture into squeeze bottles. Add paint into bottles and shake well. Best used on poster board.

Running from the topic only shows that you cant combat my points

Originally posted by Kilmer17

You are correct. I missed that my first time through. I dont recall any death threats, but if there were some, they were over the line. It was perfectly fine though to call them traitors, idiots, morons, and suggest they be tried for treason. Draw the line at threats to harm or kill.

Mea Culpa

:laugh:

Are you serious? You want the Dixie Chicks tried for Treason for not liking the Presdent? HAHAHAHA!

Are you serious? You want the Dixie Chicks tried for Treason for not liking the Presdent? HAHAHAHA!

No, but that's not what I said. I said it was okay for someone to say that. Especially contrasted against a death threat. One is acceptable speech, the other is not.

Try and follow along.

No, but that's not what I said. I said it was okay for someone to say that. Especially contrasted against a death threat. One is acceptable speech, the other is not.

Try and follow along.

Who wants to silence anyone? Of course it's okay. No one has ever tried to stop right wingers from making fools of themselves, hell we on the left enjoy it.

"Them thar Dixie Chicks are traitors! I say we send them to Mex-E-Co to be with the other commies! Yeehaw!"

Glad to see we agree Kilmer.

Originally posted by Ravens777

Some points are well taken but the one about posting on another board, please this section of the board is made for many different topics. Just because you may not agree with my post does not mean I am a bully.... I have heard a lot of things on this thread today but this by far takes the cake, bully because I asked a question on a board that was made for thoughts......OK!

OK, Bully was a poor choice of words, how bout antagonist? To your original question - which I believe is not a political question at all. Is Kerry a war hero? John Kerry was awarded the Silver Star, the Bronze Star with Combat V and three Purple Hearts for his service in Vietnam. I really think that republican or democrat or I don't give a sh@t - any man awarded these medals would be considered a war hero.

I could not get the link to work but here is one of the news bits I was talking about.....

Politics - AFP

Bush attacks Kerry's foreign "mystery men"

AFP to My Yahoo!

AFP Photo

Reuters

Slideshow: Elections

Kerry said in March that decision-makers from abroad told him privately they hoped he will defeat the president in the November 2 election, but he has refused to identify them.

"He claims to have picked up some important endorsements from foreign leaders," Bush said. "Whoever these mystery men are, they will not be deciding this election."

"I'm here to ask for the endorsement, not of foreign leaders, but of the American people," he told cheering supporters here during a two-day tour through vote-rich Michigan and Ohio.

The Massachusetts senator defended his remarks after it was reported in April that he had not travelled on official business abroad in two years by suggesting that he met with them in New York.

"I've got a hunch this whole thing might be a case of mistaken identity," Bush said here. "Just because somebody has an accent or a nice suit or a good table in New York City doesn't make them a foreign leader."

I think it's great when a left tries to stereotype people on the right. Shows your true colors.

I never said all right wingers are like that, but idiots who want the Dixie Chicks tried for treason get no respect from me. I stand by that statement.

As for my true color, it's Blue.

Here is another news story about Kerry.... you wanted the news , well here it is...

Vietnam War Protests

Throwing Vietnam Medals

UPDATED 4.26.04

RIGHTWING FICTION: John Kerry lied about throwing his medals during a Vietnam War protest.

FACT: The day after John Kerry gave his famous speech before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on April 22 of 1971 where he asked the committee "How do you ask a man to be the last man to die in Vietnam?" and "How do you ask a man to die for a mistake?," the VVAW made its final planned public act of the demonstration by organizing a medal returning ceremony. A wood and wire fence was erected around the Capitol, and thousands of veterans then lined up to return to the government their medals, ribbons, discharge papers, and uniforms by throwing these items over the fence. Many veterans made a statement before returning the military paraphernalia and the protest took hours because of the long line of protestors returning their medals. The veterans who could not attend the event in DC had surrogates throw the medals on their behalf. John Kerry threw back combat ribbons representing awards he won in Vietnam. He also returned the medals of two veterans who could not attend the event.

