Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DeAngelo Hall....The next Darrell??

skin_finatic

Thats who kiper is comparing him to because of his 4.1-4.2 speed and great vertical leap....

WOW, he's comparing him to the greatest corner who has ever played the game.

I could see him being a top five corner in the league, but never becoming one of the greatest corners of all time.

He WILL not be as good as DG, and I do not think he will even be a good corner. He got destroyed all year last year at Tech. He runs his mouth, has a bad attitude, and is pretty much overated. He has great athletic ability, but at best he will be a good nickle back in the NFL. There is no reason to spend a 1st rounder on a nickle. Just my opinion

Originally posted by Bazooka Tooth

He WILL not be as good as DG, and I do not think he will even be a good corner. He got destroyed all year last year at Tech. He runs his mouth, has a bad attitude, and is pretty much overated. He has great athletic ability, but at best he will be a good nickle back in the NFL. There is no reason to spend a 1st rounder on a nickle. Just my opinion

uhhh.... who did he get burned by....I watched every va. tech game and i never seen him get burnt...well not last year anyways. va. tech lost all of their games because they couldnt defend the run.. not giving up big pass plays.

Ditto.

he may be a good corner, but i keep hearing hes overrated. He can never become Darrell. Hall may have speed, but he also needs to have a good mind and work ethic, which I doubt many players compare to Green in having that now.

Time will tell. I didn't watch DG in college, so I can't comment on comparing the two during those parts of thier career.

I would say anything is possible, but 4.1 speed? C'man hall ran a 4.3 at the combine.... Why does Vtech always inflate the numbers? haha, they also said Jones runs a 4.25 :laugh:

Originally posted by skin_finatic

:doh:

Agreed. It's way too early to be talking jibberish like that. Hall is a good athlete with lots of promise but a far cry from DG or Deion. Guess we'll have to see. Only defensive player whom I think is a SURE thing to live up to his comparisons is Taylor. Then again the only sure things in life are death and taxes.:silly:

After Andre Johnson torched him for 200+ yards in 2002, I've never thought he was all that. I kept waiting for him to wow me, and he did on ST's, but never as a cover corner. I think he will be alright, but not a Champ Bailey or Charles Woodson, let alone a DG.

Nobody has come close to Darrell Green in terms of speed save for Deion Sanders and Joey Galloway who both ran 4.2 in the Indy combines coming out of college. However, Darrells recovery speed was unmatched by anyone...try 10.06 in the 100 meters. I got a good laugh when someone said Portis is a blazer because he ran the 100 meters in college in 10.6 seconds. The only faster athlete EVER maybe than Darrell Green was Bob Hayes who played for the Cowboys. All other comparisons with speed are absolutely ludicrous. In Darrells prime he was a speed demon. To borrow a phrase from Bugel he was faster than a speeding bullet.

I want some of the stuff Kiper has been smoking. It must be really good stuff.

Originally posted by GrapeApe

After Andre Johnson torched him for 200+ yards in 2002, I've never thought he was all that. I kept waiting for him to wow me, and he did on ST's, but never as a cover corner. I think he will be alright, but not a Champ Bailey or Charles Woodson, let alone a DG.

2002 and 2003 are 2 different seasons... and last year he was the best corner in college football.. I don't know what yall define by being "burned"which he wasn't, (I watch all his games cuz i'm a va tech fan.)

Basically when i watched the tech games, the highlights were basically hall, kevin jones, and marcus vick had a couple of moments.

But next Darrell Green....NO WAY IN HELL.

uhhh.... who did he get burned by....I watched every va. tech game and i never seen him get burnt...well not last year anyways. va. tech lost all of their games because they couldnt defend the run.. not giving up big pass plays.

Andre Johson

Larry Fitzgerald

Chris Henry

He goes for the big play, and misses out a lot of the time. Great punt returner and special teamer, but has a mouth, and a horrible attitude. Hello MeAngelo Hall

Andre Johson

Larry Fitzgerald

Chris Henry

He goes for the big play, and misses out a lot of the time. Great punt returner and special teamer, but has a mouth, and a horrible attitude. Hello MeAngelo Hall

andre johnson was in the nfl this year.

hall did a very good job on fitzgerald... the stats look good for fitzgerald becuase hall didnt play the first half for some bs suspension.

Who;s Chris Henry??

Lets put this thread to bed.....ahhh Hall has a lot of work to do!

