Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

'Skins have mixed reactions on Gibbs hire...

TankRizzo

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1727883

'Skins have mixed reaction of hiring

By Peter Lawrence-Riddell

ESPN.com

HONOLULU -- Next to the Super Bowl, the surprise return of Joe Gibbs to coach the Redskins was arguably the biggest news in the NFL this offseason. Gibbs inked a five-year, $28.5 million deal to coach the Redskins, replacing Steve Spurrier, who stepped down after just two seasons (12-20) as the Redskins coach.

Gibbs

From 1981-92, Gibbs built the Redskins into one of the dominant franchises in NFL history, compiling a 140-65 record (including the playoffs), going to four Super Bowls and winning three of them (XVII, XXII, XXVI). In those 12 seasons, Gibbs won at least 10 games eight times and finished with a losing record just once.

While LaVar Arrington, Laveranues Coles and Champ Bailey admitted that they aren't exactly sure what to expect from Gibbs next season, the consensus was that a change was needed. Even if Spurrier's system could have worked in the NFL, it wasn't working in Washington.

"I think coach Spurrier did a great job with what he was trying to do, but people just wouldn't follow behind him," said Bailey. "I think his system would have worked, but we just didn't have enough people believing in it.

"We need some structure. That's what we need -- somebody to lead us. We didn't have really good leadership."

But while they don't specifically know what kind of changes Gibbs has in store, his tradition of success with the Redskins is something that will benefit the team and energize a fan base that is starving for a winner. Gibbs symbolizes a time when the Redskins were one of the elite franchises in the NFL. And while they might still be among the elites in terms of stature, they certainly haven't been on the field.

"I know he's going to bring some tradition and some discipline and hopefully that's going to make a big difference in what's going on," said Arrington. "He built the tradition in Washington, D.C. that everyone is really excited about and everybody has been wanting to have come back, so the fans have obviously been really excited."

"I haven't been up there (in Washington D.C.). But I'm hearing about it all the way down in Georgia," said Bailey, who was named to the Pro Bowl for the fourth time in his five-year career. "I've gotten so many phone calls about him getting the job. They just love it up there. It's kind of like bringing back the old team and what he used to do."

But despite all the excitement, Coles admitted that there is always some trepidation any time a change is made.

"I had a pass-happy coach, so as a wide receiver, everything was great for me last year. I don't know what Coach Gibbs is going to bring in that respect," said Coles, who made the Pro Bowl for the first time in his first season with the Redskins. "So for me, it's still an unknown and when you're dealing with an unknown vs. a known -- which I knew I had with Coach Spurrier -- it's hard to know what will happen.

"This will be my fourth offense in five years and as a player you're just kind of nervous about what's going to happen and how things are going to go. But you just have to take your time and see how it works out."

But Arrington was quick to point out that change is part of life in the NFL and something that he's become used to in his brief NFL career with the Redskins.

"It's my fifth head coach in four years, so I don't get too excited anymore. I just wait to see what's going to happen," Arrington said.

Owner Daniel Snyder has shown a penchant for spending big bucks for both free agents and coaches, with little return. The question now is will Gibbs be able to succeed again in Washington where other big-name coaches like Schottenheimer and Spurrier have failed?

With stars like Arrington, Bailey and Coles, a young quarterback in Patrick Ramsey with a bright future and the No. 5 pick in the upcoming draft, the Redskins have the pieces for a quick turnaround in today's bottom-to-top NFL.

"If you look at us on paper, we should be in the playoffs every year," Bailey said. "But we haven't been doing it. I think that we definitely have the players, we just have to put it together."

And putting it together is why Gibbs was brought back to Washington.

Peter Lawrence-Riddell is the NFL editor for ESPN.com

sorry if this has been posted already, but I did check :o

Kind of a fluff piece, but there a couple good quotes in there. Particularly the ones about spurrier.

I find it hard to believe that Champ, and my other continue to say that if you look at us on paper every year, we should be in the playoffs, that is really not true this past year.

