Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Times v. Post

Awesome

It's not acceptable for Nunyo to be "okay" or "not too bad" as some have put it. The Washington Post is one of the most respected news sources in the world. Only the best of the best are supposed to be writing for the Post. This is not the Prince George's County Gazette.

Exceptional writing is the only acceptable standard at the Washington Post. Point blank, Nunyo is not hitting that standard. Coverint the Redskins for the Post is close to the mecca of sports print journalism. Maske was as good as anybody at writing a game story or leaking the report of a signing or trade. It's not about being "positive" or "negative" as that is not the job of a reporter...that's the reason columnists exist.

Art, thanks for reminding me.

Obviously his performance in 1/2 a preseason game means at least something, but weren't we constantly reading at the time about how he just wasn't working out at guard and so could only project to tackle? I know he had a serious injury, but there was a decent amount of the season where he couldn't beat out Kipp Vickers!

Clearly, Pastabelly was just showing his journalistic flexibility when he backtracked on his predictions. In all seriousness, though, he did have a point that Jones couldn't cut it.

By the way, does anybody know where he ended up?

I worked for the Times for 4 years (in advertising not editorial). Was not fun. They do break a lot of stories before other major news outlets, but those tend to be political/international and not sports. I may never have read the Times except for a few articles while on the can at the Times.

I do have several good friends that work there and need a paycheck so buy a paper and help feed their family cause the Times doesn't pay for crap, but then don't read the paper.

Originally posted by DraftNik

Art, thanks for reminding me.

Obviously his performance in 1/2 a preseason game means at least something, but weren't we constantly reading at the time about how he just wasn't working out at guard and so could only project to tackle? I know he had a serious injury, but there was a decent amount of the season where he couldn't beat out Kipp Vickers!

Clearly, Pastabelly was just showing his journalistic flexibility when he backtracked on his predictions. In all seriousness, though, he did have a point that Jones couldn't cut it.

By the way, does anybody know where he ended up?

DN,

No, we weren't reading stories at the time that Jones couldn't cut it at guard. We read stories that the team didn't think he could cut it at right guard. However, at left guard the team was thrilled with him. Left guard in Spurrier's system drew upon his tackle background and he was fantastic in his sole half at that spot.

Right guard required a lot more movement he was not accustomed to and the team didn't think he could come up to speed fast enough. There was no point in the season in which he couldn't beat out Vickers. He was our certain starter at guard. When Samuels got hurt, he was also the best player we had at left tackle. Some worried he might not be guard ready after having played most of the preseason at tackle.

Jones was injured and missed the entire season. He was then cut before the next season. What Lenny did in assessing him was completely rewrite what he had earlier in a fit of spite. It's bad journalism and there was no point contained that Lenny lucked into.

Ah yes. Those 2 "stories" by Len P. I remember those. :) That was the kicker for me right there. Started to really look at Len's stuff alot closer then. For those who don't remember or weren't here, a shining example of what Len P. is all about. :rolleyes: The stories Art mentioned.

Jones signed in April

"Still trying to stabilize the interior of their offensive line, the Washington Redskins on Tuesday reached a contract accord with unrestricted free agent Rod Jones, a six-year veteran who started for the St. Louis Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI last season.

Jones, 28, visited with Redskins officials on Monday night and most of the principle elements of the deal were agreed to then. The remaining details were hammered out Tuesday and Jones signed a three-year contract worth about $4 million.

Although he has primarily been a tackle most of his career, Jones will start at guard for the Skins, the spot some pro personnel directors have insisted for years might be his best position. He will also provide Washington a proven veteran backup to its tandem of standout young tackles, Chris Samuels and Jon Jansen, as well as overall leadership. His in-line blocking strength should project well to guard."

Jones in July

"The right guard, former Bengals starter and Rams backup Rod Jones, is moving inside from tackle to guard for the first time in his career. Jones is perennially overweight, has some problems with depression, and is too often off his feet. Still he is a better fit than what the Redskins have on the left side."

:cheers:

Archived