Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A question about DSL vs. Cable.........

TC4

I have a question about DSL access vs. cable access.

We have DSL right now via a local provider who gets it though Version, and my dad was looking into cable access through Adelphia, which just became avalable in our area back on November. My dad made the call to the cable people, but when he asked them about using a router with the modem since we have more that one computer, they told him that their modems did not support a router.

Now we have DirecTV, and get TV stations out of NYC. They show ads for Verison DSL that shows a guy calling ComCast cable and finding out that their monthly charge for cable access is for EACH COMPUTER!!!!

Now the funny thing is, my oldest brother, who lives just 20 miles away in North Carolina, has a different cable provider(Who's name escapes me at the moment), but he has just one cable modem and it is 3 or 4 computers running off of it.

Can anyone who has cable access or who just knows something that could be helpful give me more information?

Get digital telephone service through you cable provider and the rates are probably lower for cable internet since you are a customer.

I had to do that because I dropped cable TV when I got direct tv, so I have digital phone service through my cable company, which is actually cheaper than standard, and Cable internet.

Originally posted by codeorama

Get digital telephone service through you cable provider and the rates are probably lower for cable internet since you are a customer.

I had to do that because I dropped cable TV when I got direct tv, so I have digital phone service through my cable company, which is actually cheaper than standard, and Cable internet.

hmm that is not a bad plan, how much do you pay for digital phone?

My in-laws share a house with one of their daughters, actually two houses connected. They have Adelphia Cable access both TV and Internet and use a single wireless router for all computers, no matter which house.

I use Verizon DSL (bundled w/MSN) with a Broadband AOL account and like it. Living in a densely populated area with Cable access is not much of an improvement over DSL. And you pay more for the privilege.

You only need the one router for all your computers using either cable or DSL.

I would call your DSL provider and determine the distance from the CO. The farther you are from the central office will determine your download/upload speed. Cable does not have this limitation. With Cable, however, speed decreases when the number of users increases. With Cox, and I believe Comcast, I was seeing download speeds up to 3Mb/s in urban areas. Cable, however, is usually more expensive.

Since you have a choice, I would go with DSL if you are close to the CO and the price is better. From my personal experience, which is only at four different locations in my local area, approximately 10,000 feet and less seems to be the cut off point for the full 1.5MB/s access. Two of the other sites, 12,500 and 15,000 or so download at 762KB/s.

Lots of decisions.

Archived