John Kerry is proud of the work he did to end the Vietnam War. He returned his ribbons as a symbolic gesture to make the point that the Vietnam war had to end. For John Kerry, the symbolism of medals and ribbons is interchangeable: "We all referred to them as the symbols they were representing," he told "Good Morning America" on ABC. The point was to end the Vietnam war and to keep more young American men from dying because of President Nixon's failed policies. At the time, Kerry said, "I am not doing this for any violent reasons, but for peace and justice, and to try to make this country wake up once and for all." [Tour of Duty, Douglas Brinkley]

1971: Oliphant Writes About Kerry’s Medals, But Actually Means Ribbons:

“Medals and other military mementos were flung…John Kerry of Waltham, Mass., a former Navy lieutenant and now a leader of the group, who became a national figure last week said before he threw his medals over the fence: ‘I’m not doing this for any violent reasons, but for peace justice, and to try to make this country wake up once and for all.’ ” [boston Globe, 4/24/71]

2004: "Never Any Confusion" from Reporter Who Covered Kerry in 1971:

“Thomas Oliphant, who was reporting on the event the event that day for the Boston Globe, recalled that Kerry reached over the fence to place his own service ribbons as well as medals he had received from other veterans. ‘I never had any confusion about what he did,’ said Oliphant, now a Boston Globe columnist, ‘that he had kept his Silver Star, Purple Hearts and Bronze Star.’ ” [John F. Kerry: The Complete Biography by the Boston Globe Reporters Who Know Him Best, pps 127-128; 2004]

RIGHTWING FICTION: It was dishonorable for John Kerry to give back the military ribbons he had been awarded.

FACT: Quite the opposite. John Kerry returned his ribbons as a symbolic gesture to make the point that the Vietnam war had to end. It was an emotional and dramatic way of waking up the country and preventing more young American men from dying. Thousands of veterans participated in the ceremony, and photographs of the Capitol steps show that medals, ribbons, other insignia, and discharge papers were thrown. Kerry also returned the medals of a WWII veteran and a Vietnam veteran who asked Kerry to return their medals. The Nixon Administration made John Kerry one of its targets and Kerry's rightwing foes have been smearing his name and his service ever since. [Tour of Duty, Douglas Brinkley]

Read more D-Bunker items about John Kerry's medals.

Posted in Vietnam War Protests | Entry link

By Peter Daou on March 6, 2004 at 10:15 AM

I could not get the link to work but here is one of the news bits I was talking about.....

Politics - AFP

Bush attacks Kerry's foreign "mystery men"

AFP to My Yahoo!

AFP Photo

Reuters

Slideshow: Elections

Kerry said in March that decision-makers from abroad told him privately they hoped he will defeat the president in the November 2 election, but he has refused to identify them.

"He claims to have picked up some important endorsements from foreign leaders," Bush said. "Whoever these mystery men are, they will not be deciding this election."

"I'm here to ask for the endorsement, not of foreign leaders, but of the American people," he told cheering supporters here during a two-day tour through vote-rich Michigan and Ohio.

The Massachusetts senator defended his remarks after it was reported in April that he had not travelled on official business abroad in two years by suggesting that he met with them in New York.

"I've got a hunch this whole thing might be a case of mistaken identity," Bush said here. "Just because somebody has an accent or a nice suit or a good table in New York City doesn't make them a foreign leader."

man, that's old news. I thought you meant something was current and happening in the past month or so.

edit: my bad. Bush did bring that up again today.

Originally posted by Destino

I never said all right wingers are like that, but idiots who want the Dixie Chicks tried for treason get no respect from me. I stand by that statement.

As for my true color, it's Blue.

Who wants them tried for treason? All I said was they should have waited to run their mouth in another country while our boys are fighting. That was just wrong and I think everyone let them know it.

Originally posted by Destino

Who wants to silence anyone? Of course it's okay. No one has ever tried to stop right wingers from making fools of themselves, hell we on the left enjoy it.

"Them thar Dixie Chicks are traitors! I say we send them to Mex-E-Co to be with the other commies! Yeehaw!"

Glad to see we agree Kilmer.

Destino your bigotry is on display for all to see. It's the self annointed, elitists and self-righteous like you that is what many despise about the left.

Originally posted by Bufford 3.0

man, that's old news. I thought you meant something was current and happening in the past month or so.

edit: my bad. Bush did bring that up again today.

LOL, how did I know you would say that. I guess the fact that its old is ok to let it go. Watch the news its a growing story and current I might add. Please just because it aired a while ago and is still standing in the news tells me people are not letting go of it.

