Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Just horrible!Still No Class!

Smooty

It is a shame that a fan is scared or nervous to go to a game on the road. I went to the Carolina game this year and didn't have any type of problems besides the "Redskins suck comments". I would go to a Giants game or Cowgirls game before I would go to a Eagles game in Philly. Seeing them lose yesterday is what they deserve:laugh:

:eaglesuck

Originally posted by redman

I don't disagree, but the point here is that what you see in Philly (or Oakland) doesn't happen nearly as much anywhere else. Is anyone afraid to wear a Redskins jacket to a Seahawks game, or even to Texas Stadium for a game against our arch-rivals? They sell just as much beer there as they do in Philly.

Gotta agree with you there redman

It's just that the fans in Philly are nothing more than peabrained neanderthals

neanderthal.gif

Philadelphia Eagles fans seen leaving the Linc after the Eagles 14-3 loss to the Carolina Panthers in the NFC Title game

I made the mistake of going to the Skins Eagles MNF game a couple of years ago (worst game Ive ever seen), but the saving grace of my night was seeing a group of eagles fans getting the piss kicked out of them in the parking lot outside fedex. The bottom line is if you dont act like an @ss then youll be alright. I cant wait to see more skins fans than philly fans at fedex this year. Maybe our team can take the field back as their own because right now fedex might as well be the eagles second home. I cant stand it anymore. If I have to ride on more metro listening to fly eagles fly all the way home, Im gonna shoot somebody...

Originally posted by TC4

Gotta agree with you there redman

It's just that the fans in Philly are nothing more than peabrained neanderthals

I think you give them too much credit. They're much more primitive than that. Given there use of tools (clubs, knives, baseball bats) I'd say that Eagle fans are a member of the species Homo Erectus .

model_160.jpg "Three in a row!! (burp) How the hell could we lose three championship games in a row??!! Hey guys that blind Panther fan and his seeing eye dog are cheering!! Let's show 'em they can't do that in Philly. Hand me that two by four. I'm gonna take the sorry **** out gangsta style!! HOOO YAAAHH!!!"

Yeah they're HOMO Erectus for sure.

Originally posted by Jethrodsp

I made the mistake of going to the Skins Eagles MNF game a couple of years ago (worst game Ive ever seen), but the saving grace of my night was seeing a group of eagles fans getting the piss kicked out of them in the parking lot outside fedex. The bottom line is if you dont act like an @ss then youll be alright. I cant wait to see more skins fans than philly fans at fedex this year. Maybe our team can take the field back as their own because right now fedex might as well be the eagles second home. I cant stand it anymore. If I have to ride on more metro listening to fly eagles fly all the way home, Im gonna shoot somebody...

I don't know the particulars of the fight you're talking about, but Jethro, in my opinion, this is exactly the problem. Idiot Redskins fans who think they are great 'fans' because they defend our home turf are thugs, just as they would be anywhere else. I'm not saying thats what occured in your example, for all I know the Skins fans were simply defending themselves. But I seriously suspect that a lot of the incidents we hear about where fans were beaten had nothing to do acting like 'an @ss', and more with simply supporting the visiting team.

In America, you ought to be able to go to a pro sports game, wearing WHATEVER the hell you feel like wearing, with your 6 year old in tow, and not have to worry.

Originally posted by Blazers21

The solution is simple.

1. Sell no alcohol at the game.

2. Allow no alcohol into the game.

3. Allow no one in who fails a breathalyzer test.

Incidents will drop considerably and immediately everywhere. So will profits. Guess what will happen.

Here's an idea. Act like you have a little bit of upbringing. They sell beer at all stadiums. My wife and I went to the Denver/New England game last year in New England. Both of us had on Denver gear. Not one person tried to pick a fight with us. Hell, we even walked up to a group of fans and started tailgating with them before the game. It's not the alcohol, it's the ass-clowns in Philly. I lived there for 3 years. They love the fact that people talk about how bad they are and they try and live up to it.

Originally posted by carlsbadd

SAD BUT TRUE

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/archives/cheap/2002/cheap1213.html

I'm absolutely aghast. This is an incredible story.

