Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Samuels for Pace?

Renegade7

Here's a cooky idea. Just a thought. Orlando Pace is franchised by the Rams and they got our man Butler by retaining his rights. Unless they restructure Pace's contract, they will have only $1.8 million for the rest of the offseason. Even if they cut some people, they won't have enough cap space to make any off seasons moves for a while. So y don't we trade Sameuls and the fifth rounder for Pace and Butler? Gives them cap space, and we get that 3rd corner, top OT in the leauge, and get rid of any of Sexton's "leverage". By levergae i mean this crap about he won't restructure Sameuls contract unless we trade Ramsey. If anyone can restrucute Pace's contract to be reasonable its the Danny. Again just a thought.

-----------------------------------

0-16, 19-0, skins fan till i die!!!

Wow, there's a cap hit from trading too! Are u serious? dang, i seriously never knew that. I hope it isn't true because this seemed like a good idea to me. Again, just a thought.

---------------------------

Originally posted by Jay87

Don't do it Pace wants a 7 year 80 million dollar deal with a 18-24 million signing bonus.

Better yet ignore that sign Pace, yeah that's it....

Where did you see that at? I'm not starting an arguement, i'm just retaining information. That's the beauty of being young, you can only get smarter. But you have to want to be smart, and that's what i want. So again, where'd you hear that?

----------------------------

Originally posted by RedskinsFanInTX

It won't happen.:twitch:

Who ever thought before the end of the season Clinton Portis wouldn't be in Denver, let alone with the Redskins, in 2004?

:laugh: Beleive it or not, the brain needs oxygen eventually. Hence you have to open your mind, just a little bit. Just a little bit.

--------------------------

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/STL/7107425

ST. LOUIS (Feb. 21, 2004) -- The St. Louis Rams have designated five-time Pro Bowl offensive tackle Orlando Pace as their franchise player.

Jay Zygmunt, the Rams' president of football operations, said at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis that the necessary paperwork could be filed as soon as Feb. 23, a day before the deadline for franchise player designations.

Pace's agent, Carl Poston, told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that Pace turned down the Rams' earlier offer of a seven-year contract.

"They didn't expect me to accept that. That's an offer made just to say, 'We made an offer,'" Poston said, calling the terms well below Pace's market value.

The Rams placed the franchise tag on Pace last year after a Poston proposal sought a signing bonus of nearly $24 million and a potential overall payout of nearly $85 million over seven years. Both figures were about twice what the Rams were prepared to pay.

During negotiations, Pace skipped all of the team's offseason activities and missed training camp at Western Illinois University before reporting.

A designated franchise player must be given a one-year qualifying offer by his club equal to the average of the five highest-paid players at his position the previous season.

Both parties still can agree on a multiyear contract before March 17. After that, the sides cannot negotiate again until July 15.

Poston called the franchise designation now is "kind of a no-harm, no-foul thing," and said that negotiations would continue.

So if total payout is $85 mill, take out the signing bounus, that's $61 mill. Over 7 years, that averages out to about 8.7 mill a year. Hmm, so can it be done or not? Is it backloaded or what? Yea, i know i'm pushing it. But if it CAN be done somehow i'd at least give it a shot.

--------------------------

Originally posted by HokieSkinsFan

Wouldn't a move like this have obscene cap consequences? What's to debate then.

We're trying to figure out exactly what that cap hit is. At least that's what i want to know. I'm tryin to understant exactly why we should or should try this.

---------------------------

sexton leaverage is way over stated . why would samuels let him mess with his money for another player. thought if samuels plays hard and doesn't want to redo his deal it will appear to some to be becuase of sexton leverage, but it reality it will be because samuels wants a better deal then the skins are offering

Originally posted by Cleotis da Clown

PACE is a good player but is very lazy and takes off plays. However even when loafing he rarely gets beat.

Are you sure about that? Pace is probably the most overrated OT to have ever played in the NFL. What is surprising is that few point out during his best year he gave up 9 sacks (10-12 is his norm). Good Tackles normally give up 6-7 sacks a season, while all pros give up four or less. At least Samuels actually has had two all-pro level seasons. Paces hasn't had any. I'll give him this, he is a great run blocker.

I dont know Tom if you took out the cap hit from trading, teams would just sign players to long term contracts with huge signing bonuses and a heavily backloaded structure, then when the cap hit got too big, they could be shipped off for a 5th round pick or something. Thus bypassing the salary cap altogether. I dont think the current system is perfect but until something better comes along it'll have to do.

I think players contracts should be guaranteed, i'm from scotland and football (soccer) players contracts are guaranteed, this means that a long term deal would be 4, maybe 5 years tops. I think this would simplify the cap situation so much. Everyone talks about how wonderfully the Vikings an Eagles have handled the cap recently but lets see what they're saying in year 10 of McNabb and Culpepper's contracts when they're eating up 15 million a year in cap space.

Archived