By the way more links to follow.............

Here is another news story about Kerry.... you wanted the news , well here it is...

Vietnam War Protests

Throwing Vietnam Medals

UPDATED 4.26.04

RIGHTWING FICTION: John Kerry lied about throwing his medals during a Vietnam War protest.

FACT: The day after John Kerry gave his famous speech before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on April 22 of 1971 where he asked the committee "How do you ask a man to be the last man to die in Vietnam?" and "How do you ask a man to die for a mistake?," the VVAW made its final planned public act of the demonstration by organizing a medal returning ceremony. A wood and wire fence was erected around the Capitol, and thousands of veterans then lined up to return to the government their medals, ribbons, discharge papers, and uniforms by throwing these items over the fence. Many veterans made a statement before returning the military paraphernalia and the protest took hours because of the long line of protestors returning their medals. The veterans who could not attend the event in DC had surrogates throw the medals on their behalf. John Kerry threw back combat ribbons representing awards he won in Vietnam. He also returned the medals of two veterans who could not attend the event.

John Kerry is proud of the work he did to end the Vietnam War. He returned his ribbons as a symbolic gesture to make the point that the Vietnam war had to end. For John Kerry, the symbolism of medals and ribbons is interchangeable: "We all referred to them as the symbols they were representing," he told "Good Morning America" on ABC. The point was to end the Vietnam war and to keep more young American men from dying because of President Nixon's failed policies. At the time, Kerry said, "I am not doing this for any violent reasons, but for peace and justice, and to try to make this country wake up once and for all." [Tour of Duty, Douglas Brinkley]

1971: Oliphant Writes About Kerry’s Medals, But Actually Means Ribbons:

“Medals and other military mementos were flung…John Kerry of Waltham, Mass., a former Navy lieutenant and now a leader of the group, who became a national figure last week said before he threw his medals over the fence: ‘I’m not doing this for any violent reasons, but for peace justice, and to try to make this country wake up once and for all.’ ” [boston Globe, 4/24/71]

2004: "Never Any Confusion" from Reporter Who Covered Kerry in 1971:

“Thomas Oliphant, who was reporting on the event the event that day for the Boston Globe, recalled that Kerry reached over the fence to place his own service ribbons as well as medals he had received from other veterans. ‘I never had any confusion about what he did,’ said Oliphant, now a Boston Globe columnist, ‘that he had kept his Silver Star, Purple Hearts and Bronze Star.’ ” [John F. Kerry: The Complete Biography by the Boston Globe Reporters Who Know Him Best, pps 127-128; 2004]

RIGHTWING FICTION: It was dishonorable for John Kerry to give back the military ribbons he had been awarded.

FACT: Quite the opposite. John Kerry returned his ribbons as a symbolic gesture to make the point that the Vietnam war had to end. It was an emotional and dramatic way of waking up the country and preventing more young American men from dying. Thousands of veterans participated in the ceremony, and photographs of the Capitol steps show that medals, ribbons, other insignia, and discharge papers were thrown. Kerry also returned the medals of a WWII veteran and a Vietnam veteran who asked Kerry to return their medals. The Nixon Administration made John Kerry one of its targets and Kerry's rightwing foes have been smearing his name and his service ever since. [Tour of Duty, Douglas Brinkley]

Read more D-Bunker items about John Kerry's medals.

Posted in Vietnam War Protests | Entry link

By Peter Daou on March 6, 2004 at 10:15 AM

This is good. Did you read it? :laugh:

Here is another from Mr. Kerry..............

Poll Finds Kerry's Image Took Beating

Tuesday May 4, 2004 8:16 PM

By WILL LESTER

Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - Democrat John Kerry's image has taken a beating with the public in the last month after more than $60 million worth of advertising by President Bush's re-election campaign and a steady barrage of Republican criticism.

A poll released Tuesday found that Americans were slightly more likely to say they hold a favorable view of Kerry, 38 percent, than an unfavorable view, 33 percent. In mid-March, 40 percent had a favorable view and 24 percent had an unfavorable view of Kerry, according to the University of Pennsylvania's National Annenberg Election Survey.

In 18 battleground states, people were almost evenly split on Kerry, with 36 percent viewing him unfavorably and 35 percent viewing him favorably - down from 41 percent favorable and 28 percent unfavorable in mid-March.

