Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who should be that backup qb with "decent" success?

method man

An important question that has popped up is who should be our backup qb. i think that we shouldnt go after a big name guy who will scare the s*** out of ramsey and force him to lose the starting job or we shouldnt go after fodder like jesse palmer. so i think the guy we should try to sign is doug pederson who is an 11 season veteran who has started 16 games and has been favres backup for like 3 years. he doesnt really have great stats (threw 16 ints i think when he started and only 4 tds) but i got a feeling he has been learning a bit behind favre. if he was really that bad, then i dont think mike sherman would have kept him at no. 2 on the depth chart. i believe they now want to move up the young bust akili smith to no. 2 to be favres replacement. thats my :2cents:

He had no weapons, same as McNabb. But McNabb came out and beat the Redskins (remember, the ones that won the division?) his very first game starting.

In relief for Favre, he has looked poor.

I don't think Ramsey is easily frightened, as Brad Johnson was. We can get someone better than Doug frickin' Pederson, I believe, and not worry too much.

Rich Gannon?

Dude, we already have a pretty decent backup man. You don't actually think that we have the money to spend on a backup for Ramsey when we need so many different positions filled do you? I don't think we need to spend any money on another QB, when we only have a certain amount of money with the cap. I say, spend the money on players who will be actually playing.

I disagree about that one man. Hasslebeck has a pretty decent arm, plus he has smarts, which Gibbs likes alot. If you had missed the games he was in, you would of seen how he reacted in the situations that Ramsey had so much trouble in.

Hasselbeck will not be on the team next year. He is not a Gibbs type QB. He has a weiner arm and needs to wear a glove in cold weather. He's as good as gone. Gibran on the other hand is smart and has a big arm. I look for him to be squirreled away on the roster somewhere.

Originally posted by Skinsfan62

If Neil O'Donnell is available I say we look at him. Flutie and Dilfer would be o.k. too.

Neil O'Donnell retired.

I don't think its a question of TH doing a good job or not. Gibbs wants a veteran QB. I'm not sure what TH's fate would be, but I'm sure somebody with experience will be brought in.

as my friend pointed out, hasselbeck does not really have much "talent." its him just taking advantage of the weapons. he is too hot streak/cold streak for my liking. feeley is a RFA. there arent really many good backups. gannon is below average now. he is 40. he should do the rite thing and retire. how about chris redman then? he has had some "success."

Don't laugh at my thoughts here, but how about someone like Rodney Peete. Rodney has his weaknesses but also some very valuable strengths. He has played in Dan Hennings system in Detroit and in Carolina and Dan was here in Washington with Joe Gibbs. Rodney also had a solid 2002 season as Carolina's starter and he had nothing to work with that season. He doesn't have great arm strength but has develoved great accuracy in his later years. He is also a very class act and a great locker room presence. When he was benched for Delhomme earlier this year he handled it with total class. And he's been a Redskin before. I would like to see him here as the #2 or 3 guy.

dont worry i wont laugh at you. your idea is great except that i dont think we will be able to get peete unless we trade for him. yea he is an old battle tested veteran who had success last year and is very smart at this point. could be used as a teacher to ramsey

:) I like how guys who were in grade school or younger when Gibbs coached here last, explain his type of players ....;)

Here is a list of Gibbs QB's

you will see that Many were right out of College, with little playing experience (except Williams, Hart, and Rutledge) and though his starters after Theisman had cannons, most of the backups did not (except Williams, Schroerder, and Rypien before they became starters)

