Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bruce Smith

skinamatic

He is trying to grab a Super Bowl ring, since he went 4 times and lost 4 times. If I am not mistaken, the only game the Bills came close to winning was the Giants game. Didn't they get their butt kicked every game after that? Of course, we all know what happened in January of 92 to the Bills....hehe!

Yes, the Redskins softened up the Bills for the Pukes to roll over them two years in a row[/Quote]

Actually, I think it was the Giants who softened them up for the Redskins and Cowboys. That last second loss took a lot out of them and put doubt into their own heads. They were just too talented for the rest of the AFC to not make it back and back and back. :D

Bruce Smith was cut before March 1. He is no longer a Redskin and any decision he makes to play does not affect us. Arrington is our best pass rusher, he's just been in the wrong position on the strong side.

http://redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12559

Redskins Release Armstead, B. Smith

02/24/2004

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

The Redskins have released defensive end Bruce Smith and linebacker Jessie Armstead as the team sets out to rework a defensive unit that finished 25th in the NFL last season.

In addition, defensive tackle Lional Dalton and punter Bryan Barker have also been released, the team announced on Tuesday.

Smith announced near the end of last season that he would "most likely" retire after what will certainly be a Hall of Fame career. He reiterated those comments last week in an interview on the NFL Network.

Smith, 40, signed with the Redskins in 2000 after 15 years and four Super Bowl appearances with the Buffalo Bills. In four seasons with the Redskins, he started 54 games and registered 29 sacks.

Last year, Smith broke Reggie White's all-time sack record when he sacked New York Giants' quarterback Jesse Palmer on Dec. 7. It was Smith's 199th career sack. Two weeks later, he sacked Chicago's Rex Grossman for his 200th career sack.

The release of Smith and Armstead also signifies the team's intention to get younger on defense, something that Gregg Williams, assistant head coach for the defense, mentioned during a media session two weeks ago.

Armstead, 33, played two seasons with the Redskins after nine years with the New York Giants. The five-time Pro Bowler had a solid year in 2003, recording 99 tackles, a team-high 6.5 sacks and a forced fumble.

Barker, 39, played the last three seasons with the Redskins. Last year, he averaged 40.2 yards per punt and became the 13th punter in NFL history to record 1,000 career punts.

Earlier in the offseason, the Redskins signed a pair of young punters in David Leaverton and Kevin Stemke to compete for next season's punting job. Other punters still may be brought in to compete for the job.

Dalton came to Washington last August as part of a trade with the Denver Broncos. He ended up starting nine games and recording 17 tackles and one sack.

Dude, first of all we cut him already and no one cares about that sorry loser bruce smith. Im sick of talking about him. enough already. He will never be a redskins and never shouldve been a redskins. Him and his sorry ass meaningless sack record can get the hell out of DC. Gibbs wouldve never picked up a player like bruce smith who cared about getting more downs at the age of 50 just so he can get his meaningless sack record that took forever to reach while white did it 5 or 6 yrs less than he did.

I thought he was a great pick up in 2000 ... albeit a little pricy. He put up 10 sacks that year and was clearly the best pass rusher we had on the team. He was so effective that year that he elevated the play of Marco Coleman. Since then, his play has declined with age and last year was rediculous in terms of his me me me attitude. But the decision to bring him on board originally was not a bad one.

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

Actually, I think it was the Giants who softened them up for the Redskins and Cowboys. That last second loss took a lot out of them and put doubt into their own heads. They were just too talented for the rest of the AFC to not make it back and back and back. :D

Awww, come on Tom. You know that is was Scotty Norwood that gave the Gints that ring on a platter. :shot: :shot:

Archived