Green is legendary at Texas A&I, where he was named to the Football Coaches All-American Division II team with 56 tackles and four INTs in 1982. He was the Lone Star Conference Defensive Player of the Year. He had 76- and 96-yard punt returns for TDs as a senior. Also a legend on the track, his 10.08, 100-meter time was second behind Carl Lewis as a senior. Green was all-state in track and all-city in football at Jones High School in Houston. He has won the “NFL Fastest Man” competition four times over such notable track stars as Willie Gault, Ron Brown and Herschel Walker. Green earned the title of World’s Fastest Athlete” in 1991.

Holds NFL record with at least one interception in 19 straight seasons.

• Tied with Jim Marshall for second on NFL all-time list for most seasons with one team (19); 19 seasons is a Redskins record.

• Owns Redskins regular season INT record (54), and has five more in playoffs; mark of 54 is third among active INT leaders.

• Holds Redskins record for most regular-season games played (279) and started (254).

• Has returned six (including one in postseason) INTs for TDs, a Redskins record.

• Oldest CB ever to play in the NFL and oldest to return an INT for a TD at 37.

• Has earned seven trips to Pro Bowl (1984, 1986, 1987, 1990, 1991, 1996, 1997), trailing Chris Hanburger (nine) and Charley Taylor (eight) in appearances by a Redskins player.

• Named NFC Defensive Player of the Week five times.

• Named NFL Man of the Year and awarded the Bart Starr and Ken Houston Humanitarian Awards in 1996.

• Returned an INT 83 yards for a TD vs. Eagles (12/21/97), the longest return of his career. It was the fourth-straight season he returned an INT for a score.

• Jarred the ball from Minnesota’s Darrin Nelson on a fourth-down pass at the goal line late in the NFC Championship (1/17/88), securing the Redskins 17-10 victory.

• Returned a punt 52 yards for a TD vs. the Bears in an NFC Divisional Playoff game (1/10/88), helping the Redskins advance to the NFC Championship.

• Returned a fumble 78 yards for a score vs. the Colts (10/7/93), the longest such return in Redskins history.

• Has career-high five INTs in three different seasons: 1984, 1986, 1991.

• Set career-highs of three INTs vs. Detroit (11/15/87) and twelve tackles vs. Detroit (10/22/95). How Acquired: Drafted by Washington in first round of 1983 (28th overall).

2001 Season: “Mr. Redskin” showed no signs of slowing down at age 41. With his 19th season as a Redskin, he moves into a tie for second all-time with Jim Marshall for the most seasons with one team. He played in all 16 games and started four. In addition to his unparalleled talent on the field, Green is a strong leader for the team. Many teammates credit him with helping to turn the season around when he gave the team some much needed encouragement during a team meeting the night before the 10/21 Carolina game. The next day the team beat the Panthers 17-14 and went on to win their next four games and became the first team in NFL history to win five straight after losing their first five contests. He played in a reserve role for the first five weeks of the season, playing back-up to rookie cornerback Fred Smoot and coming in primarily on nickel situations. He saw significant playing time in Week 5 at Dallas (10/15), when Smoot went down with a knee injury. The next week vs. Carolina (10/21), he made his 251st start of his career, in place of the injured Smoot and led the Redskins in tackles with seven and one pass deflection. He started the next two games vs. NYG (10/28) and vs. Seattle (11/4) before returning to a reserve role to make way for a healthy Smoot. He made a key fourth-down play at Philadelphia (11/25) when he broke up quarterback Donovan McNabb’s pass, giving the ball back to the Skins to run the clock down and beat the Eagles 13-3. In the next match-up against Philadelphia (12/16), Green intercepted a McNabb pass and extended his all-time NFL record to 19 consecutive seasons with at least one interception. He pressured Saints quarterback Aaron Brooks, forcing an interception by Dan Wilkinson at New Orleans (12/30) in Week 16. Green started in the season finale vs. Arizona and recorded two tackles. He finished the season with 35 tackles (32 solo), seven pass deflections and one interception.

back to the top

Pro Career - 2000: Green played in his 18th season in Washington, tying him for third all-time with Jim Hart, Jeff Van Note, Pat Leahy and Bruce Matthews for most seasons with one team. He intercepted three passes, increasing his

