Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stephen Davis' Reaction to Redskins

StevieInferior

Davis was a true Redskins at heart...we just booted the only guy who has defined the Redskins of old..Gibbs is probably cursing SS for getting rid of him. The only thing the Redskins could have been proud about all those years was Davis. He was the only player who go respect at the National level except Green I guess.

Good for Davis.

He might be still be here if his agent wasn't such a harda$$

His agent help firm on his contract so we had to let him go.

I wish people would remember this.

From pro football weekly

It’s never too early to look ahead to the offseason, when a number of notable players are expected to be available to the highest bidder as unrestricted free agents.

And while he’s still under contract for next season and beyond, we hear the odds are strong that Redskins RB Stephen Davis could arguably be the best back available on the market because the Skins might not be able to afford him.

Davis restructured his contract on July 31 to create some cap room for the Redskins and now has a five-year deal worth $31.5 million. But considering the escalator clauses in the contracts of OLT Chris Samuels and OLB LaVar Arrington (both will be entering their fourth years in the league next season) and the fact that ORT Jon Jansen is in the last year of his original pact, the Skins might need to restructure Davis’ contract again — or be forced to release him and risk losing him on the open market.

"We still expect the Redskins to honor Stephen’s contract," Davis’ agent, Steve Weinberg, told PFW last week. "But it is pretty clear that (the Redskins) are going to be way over the salary cap."

The cap situation was created a couple of years ago when owner Daniel Snyder went on a spending spree, which included signing CB Deion Sanders and DE Bruce Smith. Smith has done next to nothing this season, and Sanders retired one year after signing a seven-year deal that included an $8 million signing bonus.

There has been talk that Davis is not a perfect fit in head coach Steve Spurrier’s offense because he does not catch the ball out of the backfield as well as some backs, but Davis is by far the best running threat the Redskins have.

Snyder has gone on record to say the Redskins will do everything in their power to re-sign Jansen, who will be one of the hottest commodities on the market next year. But Snyder has remained mum about whether Davis remains in the team’s future plans.

On point carl ... the cap hit was over $10M. It was a no-win situation and I doubt Gibbs could have kept him either.

That being said Davis had every right to be miffed about not being integral to OBCs offense.

But blame for not keeping Davis belongs somewhere other than OBC.

If you are not a top 10 running back, then you shouldn't have a 10 million dollar cap hit. Stephen Davis IS NOT A TOP 10 RUNNING BACK.

Everyone would have these guys ahead of Stephen:

1) Tomlinson

2) Priest Holmes

3) Portis

4) Ahman Green

5) Deuce Mccallister

6) Jamal Lewis

7) Ricky Williams

8) Fred Taylor

9) Marshall Faulk

10) Edge

Taylor had more rushing yards this year then Davis. He also had 42 catches, while Davis only had 14. Fred is a more complete back. Edge also caought many more passes, and he's just as good a power rusher then Davis. He just gets fewer opurtunities with the high powered Colts offense. I think Ricky's struggles resulted with a pitiful run blocking o-line. Ricky is also a better reciever. Also, all three rushers do not fumble in critical situations.

Originally posted by mhd24

If you are not a top 10 running back, then you shouldn't have a 10 million dollar cap hit. Stephen Davis IS NOT A TOP 10 RUNNING BACK.

Everyone would have these guys ahead of Stephen:

1) Tomlinson

2) Priest Holmes

3) Portis

4) Ahman Green

5) Deuce Mccallister

6) Jamal Lewis

7) Ricky Williams

8) Fred Taylor

9) Marshall Faulk

10) Edge

I'd take Davis over Edge, Taylor and Ricky Williams any day!Good luck Stephen!!!

Originally posted by mhd24

Taylor had more rushing yards this year then Davis. He also had 42 catches, while Davis only had 14. Fred is a more complete back. Edge also caought many more passes, and he's just as good a power rusher then Davis. He just gets fewer opurtunities with the high powered Colts offense. I think Ricky's struggles resulted with a pitiful run blocking o-line. Ricky is also a better reciever. Also, all three rushers do not fumble in critical situations.

Fred Taylor over SD?? Wow,gimme whatever your on. Fred Taylor has talent and it shows.....about every 4 years when he's able to stay healthy for 1 season. :rolleyes:

Spurrier was a demon, straight from hell, for this organization.:evil:

I submit that his tenure was the worst in franchise history, taking into account W's, L's and other no so subtle impacts into consideration.

Thank god he is gone.:notworthy:

Originally posted by DieselPwr44

Fred Taylor over SD?? Wow,gimme whatever your on. Fred Taylor has talent and it shows.....about every 4 years when he's able to stay healthy for 1 season. :rolleyes:

Stephen Davis doesn't exactly have the cleanest bill of health either. I would still take him over Taylor, not Edge or Ricky though.

Also, I would take Brian Westbrook, any of the Vikings backs (they're all young), probably Kevan Barlow, Rudi Johnson, and Travis Henry(possibly McGahee) over Stephen Davis AT THIS POINT IN THEIR CAREERS. I love SD, but he's not getting any younger. RB's don't do well in their 30's especially bruisers like SD.

Archived