The most shocking part was the little old lady who told him "‘You've got a lot of nerve coming up here! We mugged the guy who dressed like that last year!' ", as if she was proud of that fact.

Sheesh.

<quote follows>

Philadelphia Story

By Dave McKenna

Chief Zee won't be going to Veterans Stadium this weekend to see his beloved Redskins' last game there. He never goes to Philadelphia anymore.

Chief Zee, the alias of Oxon Hill resident Zema Williams, has been the unofficial Redskins mascot for nearly a quarter-century. Williams gave himself the job on a Monday night in September 1978. It all started when a family friend offered him tickets to a game against Dallas at RFK Stadium.

"I'd been rooting for the Redskins back to when Eddie LeBaron was the quarterback, but until that Dallas game I'd never been to a game," he says. "So I wanted it to be special."

Williams showed up wearing a black robe and a feather headdress he'd rented from a costume shop, accessorizing the ensemble with a rubber spear. Cameras from the Monday Night Football crew caught Williams mock-beating on another fan dressed up in Cowboys garb, and, during the Redskins' 9-5 victory, the MNF heyday crew of Dandy Don Meredith, Howard Cosell, and Frank Gifford commented on his antics.

"I couldn't believe how many people said they saw me on TV after that," Williams says.

A mascot was born. Williams began showing up costumed at every Redskins home game soon after his ABC exposure, and at some road games, too. He used to try to travel to other cities within the division and particularly looked forward to the visits to Dallas. From the start, Williams says, Dallas management treated him like a celebrity, and always allowed him and Crazy Ray, his Cowboys counterpart, down on the sidelines to rain faux blows upon each other. The Fox network's telecast of the latest tilt with Dallas on Thanksgiving Day, for example, featured several shots of Williams, 61, and the equally ripened Crazy Ray going at it. ("I don't really know what's going on there," said commentator Cris Collinsworth, obviously disturbed by the sight of two costumed old dudes rasslin'.)

But there was nothing playful or faux about the scrap that brought Williams perhaps the most attention of his mascotting career. It happened in Philadelphia in September of 1983. He'd gone there to watch the defending Super Bowl champion Redskins play the then-lowly Eagles.

Legend holds that Philadelphians don't like folks showing up in opposition garb. Rob Charry, longtime news director for WIP-AM, the sports station in Philadelphia, says he's not so sure his town is any tougher on visiting rooters than other locales. But, Charry adds, if you show up at Veterans Stadium wearing non-Eagles colors, "You're basically putting a sign on your back that says, ‘Hit me!'"

That's apparently the sign Eagles fans saw on Chief Zee. Early in the game, two locals accosted Williams in the upper deck. They ripped his customized jumpsuit during an unsuccessful attempt to tear it clean off him. The assailants also grabbed the feathers off his head and threw them to the grandstands below. Veterans Stadium security guards came to Chief Zee's rescue, throwing his attackers out.

Williams, who was ruffled but unhurt, went downstairs and asked for help from Philly fans in retrieving his headdress, but, with John Riggins leading the Skins to a 23-13 win over the home team, they weren't in any mood to assist. The Chief left the stadium without the feathers. On his walk to the parking lot, a van cut in front of Williams and stopped. The back doors opened, and a thuggish quartet—including the two folks who'd been ejected for going after Williams inside the stadium—jumped out. They proceeded to deliver perhaps the worst mascot beating in NFL history on Chief Zee.

"They treated me like chopped meat," he says. "They ripped off my costume, smashed my eye socket so my eyeball was just hanging out, snapped my leg like it was a twig, and yelled, ‘You won't be jumping up and down in this stadium anymore!' They left me lying in my underclothes."

Williams says his fear of Philadelphians was so acute that he refused to let an ambulance take him to a nearby hospital. Instead, he hired a limousine and went directly to D.C. General.

For the rest of the season, Chief Zee went to games in a wheelchair or on crutches. None of his attackers were ever arrested, but Williams sued the firms in charge of security at Veterans Stadium and won. (A UPI report at the time said Williams received $14,250 from the defendants.)

Eagles officials invited Chief Zee to come back in costume as their guest for the 1984 game at the Vet. He accepted the invitation.

