Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Aikman to NASCAR

TK

In an interview on FOX, he's partnered up with Rick Hendricks. Guess he felt it was time to do it with Gibbs back in DC. :laugh:

~edit~

Thought that sounded somewhat familiar.

From the AP Wire

1/29/03

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/motorsports/5060155.htm

Aikman Excited About Owning NASCAR Team

STEPHEN HAWKINS

Associated Press

FORT WORTH, Texas - Troy Aikman believes ownership of a NASCAR Winston Cup team will fulfill the competitive urges remaining for the three-time Super Bowl champion quarterback-turned-broadcaster.

"I have a competitive nature and have to find a way to solve that urge," Aikman said Wednesday during the annual media day at Texas Motor Speedway. "Having money and time invested fulfills it tremendously.

"Broadcasting is tough, but when the game is over and you put down the headphones, you don't care who won or lost."

Aikman has teamed up with Hall of Famer Roger Staubach, the quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys' other two Super Bowl wins, as part owners of a racing team they hope to have ready for the 2004 season. Bill Saunders, a former Trans-Am driver, is the team's managing partner.

As for the possibility of playing in the NFL again, the 36-year-old Aikman said that was unlikely. And if he did return, it wouldn't be for the Cowboys.

"The speculation about me, you can speculate about some other clubs, even as remote as that may be, but me playing for the Dallas Cowboys is not going to happen," Aikman said.

While intrigued by new Cowboys coach Bill Parcells, Aikman has no desire to be involved in a rebuilding program. Dallas has had three straight 5-11 seasons, the last two since he retired after being cut because of salary and health concerns.

"I had chances already to come back and play," Aikman said. "Just playing is not fun, and I did that the last three or four years of my career. If I don't come back this offseason, I will be done. But I don't anticipate playing."

After retiring from the Cowboys, Aikman joined Fox as an NFL broadcaster. He's part of the network's No. 1 team with Joe Buck and Cris Collinsworth.

For now, Aikman's primary responsibility is to help in the search for sponsors for Hall of Fame Racing.

"I'm not going to be out there changing nuts and bolts," he said.

Saunders said Hall of Fame Racing hopes to have a sponsorship agreement within the next 60-90 days.

"We have a legitimate, major-type sponsor interested," Saunders said. "There is value added because of Troy and Roger,"

Saunders and Aikman said a final decision hasn't been made on whether the group will try to buy an existing team or put together one from scratch. Determining the driver or drivers will come later.

Originally posted by TK-IV II I

As for the possibility of playing in the NFL again, the 36-year-old Aikman said that was unlikely. And if he did return, it wouldn't be for the Cowboys.

Who in their right mind would want Troy back on the field?!?!

He gets a concussion when you look at him the wrong way!

Hope he enjoys his new NASCAR adventures.

Personally, I can't stand NASCAR.

Originally posted by Redskins_Junkie

Who in their right mind would want Troy back on the field?!?!

He gets a concussion when you look at him the wrong way!

Hope he enjoys his new NASCAR adventures.

Personally, I can't stand NASCAR.

Seriously, how many concussions did he have? I know it was a lot. And think about it, if I had the money, I think I'd buy some sort of sports team, too. NASCAR seems to be the financially feasible 'poor-man's' football/baseball team, so it seems like a good idea for him.

The article posted above is a year old. Since then, Aikman & Staubach (Hall of Fame Racing) have tried to get a sponser for a race car but could not attract one. Recently, they got together with Hendrick Motorsports and will try to compete in 2005.

Aikman, Staubach form alliance with Hendrick

By Marty Smith, Turner Sports Interactive

March 7, 20044:03 PM EST (2103 GMT)

LAS VEGAS -- Hall of Fame Racing has formed an alliance with Hendrick Motorsports, and plans to run the entire 2005 Nextel Cup Series season, team owner Troy Aikman announced Sunday at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

Aikman and fellow former Dallas Cowboys quarterback Roger Staubach partnered with veteran Trans-Am driver Bill Saunders to form the team in January 2003, but lack of sponsor interest temporarily shelved the deal.

But the alliance with HMS, winner of five series championships, has once again jump-started the effort. HMS will provide Hall of Fame Racing with equipment, resources and technological assistance.

"We made the announcement a year ago that we were going to get into NASCAR, and like a lot of people in the sport currently, we found that it's difficult to get a sponsor," Aikman told NASCAR.com Sunday.

"We realized, also, we needed help on the racing side of things, so we had visits with Rick Hendrick about becoming a sister team to his operation and we feel real strongly about it. Obviously, Rick wouldn't get involved with this if he didn't feel it would be successful.

"We think it's another step for us. It gives us an opportunity to go in and talk to people and say, hey, we're for real." Hendrick is elated with the partnership, as well, knowing the importance of such established sporting icons having a vested interest in NASCAR.

"It's a great opportunity not only for Hendrick Motorsports, but also for NASCAR, to have two widely recognized and respected NFL greats come into our arena and chase another prestigious championship in sports," Hendrick said.

"We are extremely optimistic that our resources ... provide Hall of Fame Racing with a strong overall package to attract sponsorship and be competitive from the outset." No driver or team personnel have been hired, and won't be until a sponsor is secured.

Aikman said Hall of Fame Racing has been close to attracting sponsorship partners, but never could complete the deal. "I sincerely believe that now we are offering a sponsor as good a package as there is," Aikman said. "I hope all this translates into us racing in 2005."

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

And Tony Siragusa, while you're at it. :doh:

If he is back in broadcasting this season I will seriously shoot somebody.

Agreed! Siragusa is a big fat slob that has no place on the sidelines during a game other than distributing towels or cups of gatorade.

Archived