Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the latest on Russ Grimm?

scottb

I just saw one article that basicly said 'burg wouldn't let him go. (And, I think, the way NFL contracts go, the only way to get him without their permission is to make him head coach. Offensive or Defensive Coordinator might be good enough, but I don't think so.)

I just saw one article that basicly said 'burg wouldn't let him go. (And, I think, the way NFL contracts go, the only way to get him without their permission is to make him head coach. Offensive or Defensive Coordinator might be good enough, but I don't think so.)

Here is a list of the Steelers Coaches. He is only listed as OL coach. An OC position would be a promotion.

Steelers Coaching Staff

Bill Cowher Head Coach

Defensive Coordinator

Mike Mularkey Offensive Coordinator

Keith Butler Linebackers Coach

Tom Clements Quarterbacks Coach

Russ Grimm Offensive Line Coach

Dick Hoak Running Backs Coach

Wide Receivers Coach

John Mitchell Defensive Line Coach

Darren Perry Assistant Defensive Backs Coach

Willy Robinson Defensive Backs Coach

Kevin Spencer Special Teams Coach

Ken Whisenhunt Tight Ends Coach

Mike Miller Administrative Assistant

Lou Spanos Administrative Assistant

Chet Fuhrman Conditioning Coach

Here is a list of the Steelers Coaches. He is only listed as OL coach. An OC position would be a promotion.

Steelers Coaching Staff

Bill Cowher Head Coach

Defensive Coordinator

Mike Mularkey Offensive Coordinator

Keith Butler Linebackers Coach

Tom Clements Quarterbacks Coach

Russ Grimm Offensive Line Coach

Dick Hoak Running Backs Coach

Wide Receivers Coach

John Mitchell Defensive Line Coach

Darren Perry Assistant Defensive Backs Coach

Willy Robinson Defensive Backs Coach

Kevin Spencer Special Teams Coach

Ken Whisenhunt Tight Ends Coach

Mike Miller Administrative Assistant

Lou Spanos Administrative Assistant

Chet Fuhrman Conditioning Coach

The Steeler's OC, Mike Mularkey, is a candidate for the Buffalo HC job. If he gets it, the Steelers might promote Grimm to the OC position, making him ineligible to take a parallel job as our OC.

If Mularkey doesn't get the Bill's HC job, then he will probably stay as the Steeler's OC, and we might then be able to get Grimm by promoting him to be our OC. Not sure if the Steelers can block that kind of a promotion or not, but Grimm would surely be pissed if that happens.

The Steeler's OC, Mike Mularkey, is a candidate for the Buffalo HC job. If he gets it, the Steelers might promote Grimm to the OC position, making him ineligible to take a parallel job as our OC.

If Mularkey doesn't get the Bill's HC job, then he will probably stay as the Steeler's OC, and we might then be able to get Grimm by promoting him to be our OC. Not sure if the Steelers can block that kind of a promotion or not, but Grimm would surely be pissed if that happens.

Originally posted by MidPennSkin

Good post. This is my thinking exactly. I already posted this on the thread "Zampese." :)

Good post. This is my thinking exactly. I already posted this on the thread "Zampese." :)

Except that I don't think they can compel Grimm to take a 'promotion' if he desires not to. Which would take us back to square one. There's got to more to this than we're aware of?

Except that I don't think they can compel Grimm to take a 'promotion' if he desires not to. Which would take us back to square one. There's got to more to this than we're aware of?

Here's some more info on teams preventing a coach under contract from being interviewed by another team. From

'>a thread on Terry Robiskie comes the report that the Cleveland Browns wanted to interview 49er QB coach Ted Tollner for the job of Offensive Coordinator. They were thwarted because the 49ers refused to give Butch Davis of the Browns permission to interview Tollner for the OC position. Davis then named Terry Robiskie the new OC for the Browns.

So it appears from this that a team can prevent one of their position coaches from taking a job as OC with another team. Bad news regarding Russ Grimm - looks like the Steelers can deny us the right to interview him. Still, this kind of a move can't improve the morale of the coach who was denied a promotion opportunity.

Here's some more info on teams preventing a coach under contract from being interviewed by another team. From

'>a thread on Terry Robiskie comes the report that the Cleveland Browns wanted to interview 49er QB coach Ted Tollner for the job of Offensive Coordinator. They were thwarted because the 49ers refused to give Butch Davis of the Browns permission to interview Tollner for the OC position. Davis then named Terry Robiskie the new OC for the Browns.

So it appears from this that a team can prevent one of their position coaches from taking a job as OC with another team. Bad news regarding Russ Grimm - looks like the Steelers can deny us the right to interview him. Still, this kind of a move can't improve the morale of the coach who was denied a promotion opportunity.

Russ Grimm, the offensive line coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers, has been linked to Gibbs's incomplete staff. But Grimm, a former Hog, isn't likely to land with the Redskins. Grimm is highly regarded in Pittsburgh and has a chance to become the offensive coordinator if Mike Mularkey is named as Williams's replacement in Buffalo.

Russ Grimm, the offensive line coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers, has been linked to Gibbs's incomplete staff. But Grimm, a former Hog, isn't likely to land with the Redskins. Grimm is highly regarded in Pittsburgh and has a chance to become the offensive coordinator if Mike Mularkey is named as Williams's replacement in Buffalo.

Archived