Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dayton Daily News: Dillon's Days Done in Cincy

goldenster95

The most interesting excerpt of this article is this . . .

Terminating Dillon's contract will make him an immediate unrestricted free agent. Plenty of teams — including the Redskins, Cowboys, Raiders and Buccaneers — will pursue him, but not for outrageous money. A three-year, $5 million deal would be more like it.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/bengals/daily/0111beninsider.html

BENGALS INSIDER

Dillon's days done in Cincy

By Chick Ludwig

Dayton Daily News

Sunday, January 11, 2004

CINCINNATI -- Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis likes to remind us that tailback Corey Dillon is still under contract with two years remaining on his five-year, $26.1 million deal.

But let's face it: He's gone.

Dillon and his family — wife Desiree and daughter Cameron — have vacated their Symmes Twp., home. The five-bedroom, three-bathroom, two-story structure — complete with theater room and oversized, four-car garage — sits empty on a wooded level lot in a gated community. It's up for sale at $605,000.

Dillon's services will be up for sale, too, at some point this offseason, and already, the talking heads are name-dropping Dillon's next team. ESPN's Michael Irvin said he has an apartment in Dallas that Dillon can rent. ESPN's Sean Salisbury called the Washington Redskins a perfect fit.

The Bengals would love to deal Dillon for a draft pick, any draft pick. But he'll be difficult, if not impossible, to trade because of his salary ($3.3 million in '04 and $3.8 million in '05), his age (he turns 30 in October) and the physical pounding he's taken over seven seasons.

If he can't be traded, his contract will be terminated — but not before the club signs restricted free agent Rudi Johnson to a long-term deal. Johnson is a workhorse who runs with balance and power between the tackles, and has enough speed to break away. His emergence in 2003 (215 carries, 957 yards, 4.5-yard average, 9 TDs) makes Dillon expendable.

Johnson's agent, Denver-based Peter Schaffer, will handle the negotiations with the Bengals.

"I know he'll take care of it," Johnson said. "I just hope everything works out so that I'll still be here."

Terminating Dillon's contract will make him an immediate unrestricted free agent. Plenty of teams — including the Redskins, Cowboys, Raiders and Buccaneers — will pursue him, but not for outrageous money. A three-year, $5 million deal would be more like it.

As for quarterback, Lewis is doing the right thing. He won't use a competition to settle this controversy. He'll name a starter by minicamp in May, and he'll stick with him.

Lewis believes it's important for the No. 1 quarterback to get a bulk of the snaps, and it's just as important for his teammates to get accustomed to the starter.

My vote? Carson Palmer, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2003 draft, gets the nod over NFL Comeback Player of the Year Jon Kitna.

Lewis needed Kitna to stabilize the offense in the first year of a new regime, and Kitna came through with career highs for TD passes (26), yards (3,591), completion percentage (62.3) and passer rating (87.4). He raised the level of play of everyone around him, helping wide receiver Chad Johnson and right offensive tackle Willie Anderson reach the Pro Bowl.

But the fact remains that Kitna was the only quarterback to take every snap for his team this year, and still couldn't reach the playoffs. Teammates admire Kitna's leadership, but they must realize that 8-8 or 9-7 is the best Kitna can do, and now it's time to pass the torch to Palmer, whose enormous talent can take the team to a higher plateau.

This is a critical offseason for Palmer. Quarterback coach Ken Zampese will continue to push him to study film, absorb the playbook and learn the offense. Once he has a thorough understanding of coordinator Bob Bratkowski's scheme, the faster he'll play. Palmer should start in 2004 with Kitna as the backup.

The highest priority of the offseason — next to signing Rudi Johnson and naming a starting quarterback — is improving the defense. The team needs a defensive lineman, linebacker, cornerback and safety, plus a center-guard and, of course, a tailback to groom behind Johnson. What they don't obtain in free agency, they'll get in the draft.

Contact Chick Ludwig at 225-2253.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Eagles retain Deuce Staley. They have plenty of cap space and easily could devote some money to make Staley a lifelong Eagle. Why on earth would they let him go and potentially improve a divisional rival (all NFC East teams come to mind).

Okay, I am not a huge Dillion fan, but if we could sign him to a relative modest salary, He has a passion to win, something Gibbs likes, and then draft a good young back to understudy Dillion for a couple years.... it maybe worth a shot.

But Gibbs knows more than I do.....

Originally posted by Drex

I am not a fan of Dillon's attitude and personally, I'd prefer Deuce Staley

You're joking right?

Both have been in the league seven years. In that time Staley has broken 1065 yards exactly once, and that was five years ago. Dillon has broken 1100 yards every season except for this last one.

Here are their career stats. It's not even close:

Dillon: 1865 att 8061 yds 4.3 avg 45 TDs

Staley: 1201 att 4802 yds 4.0 avg 22 TDs

Now, Staley has 83 more receptions and 1000 more receiveing yards than Dillon, but he's not exactly Marshall Faulk either.

Gibbs is going to want a durable, dependable runner who can carry the ball 30 times a game if needed. Dillon could probably fill that role, while Staley is pretty much none of those things.