The likely Democratic presidential nominee launched a $25 million ad campaign Monday in swing states to focus on his personal life - from Yale to Vietnam to the U.S. Senate.

An encouraging note for Kerry in the poll: People who are undecided or could change their position have not changed their overall views on the Democrat.

Among those swing voters nationwide, 38 percent have a favorable view of Kerry and 18 percent an unfavorable opinion. In mid-March, 37 percent had a favorable view and 15 percent had an unfavorable view. Kerry lost popularity with conservatives, Republicans, Hispanics and independents.

Bush's popularity overall was unchanged, with 51 percent saying they had a favorable view and 37 percent an unfavorable view. Among persuadable voters, Bush dipped to 47 percent favorable from 58 percent favorable in mid-March, and the number who view him negatively climbed from 23 percent to 34 percent.

In the last month, people were significantly more likely to say Kerry changes his mind for political reasons, and to a lesser extent that he ``says one thing, and does another.'' That has been a central theme of the Bush ad campaign.

The polling of 2,759 adults taken from April 15 through May 2 has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 2 percentage points.

^---

Kerry and Bush are locked in a close contest in New Hampshire, according to a poll released Tuesday in the swing state.

Kerry was at 49 percent and Bush at 45 percent with the remainder supporting another candidate or undecided, according to the University of New Hampshire's Granite State Poll.

Just after Kerry won the New Hampshire primary, the Democrat was at 53 percent and Bush at 39 percent in February.

Bush does well among Republicans and Kerry does well among Democrats, but Kerry is leading among independents by almost a 2-1 margin. Registered Republicans outnumber registered Democrats in New Hampshire by 11 percentage points.

The poll of 484 likely voters was taken April 19-26 and has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.

^---

On the Net:

Annenberg Survey Web site: http://www.naes04.org

University of New Hampshire: http://www.unh.edu/survey-center

I will stop here with the news stories, honest there is far to much to post in here. Kerry on one hand stands for the rights of gays and then when he goes to church he acts as if he doesnt stand for their rights. There are far to many issues where he talks out of both sides of his mouth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ELECTION 2004

Kerry 'loose cannon' says ex-commander

Vets line up to describe former colleague as 'vain' opportunist unfit for presidency

Posted: May 4, 2004

4:15 p.m. Eastern

© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

During his time in the Vietnam war, John Kerry was seen by colleagues as a self-serving, "loose canon" who came only to launch a political career, said the commander over his swift boat division, who spoke at a press conference in Washington with 17 other veterans.

Retired Rear Adm. Roy Hoffmann, who headed Coastal Division 11, is one of more than 200 veterans who have signed a letter asking Kerry to authorize the Department of the Navy to release all of his military records, including health documents.

Hoffman said Kerry "arrived in country with a strong anti-Vietnam War bias and a self-serving determination to build a foundation for his political future."

"He was aggressive, but vain and prone to impulsive judgment, often with disregard to specific tactical assignments," Hoffman said. "He was a loose cannon."

The press conference and letter was organized by the group Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, which contends the Massachusetts senator and presumptive Democratic presidential nominee is unfit to be commander in chief.

The group's spokesman, John O'Neill, who took over as commander of Kerry's swift boat not long after the senator was given an early dismissal, told reporters Kerry recently had been on the phone with Hoffman for 45 minutes, trying to discourage the group from going forward.

O'Neill wrote in a Wall Street Journal editorial today that he could not remain silent as Kerry sought the nation's highest office.

Kerry served about four months of a 12-month tour of duty in Vietnam, winning the Silver Star and Bronze Star. After receiving three Purple Hearts, he requested and received reassignment to the United States, which is allowed under Navy regulations.

But O'Neill said in an interview on the Tony Snow radio show today, he and his colleagues were perplexed at the time by Kerry's early departure.

"No one could actually figure out why he left," O'Neill told Snow. "He went through swift boat school before me. No one had any idea why he left."

O'Neill, now a Houston lawyer, appeared in 1971 on "The Dick Cavett Show" in a debate with Kerry, who then was national spokesman for the group Vietnam Veterans Against the War.

The key issue then, as now, O'Neill said, is Kerry's claim American troops were committing war crimes in Vietnam "on a day-to-day basis with the full awareness of officers at all levels of command."