1981 Roster

# Name Position Weight Height Age College

12 Flick, Tom QB 190 6'2 23 Washington

7 Theismann, Joe QB 192 6'0 32 Notre Dame

1982-83 Roster

8 Holly, Bob QB 197 6'2 22 Princeton

7 Theismann, Joe QB 192 6'0 33 Notre Dame

1984 Roster

17 Hart, Jim QB 215 6'1 40 Southern Illinois

7 Theismann, Joe QB 192 6'0 35 Notre Dame

1985 Roster

10 Schroeder, Jay QB 215 6'4 24 UCLA

7 Theismann, Joe QB 192 6'0 36 Notre Dame

1986 Roster

10 Schroeder, Jay QB 215 6'4 25 UCLA

17 Williams, Doug QB 220 6'4 31 Grambling State

1987 Roster

15 Robinson, Tony QB 200 6'3 23 Tennessee*

16 Rubbert, Ed QB 225 6'5 23 Louisville*

10 Schroeder, Jay QB 215 6'4 26 UCLA

17 Williams, Doug QB 220 6'4 32 Grambling State

1988 Roster

15 Archer, David QB 207 6'2 26 Iowa State

11 Rypien, Mark QB 231 6'4 26 Washington State

17 Williams, Doug QB 220 6'4 33 Grambling State

1989 Roster

16 Humphries, Stan QB 223 6'2 24 Northeast Louisiana

11 Rypien, Mark QB 231 6'4 27 Washington State

17 Williams, Doug QB 220 6'4 34 Grambling State

1990-91 Roster

16 Humphries, Stan QB 223 6'2 25 Northeast Louisiana

10 Rutledge, Jeff QB 195 6'1 33 Alabama

11 Rypien, Mark QB 231 6'4 28 Washington State

1992 Roster

12 Conklin, Cary QB 220 6'4 24 Washington

10 Rutledge, Jeff QB 195 6'1 35 Alabama

11 Rypien, Mark QB 231 6'4 30 Washington State

* Strike Players

Originally posted by I.M. Fletch

Don't laugh at my thoughts here, but how about someone like Rodney Peete. Rodney has his weaknesses but also some very valuable strengths. He has played in Dan Hennings system in Detroit and in Carolina and Dan was here in Washington with Joe Gibbs. Rodney also had a solid 2002 season as Carolina's starter and he had nothing to work with that season. He doesn't have great arm strength but has develoved great accuracy in his later years. He is also a very class act and a great locker room presence. When he was benched for Delhomme earlier this year he handled it with total class. And he's been a Redskin before. I would like to see him here as the #2 or 3 guy.

How can you actually believe that Hasselbeck isn't very good? He came in and played like 2 or 3 weeks after he was acquired. He doesn't have the greatest of arms or the strongest of arms, but he is smart as heck and he makes decent decisions for someone who has such limited experience in the league. I think he threw maybe four or five bad passes in all the starts he made for us. Well, that's interceptions, but his under and overthrown passes were simply from not playing alot. Can you name anyone that has NO experience in the NFL that could of come into a situation like having to learn Spurriers offense in a matter of weeks and be a starter? No way man. ****, Ramsey took two seasons to get even close to comfortable with Spurriers offense. Who exactly do you think we can get as a backup for Ramsey anyway? The QB's that i've heard from everyone in here so far have been absolutely ridiculous. Rodney Pete? Neil O'donnel? Trent Dilfer? Are you kidding me? It would be a dumb move to spend money on a backup player when we need players at starting positions on the team.

I think Gibbs will be very happy in what he sees with Hasselbeck, although I think there will be another QB brought into the fold. Hamdam is gone...a spurrier project. Out of the two you have to keep Hasselbeck I think. Whoever the QB is though, you know the new coaching staff will keep them well protected so that they can get the most out of their abilities. Also I dont think that Ramsey will ever be leaving the field my friends, if he could withstand the beating he took last season for as long as he did the few measley shots hes gonna take under max ptotect wont hurt him. Hes gonna have time to find Coles, Gardner and co and make the throws we know he can make with that arm.

On another note, I cant wait to see jansen, thomas, samuels, and dockery running counter trey in front whoever is in the backfield. I think it would be a mistake not to take Kevin Jones if hes available at #5. That kid is a star, Ive seen him play in blacksburg many times over the last 3 years...reminds me of Tiki Barber with much more pure speed (and not so many fumbles hopefully).

Rodney Peete has a 3 year contract with the Panthers. He will make a little over 1 million next year and a little over 2 million in 05. There is a possibility he could be released by the Panthers. He has a high price tag for a back up now. But he received that contract when he was the starter, so that's understandable. I think it would be a good move to trade a lower round pick for him. By the way, i never said I wasn't impressed with Hasselbeck. He showed some grit this season.

Archived