Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A question for computer techies about Windows XP and saving pictures off of websites

TC4

I need help from anyone who knows about Windows XP and saving pictures from websites and pages on the Internet

Whenever I try to save a picture, I right click on it, or use the little save thingy that pops up in the upper left of the picture. My problem is that it will only let me save the picture as a BMP file only, no matter if the picture itself is a BMP, JPG, or GIF, including a GIF that had any type of movement, like the ones in my sig at the buttom of this post.

I know that once you save the picture in XP that you can change it to any picture file type you wish, but if you save it from the BMP I am forced to save it as from the webpage as to a GIF that has movement, saving it back to a GIF loses the movement in the file.

Is there any possible way to chance any settings in XP that will allow me to save any picture file in it's original file format, such as GIFs with any movement within the file still intacted?

I believe there under IE/tools/advanced there is a box under multimedia that you disable or is that AOL?

There is a program called smartsaver that came with my scanner and you can get a trial version of that and jpegconverter program too.

use google

Skeletor is right. You can convert BMP files to JPEG files very easily. Try what Code said and right click and choose save as. It should bring the option up to change the filetype you choose to save the file as. Some files don't have the ability to be saved as another format, but you can convert those.

Hey Skel,

I did some research and I think I found your fix. Try this out.

http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak1844.aspx

When you try to save an image in Microsoft Internet Explorer, the image will only save by the default bmp only. For example, when you right-click an image on a Web page, and then click Save Picture As, the file name that appears is Untitled, and the file type that appears is .bmp, instead of the right file name and type.

This behavior occurs when a Damaged or Unknown program file (active or java) is downloaded to the downloaded program files folder.

To troubleshoot and resolve this, empty the contents of the Temporary Internet Files folder, and then delete any files in the Downloaded Program Files folder that are listed as either Unknown or Damaged.

Save an image in Internet Explorer to test and determine if the issue is resolved.

If the issue continues to occur after you remove all downloaded program files that are listed as Unknown or Damaged, try removing the other downloaded program files that are on the list. Note: The next time that you need one of the files that you removed from the Downloaded Program Files folder, you will receive a prompt to download the file to your hard disk in Internet Explorer.

Originally posted by Opiate-Zeo

Hey Skel,

I did some research and I think I found your fix. Try this out.

http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak1844.aspx

When you try to save an image in Microsoft Internet Explorer, the image will only save by the default bmp only. For example, when you right-click an image on a Web page, and then click Save Picture As, the file name that appears is Untitled, and the file type that appears is .bmp, instead of the right file name and type.

This behavior occurs when a Damaged or Unknown program file (active or java) is downloaded to the downloaded program files folder.

To troubleshoot and resolve this, empty the contents of the Temporary Internet Files folder, and then delete any files in the Downloaded Program Files folder that are listed as either Unknown or Damaged.

Save an image in Internet Explorer to test and determine if the issue is resolved.

If the issue continues to occur after you remove all downloaded program files that are listed as Unknown or Damaged, try removing the other downloaded program files that are on the list. Note: The next time that you need one of the files that you removed from the Downloaded Program Files folder, you will receive a prompt to download the file to your hard disk in Internet Explorer.

Huh. I don't have this problem currently, but it does seem familiar. I periodically clean out IE though, so that may explain it. This is a really good "good-to-know." Thanks for doing the legwork and sharing the results.

Archived