Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

comment on Lavar as a team leader

Ok I have a question,

I am a skins fan originally from Canada, we are a hockey loving nation and in my area of the country we do not even have a football program in our highschools (or anywhere else for that manner!!!) The first football game I ever saw was the 83 Superbowl, it was a huge deal as it was the first time anyone in my small town had seen a football game. I loved it and fell in love withthe skins and thought Riggins was the greatest athelete i had ever seen. I have stayed loyal to the skins since that day but haven't gotten really serious about following them untill the last few years.

The reason for the preamble is because I have a question about the ability of L. A. to be a leader for the players, and I don't want to be shot down as a "hater" or something, but would actually really like to know the thoughts of the more seasoned fans who have a much better knowledge of team dynamics etc.. than I do.

Does anyone feel that L. A. isn't mentally sharp enough to lead our team from a "captain" type role, and that his attempt to do so may have an overall negative effect on the success of the team?

I have seen him in several interviews/features, and have not really been impressed by his thinking skills. Although I have no football experience, i have played hockey professionally and i realize the importance of team leaders to the overall attitude of a team, and the importance of the team's attitude to the teams success on the playing field. A bone head for a leader can be a real downer especially if he is a quality player like L.A. and deserving of respect because of his performance. I know he wants to step up and take that sort of role, but quality on the field does not always transfer to quality leadership, and can actually have a negative effect if attempts at leadership turn into real gaffes.

Can anyone who is in the know for the skins shed a little light on this matter for me? I am very interseted to hear what people have to say.

I think Lavar can be a leader, he just needs a good leader (coach) to set him on the right path. As for how smart he is, you might be suprized. He's actualy pretty damn sharp for a guy who makes his living crushing people. :D He's supposed to be a very good chess player and if I remember right, he is interested min military history. The thing about Lavar that makes him seem like he's not so bright is that he can be downright goofy. Like a big kid. Anyway, thats my take.

BTW I became a Skins fan the same time as you. Guys like Riggo and Green were incredible to watch. My two favorite Skins of all time.

:cheers:

Leadership in sports reflects the coaching. Let's be honest, has LA had a coach in DC that reflected the type of leadership we are looking for from LA? Hell, he's had five different leaders, hence he's not overly excited about playing for Gibbs, YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He will, and boy will he step up. A well rested LA in the fourth quarter due to Portis torching the other team's Defense is a very scary thing, did I mention he's moving to the QB's frontside next season, this could be UGLY.......It could be a new movie playing in town "The Passion of Lavar."

This year Lavar has to step up and take charge. Lavar was in no position to take charge when he was a rookie. Then he had the likes of Bruce Smith, Jeremiah Trotter and Jesse Armstead ahead of him in line. Unfortunately, these guys couldn't lead squat. The one player who was vocal, Marco Coleman, was let go. I still think that was not a good move. Lavar has got to take over this year. No Excuses!

The only problem I have with Lavar is that he tends to mope. He doesn't take losing well where as Ray Lewis would take a loss and get his team fired up around him to kick @$$ the next week. Lavar just kind of hangs his head and says "oh well". I have no clue if he's really like this, but seeing him on the fields, sideline and hearing him on the John Thompson show each week kind of give me this impression.

I think people sometimes mistake quick wit with intelligence.

A man may have a ponderous intellect or difficulty speaking public fora, but that does not mean he lacks.

There are also a great deal of very affable and charming and clever individuals who give off the impression of intellect but are nothing more than shallow streams of rushing water.

LaVar is unquestionably a smart guy off the football field (even if his football smarts are still developing). FWIW, his wonderlic score at the combine was very good for an NFL lb, and above the national average. Whatever impediments there are to his becoming a great leader, they have nothing to do with his intelligence. (See, e.g., Ray Lewis, who is a phenomenal football player and leader, and who strikes me as a bit of a dope off the field.)

Archived