Originally posted by Cleotis da Clown

so are we going to cut our other 3 runningbacks (trung, ladell, sultan)?

Trung: Yes

Sultan: Maybe (he didn't play much as a rookie, but doesn't seem to fit Gibbs power running game)

Ladell: No (keep him to keep the other back(s) that we get fresh.

Originally posted by Henry

You're joking right?

Both have been in the league seven years. In that time Staley has broken 1065 yards exactly once, and that was five years ago. Dillon has broken 1100 yards every season except for this last one.

Here are their career stats. It's not even close:

Dillon: 1865 att 8061 yds 4.3 avg 45 TDs

Staley: 1201 att 4802 yds 4.0 avg 22 TDs

Now, Staley has 83 more receptions and 1000 more receiveing yards than Dillon, but he's not exactly Marshall Faulk either.

Gibbs is going to want a durable, dependable runner who can carry the ball 30 times a game if needed. Dillon could probably fill that role, while Staley is pretty much none of those things.

I guess that settles that. I have never liked Staley much either. As for our current backs, I would cut Trung. If we need a third down Kelvin Bryant type, I think Morton could fit that role and might be easier to keep around than Trung because of their contracts.

We have invested a second round pick in Betts and he looks solid. His only knock is his ability to stay healthy. I'd like to see him stick around as the #2 back.

"Gibbs is going to want a durable, dependable runner who can carry the ball 30 times a game if needed. Dillon could probably fill that role, while Staley is pretty much none of those things."

My post never questioned Dillon's statistical performance, but rather his attitude.

A successful running game doesn't always consists of a situation where one back gets 30 carries a game. Philadelphia's current backfield is an example of that. An even more vivid example of this is our own beloved 1991 Superbowl team:

Byner 274 1048 3.8 5 TD

Ervins 145 680 4.7 3 TD

Riggs 78 248 3.2 11TD

If Staley is signed, he would be a cheaper alternative to Dillon, as well as providing us with an Byner type player in an effective backfield by committee, while also allowing the team to use more money towards the d-line. (Just a hunch, but I think Gibbs can get something out of Ladell Betts).

Just my opinion.

Originally posted by Drex

"Gibbs is going to want a durable, dependable runner who can carry the ball 30 times a game if needed. Dillon could probably fill that role, while Staley is pretty much none of those things."

My post never questioned Dillon's statistical performance, but rather his attitude.

A successful running game doesn't always consists of a situation where one back gets 30 carries a game. Philadelphia's current backfield is an example of that. An even more vivid example of this is our own beloved 1991 Superbowl team:

Byner 274 1048 3.8 5 TD

Ervins 145 680 4.7 3 TD

Riggs 78 248 3.2 11TD

If Staley is signed, he would be a cheaper alternative to Dillon, as well as providing us with an Byner type player in an effective backfield by committee, while also allowing the team to use more money towards the d-line. (Just a hunch, but I think Gibbs can get something out of Ladell Betts).

Just my opinion.

Two points, and then I'm done because I'm not all that high on Dillon either. :)

First of all, Dillon may be no Saint, but remember he's been stuck in The Abyss Into Which Players Dissappear for years now. I cut him a little slack for being sick of being there, even if the Bengals hit that astronomical 8-8 mark this year.

Secondly, wasn't Staley the guy that held out this offseason? You think he's an angel, and a cheap one at that? I'm not so sure.

Production-wise, there really is no contest. Dillon is leaps and bounds better. Attitude-wise, well, maybe Dillon's a problem and Staley isn't. But I don't think there's THAT big a difference to ignore Dillon's obvious superiority on the field.

I guess I turned sour on Dillon after the final game of the season when they were defeated by their arch-rivals, the Browns, to knock them out of the playoff hunt. A reporter begins to interview Dillon, right after an excruciating loss to an arch-rival that prevented them from having a winning record as well as a chance to make the postseason. Instead of focusing on the loss, or the teams progress this season he instead emphasizes repeatedly his desire to leave the team.

I never suggested that Staley was an angel but compared to Dillon, in my opinion, he is the lesser of two evils:)

Also, I think Staley is a player who comes to play in big games and performs with an edge, a chip on his shoulder. I also believe that his post season experience the last few years could also help the skins become winners next season. We have enough players in the locker room who have suffered from losing or mediocrity enough, why add another in Dillon? :)

I would give Dillon a 3 yr.-6 million contract in a heartbeat. He would be perfect and that is not exactly a "break the bank" contract. He would only be 32 at the end of it, about the time we would want to get rid of him anyway.

I don't consider myself to have "character issues" but I would be a huge grouch too if I played on the Bengals for all those sucky years.

-----

I did find the Michael Irvin comment pretty funny. Who would move into his apartment (with their wife) if cained up hookers were knocking on the door all times of night!! :)

Dillon fits our needs the best in terms of physical attributes, and perhaps least (among FA RB's) in terms of character. Still, I'll trust Gibbs with this one. Dillon's always performed for a terrible franchise, and I think he's looking for redemption after getting displaced by Rudi Johnson, so Gibbs may be able to tap into that hunger.

I just wish Warrick Dunn was 4" taller and 30 lbs heavier, because that would be a no-brainer . . .

Archived