NFL record, with at least one INT in 18 straight seasons. He has 53 INTs and is tied for third with Eric Allen among active INT leaders. He holds the Redskins INT record (53) and has six more in the playoffs. He has picked off 41 different QBs. Green played in 13 games and started two, increasing his Redskins record for most regular-season games played (263) and started (250). He also made 23 tackles (20 solo), added ten passes defensed and forced two fumbles. He posted three special teams tackles. Green backed up Deion Sanders most of the season at right CB. He didn’t start on opening day vs. Carolina, breaking his streak of 119 straight games started, including playoffs. In Week 4 vs. TB, he intercepted a Shaun King pass in the first quarter and recovered a Keyshawn Johnson fumble in the fourth in Bucs territory, leading to a Skins TD and a 20-17 win. Green was clutch again the next week at the Eagles. With :36 left and the score tied at 14, he picked off a Donovan McNabb pass and returned it 33 yards. The play set up Michael Husted’s 24-yard FG that accounted for the Skins 17-14 win. Green strained a calf muscle in the first quarter vs. Baltimore in Week 7 and didn’t return. He was inactive for the next three games but returned to make his first start in Week 11 on Monday night at the Rams, who opened with four WRs. He made a season-high five tackles (four solo) and defensed one pass. He made his 250th career start in Week 12 vs. Philadelphia. In the season-finale vs. Arizona, he intercepted his third pass of the season and made four solo tackles.

back to the top

1999: Green played in his 17th season for the Redskins, establishing himself as the leader in franchise longevity. He surpassed 16-year Redskins Sammy Baugh and Monte Coleman. He started all 16 regular season games at right CB and intercepted three passes to set an NFL record for INTs in consecutive seasons (17). By the end of the playoffs, he’d started in 119 straight games and 265 of 267 games in his career, including 17 postseason starts. On the season, Green tallied 76 tackles (sixth on the team), 15 passes defensed and one fumble recovery. He posted seven special teams tackles. He made seven tackles vs. Dallas (six solo) on opening day. Two weeks later vs. NYJ, he intercepted a pass. He also totaled five tackles and two passes defensed in that game, earning a game ball. In Week 11 vs. NYG, Green caused an INT, intercepted his 49th pass and posted three solo tackles, two assists and one pass defensed. He received another game ball after the Redskins beat Arizona in Week 14. He made his 50th career INT, two solo tackles and one assist. Showing no signs of slowing down, he made nine solo tackles in Week 16 at SF. He made four tackles in the Wild Card Playoff vs. Detroit and intercepted a pass in the Divisional Playoff at TB.

back to the top

1998: Green was named a second alternate to the NFC Pro Bowl team after recording three INTs, 87 tackles and a team-high 22 passes defensed. The speedster also saved TDs by chasing down some of the NFL’s fastest men, including Jerry Rice, Napoleon Kaufman and Frank Sanders. In Week 2 vs. SF, Green made eight stops, including a TD-saving tackle from across the field on Rice. He kept dangerous Vikings rookie WR Randy Moss in check in Week 7. His first INT was in Week 12 at Oakland. He also made four solo tackles, deflected a pass that Shawn Barber intercepted and used his speed to catch Kaufman from behind. He was named NFC Defensive Player of the Week. His INT in Week 14 vs. the Panthers ended their final drive and preserved a Redskin victory. A week later, he intercepted a Trent Dilfer pass with 1:04 left that secured the Skins’ 20-16 win over TB.

back to the top

1997: Green went to the Pro Bowl for the seventh time in his 15th NFL season. He passed Monte Coleman in most games played for the Redskins (217) in Week 15 at NYG. In the season-finale vs. the Eagles, he intercepted a Bobby Hoying pass and returned it a career-high 83 yards for a TD. That play helped Green earn NFC Defensive Player of the Week honors for the fourth time in his career. In December, he received the “The USA Today 5th Annual Most Caring Athlete Award” for his community work, which includes his creation of the Darrell Green Youth Life Foundation and Learning Center.

back to the top

1996: Green had one of his best seasons and earned his sixth trip to the Pro Bowl. He intercepted three passes and made 78 tackles (52 solo, three-for-loss). He started all 16 games, playing 1,141 of the team’s 1,181 defensive snaps (96 percent).

back to the top

1995: Green had one of the best games of his career vs. Detroit in Week 8. He intercepted three passes, returning one seven yards in OT for the game-winning TD, and made a season-high 12 tackles.

back to the top

1994: Green led the Redskins with 20 passes defensed. His season highlight was in Week 7 vs. the Cardinals when he had two INTs, including a 27-yarder he returned for a TD. The INTs were the 36th and 37th of his career, as he passed Brig Owens as the Redskins all-time leader.

