Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jevon's agent talking to Titans

KingGibbs

Originally posted by SRBFan

No way they can keep Kearse and DT Robaire Smith. Personally, I'd prefer to sign Smith and DE Darren Howard, who doesn't have near the history of injury Kearse has.

I agree. I think Howard would be cheaper and less an injury risk. Draft Sean Taylor in the 1st, resign Champ, draft a d-lineman in the 2nd or 3rd round, keep Haley, Holsey and either Upshaw or Wynn and sign both Robaire Smith and Darren Howard. That's how I would go about fixing the defense this offseason.

The Titans have given Smith the heave-ho. He'll be hitting the open market come March 3, 2004.

In order to franchise Kearse, the Titans are gonna have to clear $16 M in cap space just to get even, and then clear around $7 M to budget for any franchise tag. That's $23 M right there!

And that's not counting more money for rookies and other FAs. They just might have to clear something like $30 M. If they can do that and franchise or re-sign Kearse, you've got to tip your hat to them.

We need to completely overhaul the d-line. 3-4 new starters. And those guys have to be guys who can collpase the pocket. Just adding Howard and Smith and keeping two of last year's holdovers around won't fix much. If we did that, we need to draft Will Smith, Udeze, or Tommie Harris as well.

I don't know why people don't want him. He had his best season under Williams, and he hasn't really been all that injured. Too lazy to look up his injury history, but I'm almost positive that it's greatly exaggerated. If they really need to clear out 30 mil to get him, then consider him a FA. It's too hard to clear out 30 mil for one player these days. Why people aren't enthralled at the prospect of getting him is beyond me.

Actually Howard has injury problems also and did'nt this season just end on IR for him. Kearse played 48 out of 48 games his 1st 3 years last year he has a season ending injury and he's injury prone? He missed 3 games this season with a sprained ankle but he's far from injury prone.

Originally posted by Posse81

We need to completely overhaul the d-line. 3-4 new starters. And those guys have to be guys who can collpase the pocket. Just adding Howard and Smith and keeping two of last year's holdovers around won't fix much. If we did that, we need to draft Will Smith, Udeze, or Tommie Harris as well.

I don't agree. First of all I don't think we should try to rebuild the entire line in one offseason. I truly think 2 new starters and a 2nd/3rd round prospect to rotate with Haley, Wynn and whoever is left will be enough for next season. Williams will generate pressure using his aggressive schemes and Arrington, Trotter and if drafted Sean Taylor, would bring pressure on the blitz. Plus Howard and Smith would bring some of that pocket collapse ability we need. I'm not very high on Will Smith, Udeze or Harris. I just don't think any of them will be the impact players that some people think. They might be good players in time but their promise just isn't enough for me to pass on a guy like Taylor who will be a huge upgrade at safety and a great fit in the 46 defense.

Originally posted by Posse81

the Titans aren't the only team with d-line going to FA dude.

Ebenezer Ekuban - Dallas

James Hall - Detroit

Eric Hicks - Kansas City

Adewale Ogunleye - Miami (RFA)

Anthony Pleasant - New England

Bobby Hamilton - New England

Rodney Bailey - Pittsburgh (RFA)

Chidi Ahanotu - San Francisco

Grant Wistrom - St. Louis

Jevon Kearse - Tennessee

Ogunleye is like a diet Jason Taylor. Don't know what kind of draft pick the Phins would want for him, but as long as it's not our 1st rounder(GIMMIE SEAN TAYLOR!!!), we can't pass him up! If not, Howard can still be our premire passrusher, with Wistrom on the other side, our DE would be set. Neither Will Smith or Udeze is worth a 5th overall pick, and they'll be gone by the second round. Winstrom, Darrell Russell(yes i said it!!!), Smith, and Howard, wat's wrong with this line! Its a million times better then line we got now, its young(maybe not Wistrom), and with our d-line coach being a former d-cord, they'll only get better.

---------------------------------------

0-16, 16-0, skins fan till i die!!!

Lets also remember Darren Howard was injuried this season and still turned down a big extension from the Saints.I forgot the total value but it was a 7 million doller SB so he's not gonna be that cheap. I think Ogunleye is a stud pass rusher and is only 25 would be the best De we can get bar none maybe #5 for #20 and Ogunleyes rights. He had 9.5 sacks last year and this only his 3rd season led the NFL I believe with what 15.5 sacks.And he started taking Jason Taylors double teams late in the year and still produced.At #20 we can get Troupe,Starks etc.

Originally posted by OtNaz24

the Titans aren't the only team with d-line going to FA dude.

Ebenezer Ekuban - Dallas

James Hall - Detroit

Eric Hicks - Kansas City

Adewale Ogunleye - Miami (RFA)

Anthony Pleasant - New England

Bobby Hamilton - New England

Rodney Bailey - Pittsburgh (RFA)

Chidi Ahanotu - San Francisco

Grant Wistrom - St. Louis

Jevon Kearse - Tennessee

Ogunleye is like a diet Jason Taylor. Don't know what kind of draft pick the Phins would want for him, but as long as it's not our 1st rounder(GIMMIE SEAN TAYLOR!!!), we can't pass him up! If not, Howard can still be our premire passrusher, with Wistrom on the other side, our DE would be set. Neither Will Smith or Udeze is worth a 5th overall pick, and they'll be gone by the second round. Winstrom, Darrell Russell(yes i said it!!!), Smith, and Howard, wat's wrong with this line! Its a million times better then line we got now, its young(maybe not Wistrom), and with our d-line coach being a former d-cord, they'll only get better.

First of all.... no. Just no... to everything. Obviously there are more than just Titan D-Lineman in FA. We mention them because they are the best fit and most talented. Second of all, as it has been probably be said over 1000 times on this board, Ogunleye is going to cost a 1st and a 3rd, not to mention a contract almost as big as Kearse's (trust me, he will want ALOT). Third, DRuss WILL NOT BE BACK. I'm sorry. But he will not be here next year. And as for Howard being our premiere pass rusher, you forget that he isn't a premiere pass rusher. I'd like Wistrom, but only if we get Kearse or another pass rusher. The best would be drafting Harris, signing Griffin or Smith, signing Kearse, and signing another DE, like Eric Hicks or something. That's a D-Line. Don't try to pass off the crap you have up there as a defensive line. That's our line from last year with bigger names. We need a line that will get things done. We can't neglect it anymore. And as for Sean Taylor: I love him. I want to draft him. It's just that we need Udeze or Harris more. Sorry guys.

How is he curse? And by the way, how did that high priced FA Coles turn out? Please. It's not like I'm saying we should get Deion out of retirement. I've yet to hear a real reason to not get Kearse other than he's "Injury prone," which in and of itself is false. I wish people would give a reason to not get him, other than "he's a curse" or "he's always injured." For Christ's sake, you would think we're talking about Mussolini with a goddamn peg-leg. He's a premiere pass rusher who would be reuniting with the DC that gave him his best year. Lemme guess, OURYEAR, you want to draft one of the Miami guys also, don't you?

My concern is the pass rush. We have all the run stopping linemen we need but the d-line looked SO bad at times, I feel like a major overhaul is in order.

I could live with Chase at one tackle, but I'd really like to see us get two new ends who can get pressure.

Archived