Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Story" about Jim Fassel and 'Skins HC job from Pro Football Talk.......

TC4

If there is any truth to this, and with it being from Pro Football Talk we all know you must take this with a TRUCKLOAD of salt, then it would explain some things concerning Jim Fassel and why he isn't a HC now:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

FASSEL FARTS AWAY $4 MILLION?

During Jim Fassel's three-game lame duck period with the Giants, during which he knew he'd be fired but opted to stick around, there were rumblings that Fassel had something up his sleeve, based largely upon his nonchalant demeanor.

After the season ended, we heard that the Bears had pulled the plug on an interview with Fassel after his agent got tight-lipped when G.M. Jerry Angelo asked whether Fassel already had an offer from another team.

So when Fassel ended up with no job for 2004, we were scratching our heads as to what in the hell had happened.

We're now hearing that Fassel did in fact receive an offer to coach the Redskins -- with a package averaging $4 million per year.

And he passed.

Word is that Fassel wanted to shop the offer in the hopes of getting more elsewhere -- or in the hopes of squeezing more coin out of owner Dan Snyder's pocketses. But after Fassel walked on the D.C. offer, Snyder went hard after Joe Gibbs.

Fassel still will receive $2.7 million in 2004 from the Giants. But we think he'll be hard pressed to nail down an offer next year comparable to the one that got away in Washington.

Boy, somebody has it in for Jim Fassel to plant this rumor. :doh:

It's an obviously false rumor. Even if you accept the Redskins chronology of the Gibbs hire (I don't), you realize that Gibbs and the Redskins were in heavy discussions around New Year's. There's no way in hell an offer would have been made to Fassel as long as Gibbs was a serious candidate. (It's my opinion that the Redskins were in serious discussions with Gibbs going back many weeks, perhaps since late October, with Bugel as emissary.)

As I've posted previously, I think the interviews with Fassel, Green and Rhodes were strictly a ruse to satisfy NFL minority interview guidelines, while also getting free expert appraisals on the Redskins. Even if you don't buy that theory and believe the interviews were a backup plan in case the Gibbs hire didn't work out, that's light years from suggesting that an offer was made to Fassel.

Now, Fassel and his agent may have thought they had an offer, but that isn't the same thing.

I thought my first girlfriend was a virgin. Turned out she wasn't. :laugh:

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd pay a "salt's" measure of attention to that rumor either...especially if the story about the New Year's tete-a-tete between Snyder and Gibbs is even marginally true.

Totally agree with the "fate" thing, tho. The ONLY former coach of a team in the NFC East that would've been right was the one that Snyder got...Gibbs.

And for that, ALL IS FORGIVEN, DAN!!!

(at least until you start hanging around Joe's office with notes from Mel Kiper)

:dj:

Originally posted by Atlanta Skins Fan

Boy, somebody has it in for Jim Fassel to plant this rumor. :doh:

It's an obviously false rumor. Even if you accept the Redskins chronology of the Gibbs hire (I don't), you realize that Gibbs and the Redskins were in heavy discussions around New Year's. There's no way in hell an offer would have been made to Fassel as long as Gibbs was a serious candidate. (It's my opinion that the Redskins were in serious discussions with Gibbs going back many weeks, perhaps since late October, with Bugel as emissary.)

As I've posted previously, I think the interviews with Fassel, Green and Rhodes were strictly a ruse to satisfy NFL minority interview guidelines, while also getting free expert appraisals on the Redskins. Even if you don't buy that theory and believe the interviews were a backup plan in case the Gibbs hire didn't work out, that's light years from suggesting that an offer was made to Fassel.

Now, Fassel and his agent may have thought they had an offer, but that isn't the same thing.

I thought my first girlfriend was a virgin. Turned out she wasn't. :laugh:

I completely agree that the rumor is false and I've wondered whether they have been talking since the Bugel Consultant thing in October. Bugel did say that Gibbs called him up after he came to Redskins park and referred to him as Mr. Consultant and they spoke 4 to 5 times throughout the rest of the season.

Gibbs himself said he had decided to return to coaching before the end of the season. He also said as soon as SS resigned he began contacts with the Skins. There is NO POSSIBILITY ON EARTH that Snyder would have made an offer to Fasel if he knew there was ANY possibility of getting his hero Gibbs back to the Skins. Could they have discussed parameters, if Gibbs didn't pan out? Sure. An offer? No way.

Hmmmm lets see. Coach gets fired for going 4-12 from a job making 2.7 million. Coach gets job offer from rival team with a salary increse of 1.7 million (more than what most coaches make) per year.

AGAIN after going 4-12, he turns down more money to coach the rival team of the team that fired him, because he thought he could get a "better" offer somewhere else (knowing Dan Snyder pays top dollar in the NFL)

Yeah it all fits :rolleyes:

:bsflag:

fart.jpg

LITTLE KNOWN FACTS Vol. 234...

The decision to fire Jim Fassel was made shortly after he let loose a horrendous fart following a late season loss.

Johnny, the team custodian, who had the misfortune to witness the fart later told reporters, "I'll never forget it. The locker room stunk for days. I've been here for 30 years and I've never smelled nothing like it. It was worse than that time Parcells ate a whole pot of Boston Baked Beans before the NFC championship game against the Skins. The team really didn't have a choice after Fassel blew that one out, they had to let him go."

I think ASF is dead on here. The seed was planted when Bugel came out here and it germinated long before Jan 1st. There is no way an offer was made to Fassel. They may have had discussions as part of an elaborate ruse to mask the Gibbs negotiations. The only thing we know for sure is Daniel went from being one of the most hated people in the DC area to the second most popular on Jan. 7th.

I'm with ASF but would only add that this is yet another attempt at taking a shot at Snyder. Florio the HMIC at that site and I have had serious heated words via Email over their hack approach and lack of professionalism. Notice the Hobbit crack in that article, it's usually "Snyderbrenner". he didn't have much to sayt when I said "Thanks, I only hope he can have half the success Steinbrenner has"

They are obsessed with Snyder and his height. I'm sure they are among the many reporters who had their Redskins Park hall passes yanked and have to sit in the Parking lot to do interviews. Screw em and their mealy mouth unsubstantiated tripe articles.

It's called the rumor mill for a reason, so they can make things up and spread whatever little lies get hits to their pathetic site.

CT,

These guys aren't reporters. The guy who writes this stuff is an accountant. I don't know why stuff from that site even makes it on this site. This guy is a full-time employee as an accountant. He writes on his site part time with no sources whatsoever. I have more inside access than he does.

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2073206

There's a nonsensical report out that Jim Fassel rejected a $4 million annual offer from Daniel Snyder to coach the Redskins. It didn't happen. What has happened in Washington, though, is that former coach Steve Spurrier received somewhere between $4-5 million to walk away from the job. That should cover a lot of greens' fees.

I doubt that's the case DH. The rumor about how much he was paid has gone up and up. Started at $3 million. Now at between $4 and $5 million. According to Sonny, who might have a bit more knowledge than most, the agreement with Spurrier contained very little money.

I imagine he got something. Probably as much as a million. Perhaps it got to be higher if ASF's conspiracy theory that Gibbs was always in the fold for months is remotely accurate.

Archived