back to the top

1993: Green made 90 tackles, the most since his rookie year. He led the team with 13 passes defensed and was second with four INTs. He recovered a fumble in Week 12 vs. the Colts and ran 78 yards for a TD, the longest such play in Redskins history. He was the only NFC player with two INTs in a game, picking off a pair vs. the Eagles in Week 3 and at TB in Week 12.

back to the top

1992: Green broke his right forearm in Week 2 vs. Atlanta. He missed Weeks 3-10 due to the injury. He returned and crafted his top performance in Week 14 vs. Dallas: nine tackles, three passes defensed and a key forced fumble on WR Michael Irvin in the fourth quarter. He missed the Skins first-round playoff win over Minnesota with a bruised heel but saw action the next week in a Divisional Playoff at SF. He didn’t make the Pro Bowl for the first time since 1989.

back to the top

1991: Green went to his fifth Pro Bowl and his second straight as a starter, and was a unanimous All-Pro. He tied for the team lead with five INTs, his best mark since 1986, and posted a team-high 21 passes defensed. He intercepted two passes vs. both Detroit in Week 1 and Philadelphia in Week 5. His pivotal INT in OT vs. Houston in Week 9 led to the Skins game-winning FG. He was again superb in the playoffs with two INTs. He made a season-high ten tackles vs. Dallas in Week 12.

back to the top

1990: Green earned his fourth Pro Bowl appearance. He was a First-Teamer on the All-NFC team for UPI, Football News and Pro Football Weekly; and a Second-Team All-NFL choice by AP. He began the year with INTs in the first three games, a career first. In Week 3 vs. Dallas, he had seven tackles and two passes defensed and capped the Skins win with an 18-yard INT return for a TD. He made a season-best ten tackles and intercepted a pass vs. SF. He also had INTs vs. Phoenix and New Orleans to finish with four. He had an INT in the Skins playoff win over Philadelphia.

back to the top

1989: Green had two first-quarter INTs vs. the Cardinals in Week 5. But he fractured a wrist in Week 7 vs. TB and was lost for the season. Despite missing the final nine games, he was third on the team with five passes defensed.

back to the top

1988: Green led the Redskins in passes defensed (14) and made some timely punt returns. His 13- and 18-yard returns vs. the Steelers in Week 2 helped set up a FG and TD in the Skins 30-29 victory. He also made a 32-yard return vs. NYG. He broke a hand in the first quarter of Week 15 vs. Dallas and left the game, after which the Cowboys threw three TD passes to beat the Redskins, 24-17.

back to the top

1987: Green made one of the most memorable plays in Redskins history in the NFC Championship game. He applied a last-second hit at the goal line on Vikings RB Darrin Nelson on a fourth-down play, jarring the ball loose and securing the Redskins 17-10 victory. Green played despite tearing rib cartilage the week before in a first-round playoff game. The injury occurred when he was returning a punt 52 yards for a TD in the Redskins 21-17 win over the Bears. His regular-season highlight was a career-high three INTs in Week 10 vs. Detroit. The last one was on the Lions final possession and preserved a 20-13 Skins victory. Green went to the Pro Bowl for the third time.

back to the top

1986: Green earned his second Pro Bowl trip. In Week 2, his end zone INT with :30 left sealed a 10-6 win vs. the Raiders. A bruised shoulder in Week 12 vs. Dallas forced him from the starting lineup for the first time in his career. In the playoffs, he intercepted a pass to set up a go-ahead TD in a 27-13 second-round upset of the Bears. He intercepted five passes and forced two fumbles overall.

back to the top

1985: Green posted a 13.4 average on 16 punt returns, the highest such figure by a Redskins player since Eddie Brown’s 13.5 in 1976. He achieved that average though his punt returns of 99 and 73 yards were nullified. He also intercepted two passes.

back to the top

1984: Green intercepted a career-high five passes and earned a starting Pro Bowl spot. He had 87 tackles and a team-high 14 deflections. He also had a dramatic performance that cemented his all-star selection. With the Skins trailing Dallas 21-6 at halftime in Week 15, he returned an INT 32 yards for a TD. He later stopped a Cowboys drive with an end zone INT, and the Skins rallied for a 30-28 victory.

back to the top

1983: Green set the tone for his NFL career the first time he touched the football with a 61-yard punt return in a preseason game vs. Atlanta. A contract dispute with Jeris White thrust him into the starting lineup on opening day vs. the Cowboys, and Green showed his speed by chasing down Tony Dorsett on a long run. He finished No. 4 on the team in overall tackles (109) and first in solo stops (79). He earned a runner-up spot as AP NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year and was named to the Football Digest and AP All-Rookie teams. He returned an INT 72 yards for a TD in the Redskins 51-7 NFC playoff win over the Rams.

back to the top

1st of all Hall ran the 4.15 on an indoor track surface not grass.

