Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Turner to Coach Raiders...

redskinjones

Turner, 51, made his reputation as the offensive coordinator for Dallas' back-to-back Super Bowl champions in 1992-93, serving under head coach Jimmy Johnson. While more experienced than most Raiders head coaching hires, he fits the profile of a Davis selection in another key way: He's an offensive-minded coach who is known for his strong track record with quarterbacks. (SI.com)

The way I remember it he also had a reputation for lack of dicipline, players used to walk over the top of the guy. Looks like he could be a perfect fit for Raidernation. :shot:

All this makes you wonder what Jerry Jones really thought of Norv when he had his opportunities to hire him as head coach. I find it strange that he didn't even interveiw him in all these years. Al Davis must have been flashing back to his days with Jack Kent Cooke for this debacle. How do you go from John Gruden to Callahan then to Norv Turner??? There must be something in that bay water that is affecting the judgement of the denizens there. Not that I care though.

nobody of note wanted to coach the Raiders.

Davis assembled an old team that is now creaking and breaking apart after a brief run for glory which failed.

The qb is 38. The primary backs are 32 and 31. The starting wide receivers are 41 and 38.

There are a few building blocks in Porter, Buchanan, Harris and Woodson if he stays, but this not a choice job by any stretch.

In regards to the question of developing quarterbacks, Turner's record is not that great.

For those that point to Frerotte and Green still being in the NFL, I would point to his selection of Shuler as one that set the team back 5 years :(

Also, if he were such a great judge of talent than how come it took 2 years after Trent Green arrived here for Norv to give him a start for the club?

We screwed around with Hostetler who was 38 years old before we turned to Green, of whom Sonny Jurgensen said was the best quarterback in the Redskins training camps in both 1997 and 1998 and yet wasn't given much of a chance by Norv to show what he could do.

Turners a nice guy, great offensive mind, I wish him all the best as well, problem is he is almost to nice of a guy, but maybe thats what the Raiders need, talk about a stark contrast, Grudens glare/turners smile. The furious Black Hole is going to love that smile. I did like Green, however I don't think Norv developed him, he has had his best years under Vermeil, and Ferrotte, well, I got nothing on him...I remember an article that compared him to Montana, Wow.

Archived