Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

meth man's guide to fixing the dline

method man

i predict that after everything is said and done (smith going and dalton going) we will have roughly 15 mil under the salary cap. within this we can sign 3 good contributors to the dline who are not necessarily pro bowlers so here it is:

priority #1: NT

priority #2: proven pass rusher

priority #3: all around 3-technique DT

priority #4 (optional): the solid DE

as our first is NT i say we get keith traylor to a 2 year deal to sort of be a part-time player. there is some real beefy dts in the 2nd round this year including neil and tubbs. traylor can help to tutor whoever the guy we draft is. traylors problems the past couple years has been injuries. however i believe he can be effective in a part-time capacity. if we cannot get a beefy guy in the draft then we can have noble split the position with traylor until next offseason.

there are 4 main options in FA for the proven pass rusher. bert berry, darren howard, jevon kearse, and adewale ogunleye. for ogunleye we would prob have to give up a first rounder. so he is completely out of the question. so that leaves us with kearse, howard, and berry. howard is the all-around guy in this group. he is the type of 8-sack a season guy. berry had 12 sacks this past season but only weighs 250 making him bad against the run. kearse is the superstar a lot of ppl covet. he will prob not be franchised due to the titans being capped out. for one, i say we go for darren howard. however, we may not get him because NO also has a lot of money this offseason to spend on FAs. Kearse wants an 18 mil signing bonus and he wants to be paid like the best player in the NFL. 2 bad for him he is overrated due to his rookie season. his stats hav gone down since. this eliminates him. that leaves us with berry. he would clearly improve the pass rush but may be a liability in run coverage. he is a good hardworking player however who is a veteran that i would love to have on this team. by man services including nfldraftblitz (i think) he is not rated as one of the top DEs avalalbe so we may be able to get this guy relatively cheap.

now we move to the playmaking 3-technique tackle. there are 3 main options in free agency. they are cornelius griffin and robaire smith and brian young. all would be good options. griffin is a really good run stopper and smith is an overall playmaker. however griffin wants a big SB according to another thread on extreme skins. plus all the runsclogging up the middle was taken care of keith hamilton. however it would be intersting to strip a division rival of one of its best. but i think that the possibility of signing griffin is worse than some others. this would put us in position for robaire smith then. robaire was an all around playmaker this season with sacks and tackles. do not know all that much about him but i have been hearing only good things. we may be able to get him for a reasonable amount of money. brian young is a hungry solid guy who is not really remarkable statwise but has stats that do not show up on the scorecard however he is not as good as smith or griffin. so from this info, i say go after robaire because for also another reason in part. he was coached by gregg williams b4 so he has familiarity.

for priority 4, it is completely optional. however i believe we can get better production from grant wistrom for the same money from what we are getting from wynn. he is getting paid 3.5 mil a season which is way too much for an average player like him. wistrom does a whole hell of a lot more. he has a motor that is on the whole game. he is a gibbs type player. its going to be interesting. other options here would be chad lavalais and holsey. holsey becuz he would be cheap and does the same stuff as wynn. lavalais may be effective when moved to DE in the NFL with his caliber he can be the run-stopping pass-rush once in a while #2 DE. or lavalais can be a 3-technique guy however i believe he is too undersized to be.

NOTE: i may have some facts wrong but i am doin this at midnite

Your paragraphs make my eyes hurt :twitch:

DLine?

Get rid of everybody except Zellner, Holsey, and Noble. Give Ladaris Jackson another shot at DE. Draft a DT and DE, doesn't have to be a 1st or 2nd rounder, plenty of good talent comes in later rounds too. Try to sign Darren Howard, bring in Ted Washington as a veteran to plug up the middle. Give Daryl Gardener his last chance. Do a BUNCH of interviewing with Darrel Russell, give him a last chance. Gardener+Russell in the middle with their heads on straight would be a monster middle.

Just throwing ideas out, I don't get paid the big bucks. :)

MM, can we afford both a NT and a 3-technique DT? We do need a better DT, but I'd rather go for 2 DE's and a DT than 2 DT's and a DE.

Kearse wants too much, and surely the Titans won't let both their DE's go, so I think Robaire Smith won't be available (you have him as a DT, but isn't he a DE?).

Also, Raub, Ladairis Jackson was cut by the Bengals in November without playing for them. There must be something wrong with him in practice, he never played for us in regular season either. I'd say bring him to camp, but don't count on him. There must be a reason he hasn't been able to get into a game.

I'd like to see us go with Wistrom (he had 8 sacks this year) and Udeze in the draft, and Griffin if we can get him for a halfway reasonable price. Then maybe pick up a NT prospect in later rounds of the draft.

If we run the 46 like Williams likes we will need a nose tackle, even though the 46 lines up as a 4-4-3, the weakside DE lines up so far outside he's practically a linebacker, (L. Jackson may fit nicely with his speed) and the other 3 line up directly over the center and guards.

Right now I can't see anyone on our squad that can put a good push up the middle, even if they can get one on one with the center every play.

I like Robaire Smith, but that's just me. I think he's adept at playing within the 46, and I think he can be had at a reasonable price.

~Bang

Keep what we have. Bring in two new guys. A F/A and a 1st or 2nd round draft pick. The idea being to improve the DL without killing other areas of the team. Make it a good DL next year. Improve upon it again the following year, making it a very good DL in 2005. That's my thoughts on it anyway.

You're not going to build a Panthers/Bucs DL in one offseason, at least not without decimating other areas of the team.

Originally posted by fansince62

keep noble? what?!!!! the guy was average NFL talent BEFORE he arrived. does anyone seriously think he will reach even that level after his injury? next!!!!

we do not exactly need a superstar at nose tackle. noble is an average guy who could possibly backup keith traylor/ted washington. you guys are forgettin that becuz these 2 guys are ancient, they cant play a full game maybe 25-30 plays a game. another idea i would like to throw out is having noble and haley hav a competition in training camp to see who will backup whoever we sign. and we cut the other guy. Wistrom is not exactly a sacks guy. He usually averages around 4-5 sacks a season. however we can take away the 3.5 mil we pay wynn to pay wistrom.

Originally posted by Bang

If we run the 46 like Williams likes we will need a nose tackle, even though the 46 lines up as a 4-4-3, the weakside DE lines up so far outside he's practically a linebacker, (L. Jackson may fit nicely with his speed) and the other 3 line up directly over the center and guards.

Right now I can't see anyone on our squad that can put a good push up the middle, even if they can get one on one with the center every play.

I like Robaire Smith, but that's just me. I think he's adept at playing within the 46, and I think he can be had at a reasonable price.

~Bang

Bingo

LaDarius played quite a bit in regular season games in 2002 under Marvin Lewis until he got hurt in the Houston game. I have said before we need to give him another shot - I think Edwards just didn't know what to do with him, which is why he was deactivated every game until he was cut.

I'm also all for Darren Howard along with Robaire Smith. He's a FA - so he's not yet even figured into their cap which is already 16 mil over - he'd be too hard for them to re-sign.

I wouldn't dump Wynn just yet either.

Archived