2nd of all Kevin Jones gained 20lbs of muscle before is workout so of course his time will be slower. If you are gonna post, at least know everything before and not be ignorant about it. Especially the circumstances of Hall's 40 time. Everyone say's how Va tech's 40 times are made up. Most schools do this anyway. And besides, NO ONE runs the same 40 every time they run. It will always be an inconsistent number.

I watched 18 games the last 2 yrs of va tech. And I dont know what you guys have been watching. Hall has been rarely beat. Occasionally he has but hell what CB hasnt been beat? Your former precious Champ was beat once in a while and now he's not on your team half of you bad mouth him. Most teams rarely threw Hall's side of the field or they line the wide receiver up on the opposite side of the field so he's not covering em. He does have technique problems and yes he doesnt always make the play when its there but hes a good tackler and i think he has potential.

As for the Darrell Green comparison, it was just a comparison!!Dont get so riled up about it. It doesnt say he's going to be the next Darrell Green. I swear some of you get so offended by everything lil thing compared to or said about the Skins.

Originally posted by dissonance19

1st of all Hall ran the 4.15 on an indoor track surface not grass.

2nd of all Kevin Jones gained 20lbs of muscle before is workout so of course his time will be slower. If you are gonna post, at least know everything before and not be ignorant about it. Especially the circumstances of Hall's 40 time. Everyone say's how Va tech's 40 times are made up. Most schools do this anyway. And besides, NO ONE runs the same 40 every time they run. It will always be an inconsistent number.

I watched 18 games the last 2 yrs of va tech. And I dont know what you guys have been watching. Hall has been rarely beat. Occasionally he has but hell what CB hasnt been beat? Your former precious Champ was beat once in a while and now he's not on your team half of you bad mouth him. Most teams rarely threw Hall's side of the field or they line the wide receiver up on the opposite side of the field so he's not covering em. He does have technique problems and yes he doesnt always make the play when its there but hes a good tackler and i think has potential.

As for the Darrell Green comparison, it was just a comparison!!Dont get so riled up about it. It doesnt say he's going to be the next Darrell Green. I swear some of you get so offended by everything lil thing compared to or said about the Skins.

:applause:

andre johnson was in the nfl this year.

hall did a very good job on fitzgerald... the stats look good for fitzgerald becuase hall didnt play the first half for some bs suspension.

Who;s Chris Henry??

I understand that AJ was in the NFL, it is hard to not mention a 200+ yard game though. How was it a BS suspension? He got into a fight with the Miami bench because he is a F-cking headcase. Chris Henry is the deep threat WR for WVU. I just dont see this guy being a "lockdown" corner in the NFL. He was not able to "dominate" in college, so how is he going to do it in the NFL? You are showing a bit of a bias for the kid due to the fact that you are a tech fan. I have a lot of friends who went to tech, and even they can admit that he is a bit overated.

I understand that AJ was in the NFL, it is hard to not mention a 200+ yard game though. How was it a BS suspension? He got into a fight with the Miami bench because he is a F-cking headcase. Chris Henry is the deep threat WR for WVU. I just dont see this guy being a "lockdown" corner in the NFL. He was not able to "dominate" in college, so how is he going to do it in the NFL? You are showing a bit of a bias for the kid due to the fact that you are a tech fan. I have a lot of friends who went to tech, and even they can admit that he is a bit overated.

Did you even watch the Miami-Va tech game? I'm pretty sure Hall went to the sideline to help out a teammate who is getting into something with a Miami player. Miami were acting like babies that game. They knew they were going to lose that's why they started something with someone from tech. Hall also quieted down compared to the yr before. All this talk about Meangelo and stuff is a lil off cuz it's not as bad as ppl make it. And you say how they're being bias, well your dislike for Hall is showing your bias towards him.

Originally posted by dissonance19

Did you even watch the Miami-Va tech game? I'm pretty sure Hall went to the sideline to help out a teammate who is getting into something with a Miami player. Miami were acting like babies that game. They knew they were going to lose that's why. Hall also quieted down compared to the yr before. All this talk about Meangelo and stuff is a lil off cuz it's not as bad as ppl make it. And you say how they're being bias, well your dislike for Hall is showing your bias towards him.

exactly, I was at that game and saw tech give them an @$$ whoopin and hall was my mvp that game.

Archived