Bad move.

"They gave me the VIP treatment: drove me to the game and put me in the box seats," Williams says. "But this senior-citizen lady comes up to me and says, ‘You've got a lot of nerve coming up here! We mugged the guy who dressed like that last year!' And then she threw her drink in my face. I can still smell that drink."

Though it was only halftime, Williams got up and left the game after drying himself off. He hasn't been back to Philadelphia since. But he hasn't missed a Skins home game "unless there's a death in the family."

During the Redskins glory days, Chief Zee brought Williams all sorts of acclaim that probably wouldn't have come his way had he never donned the costume. Marion Barry proclaimed Nov. 7, 1985, "Chief Zee Day," and he's gotten keys to the counties of Prince George's and Fairfax. And two years ago, he was named as the Skins' representative to the Visa Hall of Fans, a sorta Hall of Fame for guys in face paint.

There's been some local backlash against his act, also. Chief Zee has long been a target of Native American groups, who aren't happy with the cartoonish image the character projects.

"A bunch of protesters wanted to fight me outside RFK a few years ago," he says.

Williams says that he has no intention of taking off the uniform and that he feels he has the right to wear Indian garb, because his maternal grandmother was a full-blooded Seminole. But though most Washington fans regard him as the team's mascot, Redskins management gives no support to Chief Zee. Perhaps because of the controversy surrounding the team's name, he's no longer allowed down on the sidelines during home games.

"I think they're trying to smother the Chief," he says, adding that he even has to come up with his own tickets to games at FedEx Field. Sometimes friends or folks who know of his game-day function provide seats. But often, Chief Zee says, he has to deal with scalpers.

That seems fitting.

Not to veer off track a bit, but ...

About 8 years ago i took my 2 boys, about 9 and 12 at the time, to an Orioles game at Yankee Stadium. I had been to many games and seen 3 simultaneous fights in my section during a Red Sox game. I was a little on edge as we went to our seats.

I couldnt have been more wrong. My kids, big Oriole fans, were trash talking the whole game with Yankee fans around us and they were as friendly as they could be. About the 7th inning a guy stands up and orders ice cream cups for all the kids within his range to toss to (it was a 97 degree afternoon game). He made a big point to toss a couple to my kids too. It was fabulous.

My kids thought I was a paranoid schichophrentic or something but $hit happens. And good stuff too ...

I’ve had season tix for 6 years now. I’m aware that every team has a share of thuggish fans, including the Redskins. And I’m aware that its only a minority of fans who act like this, including Eagle fans. The problem is that with the Eagles that fraction who misbehave is large enough that every game you see incidents. 7 other teams play at Fedex each year, and only rarely do you see any problems. That includes our division rivals, and teams like Carolina and the Jets who are close enough to send a large number of fans. But when the Eagles come to town you see multiple incidents every time. This last year was pretty typical:

Driving into the green permit lot, we were greeted by 4-5 Eagle fans with their middle fingers extended, screaming “f*** you!” at the top of their lungs. Not at anyone in particular, just indiscriminately at every car as it passed.

Somewhere in our section a young woman in an Eagles jersey brought a referee’s whistle in. She kept blowing it when the Redskin offense came to the line, trying to disrupt the play. The ushers eventually took the whistle away but let her stay.

Midway thru the third quarter a bunch of fans came tumbling down the stairs from behind us. Some idiot deliberately shoved another guy and set up a chain reaction. Amazingly enough there were no serious injuries. My 11-yr-old son was sitting in the aisle seat and just missed being crushed by a pretty big guy. This, of course, was the highlight of his evening and has become one of his favorite stories. :rolleyes: Didn’t see who did it, but the only guy security carted away was an Eagle fan.

There was an Eagle fan sitting directly in front of us with his wife/girlfriend. At one point a drunk Redskin fan walked by pointing at him and booing like an idiot. After he left, I said to the guy and his lady, “Sorry every drunken idiot thinks he has to prove how stupid he is”. The guy answers, “Hey, no problem, I got a lotta respect for that. You should see what we do to opposing fans in Philly. If you guys left us alone I’d think you were all pu**ies”. :doh:

Archived