"Despite our shared experience," O'Neill wrote, "I still believe what I believed 33 years ago – that John Kerry slandered America's military by inventing or repeating grossly exaggerated claims of atrocities and war crimes in order to advance his own political career as an antiwar activist."

"His misrepresentations played a significant role in creating the negative and false image of Vietnam vets that has persisted for over three decades," he said.

O'Neill asserted, "Neither I, nor any man I served with, ever committed any atrocity or war crime in Vietnam. The opposite was the truth. Rather than use excessive force, we suffered casualty after casualty because we chose to refrain from firing rather than risk injuring civilians."

More than once, he said, "I saw friends die in areas we entered with loudspeakers rather than guns."

"John Kerry's accusations then and now were an injustice that struck at the soul of anyone who served there," O'Neill declared.

'Bugged out of Vietnam'

At the press conference today, Hoffman said Kerry, in his "abbreviated tour" of four months and 12 days, "and with his specious medals secure … bugged out of Vietnam and began his infamous betrayal of all United States forces in the Vietnam War."

Kerry's campaign responded to the allegations with a press conference of its own, featuring four veterans.

Spokesman, Michael Meehan insisted the U.S. Navy has released Kerry's entire record, at the senator's request, which now is posted at JohnKerry.com.

However, retired Lt. Cmdr. Grant Hibbard told reporters today at least one of the three Purple Hearts awarded to Kerry did not appear warranted.

"He showed me a scratch on his arm and a piece of shrapnel in his hand that appeared to be from one of our own M-79s," Hibbard said. "He later received a Purple Heart for that scratch, and I have no information as to how or whom."

Kerry's behavior was sharply criticized by a commanding officer who supervised him in several naval operations.

"Kerry would be described as devious, self-absorbing, manipulative, disdain for authority, disruptive," said retired Capt. Charley Plumly, "but the most common phrase you would hear [was] 'requires constant supervision.'"

O'Neill noted that during his 1971 televised debate with Kerry, he accused him of lying and urged him to come forward with affidavits from the soldiers who claimed to have committed or witnessed atrocities.

"To date no such affidavits have been filed," O'Neill said, noting Kerry recently "has attempted to reframe his comments as youthful or 'over the top.'"

"Yet always there has been a calculated coolness to the way he has sought to destroy the record of our honorable service in the interest of promoting his political ambitions of the moment," O'Neill said.

O'Neill said what happened in Vietnam more than 30 years ago matters because loyalty in the military is "indispensable."

"How can a man be commander in chief who for over 30 years has accused his 'Band of Brothers,' as well as himself, of being war criminals?" he asked. "On a practical basis, John Kerry's breach of loyalty is a prescription of disaster for our armed forces."

Pointing out he has refused since 1971 many offers by Kerry's political opponents to speak out, he claimed his "reluctance to become involved once again in politics is outweighed now by my profound conviction that John Kerry is simply not fit to be America's commander in chief."

"Nobody has recruited me to come forward," he said. "My decision is the inevitable result of my own personal beliefs and life experience."

Kerry is most definitely a war hero; you don't get those medals for simply showing up. He's also a terrible politician -- every time he opens his mouth about this ridiculous controversy (medals or ribbons -- I mean, who gives a ****?) he sounds like a far less charismatic version of Slick Willy. And I have to give the Bush administration points for having an absolute huge set of balls -- aside from Powell, none of them even came close to serving, and yet they still criticize Kerry, a guy who actually got shot in the Nam. Talk about cajones.

Originally posted by Hooper

Kerry is most definitely a war hero; you don't get those medals for simply showing up. He's also a terrible politician -- every time he opens his mouth about this ridiculous controversy (medals or ribbons -- I mean, who gives a ****?) he sounds like a far less charismatic version of Slick Willy. And I have to give the Bush administration points for having an absolute huge set of balls -- aside from Powell, none of them even came close to serving, and yet they still criticize Kerry, a guy who actually got shot in the Nam. Talk about cajones.

I agree with your post, he did earn his metals. What I have a problem with is what he did with them while our boys were dieing. The fact that he launched his metals on the White House lawn is not even the real issue here because that is his right as an American. The problem I am having a man that would do this has the ba*** to think he has the character to run this country. He isn't even close to being half the man Bush is. By the way Powell would have my vote if he would run for office, he is a great man. But he will never run so the best thing at the present time is Bush................

Archived