We had a first year starting QB, first year starting RB, basically no TE, a new O line learning to gel, and a pretty good WR corps.

On defense we have tremendous LB's and CB's, our safeties are mediocore, and the D Line is terrible.

If I looked at us on paper, I wouldnt think we'd be in the playoffs.

Originally posted by Cleotis da Clown

i'm surprised that there hasn't been a lot of spurrier bad mouthing by the players. it seemed like he was generally well liked and it kinda showed b/c the team did play hard most of the year. unfortunately playing hard doesn't always mean playing well.

I bet he was well liked. Nobody was accountable for a f'n thing and they all did what they wanted.:mad:

What a bunch of f' heads. Wait til they get a load of this coaching staff.:laugh:

Party time is over, boys, and I'm soooooo happy.:D

I don't give a rat's a$$ if the players liked Spurrier or Norvie for that matter :)

12-20 and 49-59-1 speak for themselves :mad:

if the players loved these coaches so much they should have gone out and played better for them :D

meanwhile, I will still take a coach that players respect rather than a coach they like.

as Parcells said last year he wasn't hired to bring pleasure to the Cowboys training camp :)

No wonder the players liked Spurrier. He was out of the building by 5 pm and only enforced his one rule about swearing during practice.

All the while, players were coming late to meetings or missing them altogether and like Darrell Russell coming up with lame excuses for their conduct.

Amen Bulldog ... the best coaches in the league have historically been really mean motherfu#$ers ... Lombardi, Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, etc ...

These kids on our teams without championship rings have no clue what true respect is. They may have liked the previous babysitters, but once they win some playoff games and earn some respect around the league, they will realize what they have been missing all along.

Gibbs & co. will give them a very big wakeup call :)

I cant wait till Gibbs and his staff kick the lazy asses of some of the players around. Club Norv and Spurrier are gone. Time to work for paychecks, and bad mouthers will be on another team or will be part of the 5.8% unemployment rate.

"I think coach Spurrier did a great job with what he was trying to do, but people just wouldn't follow behind him," said Bailey. "I think his system would have worked, but we just didn't have enough people believing in it.

"We need some structure. That's what we need -- somebody to lead us. We didn't have really good leadership."

Right there says it all. People by nature don't like change all that much and if you're one of the players on the Redskins whose been on the team for the past 4 years then obviously you're going to look at this as one more change, no matter who it is. Look at this way. In 2000 there were high expectations for the team, needless to say. There were again high hopes for the team when Marty was hired. then again underneath S.S. . , Especially this past season. Each time those hope/expectations have been dashed one way or the other. Now in comes Coach Gibbs. A walking, talking legend. A HOFer with all the credentials and a history that go along with such things. Talk about high expectations and hope. And that's just with the fans. Imagine being a player. Gotta temper that stuff with some hard reality of the past or you can set yourself up.

Okay, so we have a couple of quotes, ( more so from Lavar), from a couple of players. This is not, as the article implies, "The Skins". Just a couple of them. These guys are answering questions and doing so honestly. BFD. You can be damn sure both players and coaches know that talk is talk. It's cheap. Both players and coaches are looking forward to the first camp or 2 I'm sure. They have some things to prove to each other. " I'm as good as they say I am" and " I can still coach this game." So until then, let 'em talk. Joe doesn't seem to mind so neither will I.

:cheers:

The team is used to doing whatever they want and they liked that part but hated the losing part... What will happen will the players will resist the and not like the dicispline, but they will do it while winning 9 or more games this year. They will learn that the selfish era is over.. if you want to be selfish we can shop your A$$ around the league.....

I think that some of the players will probably be apprehensive at first, because Spurrier was a layed back coach, Gibbs certainly is not. I think the fact that the are going to be held accountable will not be liked by all the players (cell phone use etc, I still can't believe that one) I think the post still has a poll going on asking fans what they think Gibbs biggest obstacle will be. I believe the players. Players have changed, attitudes have changed this is a different N.F.L. For many these days it's all about the contract.:cheers:

Archived