Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will we be running the same 3 WR offense Gibbs used to run?

NVskinsfan

his staff is interesting and doesn't tip his hand either way. Bugel is not hanifan, so his presence seems to indicate a desireto go smashmouth old-school, vintage hogs. However, the presence of zampese offsets this slightly since zampese is an even older school coryell disciple from gibbs even older days that are more similar to gibbs later days with "the posse" and rypien.

One can't help but think however that gibs is a master at adjusting to the talent on his team, and it doesn't take much football knowedge to realize that this is a team built for stretching the field with three and even four five wide reciever sets.

Gibbs is setting himself up for flexibility on O, and that is perhaps the only thing you can safely expect.

-DB

I think most of the time we will see vintage Joe Gibbs. Two tight ends and smash-mouth football and two receivers, but also three receiver sets. Play action off of a strong running game and maximum protection for the quarterback.

Zampese is the new wrinkle here though, whose knowledge I am sure Gibbs will take advantage of. When Zampese was the Cowpies OC, they ran a multiple offense. So expect some of that too.

But Gibbs is not going to throw the ball all over the place as soon as they get off the bus -- ala Steve Spurrier.

Gibbs is a master of game planning and halftime adjustments, who will use whatever he thinks will work against an opponent. :)

The 3 receivers was more a myth in a way, it was our 3rd down package or occasional no huddle set. Gibbs most usual formation is 2 TE's or TE and a H-Back.

The fact you used to see the 3 receivers in the starting line up was just Gibbs way of making them all seem equal and not giving too much credit to one or the other.

I think that this will really depend on what players we aquire in the offseason.

Right now the players that he has are better suited for a 3 WR set.

If we get a FA RB and a TE in here or draft KW2, expect to see

WR Coles

WR Gardner

HB (insert name here)

TE (insert name here)

TE (insert name here)

In the past Gibbs always would gear the offence toward the strenth of the team and the weaknesses of the team they face. I would not expect anything any different. Wil the attack be balanced? Yes! Expect to see a lot of formations over the season. He will run the same play 5 times from 5 different formations. There are no easy reads.:coach: :geek:

Okay,Okay,Okay.....You guys gotta stop with the counter tre stuff. I'm starting to get a fuzzy feeling all over (you know what I mean:laugh: ).

Since we're speaking of the counter tre stuff, what running back would succeed better under this run scheme?

You guys got me thinking Gibbs might try his hand at selecting one of the RB's in this upcoming draft.

Also, why would he bring in Earnest Byner? I think we're gonna bring in someone like Dillion or draft a hard nose pound it up the gut RB (Kevin Jones - Steven Jackson).

We really need a back that defenses will respect and pay lots attention to so the play action can fully function.

"We're back. Al Michaels and John Madden here live from Fed Ex Field. the score 7-3 Redskins." Camera pans around a sold out Fed Ex. " The Redskins set to start their 3rd possession of the game from their own 45 yard line after a good return from Chad Morton. John?"

"Yeah. What you had going here were 2 good blocks from the guys in the wedge and one from Patrick Jouhnson. BOOM right there, (lines and circles appearing all over the screen), and then another good block by Bryan Johnson here. DOINK. And then a great move by Morton to fake that guy out and almost faking the kicker out, who ended up making the tackle after being pushed from behind by his own guy, ( laughter), who was hit and nearly knocked down by a good block from Cartwright".

"Which brings us back to the field with Patrick Ramsey bringking the offense onto the field. John, they ran the ball on all 5 first downs on that first scoring drive and one of them the classic Counter Tre which broke for a 21 yards"

"Yeah. And sooner or later you knew we'd see that play or at least a version of it run by Joe Gibbs. Good it was sooner. I rmember when Joe coahced back in the 80's when he had Riggens a---"

"Sorry to interupt John but Ramsey breaks the huddle and brings the offense to the line. Gardner wide to the left with Coles in the slot. MaCants lined up wid to the other side. And Robert Royal the Tight End at Hback. Betts deep in the backfield. Defense showing blitz. Ramsey shouting signals and sends Royal up to the line beside Johnson. He shouts again and Coles goes into motion to the other side to join Gardner. Defense looking alittle confused. Ball is snapped and the ....fake is to Betts who picks up the saftey coming in on the blitz. Ramsey has time to throw and hits..................Coles wide open crossing the middle on a deep post and nobody's going to catch him as he goes into the endzone untouched!"

Yeah. We'll see the 3 receiver set. And the single back and others. Plenty of teams doing those these days. It's the shifting man. The shifting, ( among other things).

:D

Archived