Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anybody use Vonage VOIP service?

Cskin

I'm considering a VOIP service for my business. These Caribbean calls are eating me alive. The international rates are terrific.... and calls in the US/Canda are free.

Just wondering what the reliability is with the Phone Adapter, how it blends with networking equipment such as Routers and firewalls.

Anybody......Anybody....... Vonage............ Anybody?

Vonage is obviosly a great company but talk to dave m. he should be able to help you out. If not consider ICG as well. Oh yeah there is always the prepaid route you pay for the local call and depending on the nation it averages about .07 per minute.

• 2 years later...
I'm considering a VOIP service for my business. These Caribbean calls are eating me alive. The international rates are terrific.... and calls in the US/Canda are free.

Just wondering what the reliability is with the Phone Adapter, how it blends with networking equipment such as Routers and firewalls.

Anybody......Anybody....... Vonage............ Anybody?

Not sure of you ever got this, or got any more info about it, but from what I have seen so far, it is the shizz. So far I see no effects with my other equiptment. My setup is modem, to wireless router, to Vonage modem, which goes to my phone system, and one computer. My other computers are still hooked by the router, and one by wireless. I also brodcast a bluetooth device to run other equiptment, and see no ill effects.

I live in the Nor Cal area, so weather does not effect my broadband ever, but I see how it could be a problem if you have broadband issues.

All in all I am quite happy with the service, and am saving $45 a month on my phone bill over an above any long distance I may have had otherwise also.

I just gained another trip to Fed Ex to see the Skins with my savings this year alone.

I rate this 5 out of 5 stars!

EDIT:

BTW if anyone is considering getting this, PM me, and I can get you some free months with a little certificate they gave me.

I've had it for 2 years now.

911 Dialing is NOT automatic. You must activate 911 Dialing for each number on your account. To activate 911 Dialing or Edit your 911 Dialing Address, click one of the links below.

That whole clicking the button and putting your phone number in there was horrible.

Cost at least a calorie.. So yes if you get an internet phone but never GO TO THE INTERNET to set it up... you wont have 911... I love it, get email alerts for phone calls and listen to them on my computer at work etc...

its 27$ including tax.... period (it wa 85$)

They provided me a cisco linksys router with it..

I've had Vonage for a couple years as well. I love it, and if the 911 thing bothers you, I think it is manditory that a house even that does not have phone service hooked up HAS to be able to dial 911. Not to mention from what I understand Vonage 911 service is one of the better ones for VoIP. As for International calls, Vonage has free to Canada, Puerto Rico, and now is going to be free to the UK, France, and a few other European countries. The checking of voicemail over the internet is nice, as well as some of the other perks.

The problem with the 911 service isn't whether you have it or not, its whether the 911 operator knows where you're calling from. Depending on where you live you might have to actually tell the operator your phone number and address. Thats not good.

Here's a blurb from their website

Customers in locations where the emergency center is not equipped to receive your telephone number and address have basic 911. With basic 911, the local emergency operator answering the call will not have your call back number or your exact location, so you must be prepared to give them this information. Until you give the operator your phone number, he/she may not be able to call you back or dispatch help if the call is not completed or is not forwarded, is dropped or disconnected, or if you are unable to speak.

http://www.vonage.com/features.php?feature=911&lid=footer_911

As the service becomes more popular this will become a non-issue, but I would definitely recommend finding out the capabilities of your call center before signing up. And if you do in fact live in a "basic" service area, just get a land line.

I've got it at home, and love it, mostly. The reception is fine, no effect on my computer, etc. The downside as someone alluded to above is the weather. Whenever my broadband slows down due to thunderstorms or even rain showers, the phone doesn't work near as well. I can hear the other person fine, but apparently they can't hear me well at all during those times.

I decided to switch over anyway at my business this week. But I called up our telephone provider and told them I wanted to cancel my service b/c we were going with Vonage, and they cut me a sweet deal. It cut my bill in half, which ain't bad. You may consider something like that first. :2cents:

my grandfather has it, and always went on and on about how great it was and how everyone should have it. then his service, and everyone else with it, lost use for almost a week, and the company blamed it on solar flares. he said losing service out of the clear blue for a day or so tends to happen at least once every couple of months.

my grandfather has it, and always went on and on about how great it was and how everyone should have it. then his service, and everyone else with it, lost use for almost a week, and the company blamed it on solar flares. he said losing service out of the clear blue for a day or so tends to happen at least once every couple of months.

must be his area. Only once did I lose service due to something beyond my control, and they put up a message on their website about it. They were doing maintenance. I lost service once due to my own computer shutting the router down, but that was it.

The problem with the 911 service isn't whether you have it or not, its whether the 911 operator knows where you're calling from. Depending on where you live you might have to actually tell the operator your phone number and address. Thats not good.

Here's a blurb from their website

http://www.vonage.com/features.php?feature=911&lid=footer_911

As the service becomes more popular this will become a non-issue, but I would definitely recommend finding out the capabilities of your call center before signing up. And if you do in fact live in a "basic" service area, just get a land line.

This is the issue I was talking about....I heard it was getting better b/c people have died and lawsuits have been filed....I just want to wait til it gets completely ironed out...I do think it sounds good though.

Most of our customers (other than WiFi and Softphone customers) have access to either basic 911 or Enhanced 911 (E911) service. With E911 service, when you dial 911.

If your WiFi or Softphone ie Laptop your still not talking about 99% of the phones are you? So yes, if you don't have a cell phone and live in remote Wyoming.. you may run into issues. I feel spoiled living in a suburb and all...

Archived